State Department Warning re: Mexico

navybankerteacher

Yes I heard on the news last night Puerto Vallarta is added to the red zone now. If the Mexico Riviera cruise does eliminate Puerto Vallarta I hope the bring back La Paz because I REALLY want to go there and I can't fly direct into there. I really don't want to have to fly to Cabo and drive 2 1/2 hours to La Paz. The beaches there look as nice as the Caribbean IMO. Why they ever took La Paz off the itinerary is beyond me.

I can't remember what cruise line does this trip but here's a thought, maybe the other cruiselines that have the Mexican Riviera destinations could use this as an alternative. We can all take in the beauty of Americas coast line. :)

California Coastal: Roundtrip Los Angeles

7 Days - Los Angeles, stops include, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Diego, Ensenada, Los Angeles

I'll be on that particular cruise next month on the Sapphire Princess but I believe they're still doing Mexico off and on and the Carnival Spirit is doing a 9-day cruise to Mexico (I don't remember all the ports but I do know they go to Cabo twice - they don't stay overnight as the ship is not allowed to stay overnight - they sail and come back the next day which I find is very odd - why not just go to a different port - maybe LaPaz or somewhere else like where HAL goes right)?

I'll be on that particular cruise next month on the Sapphire Princess but I believe they're still doing Mexico off and on and the Carnival Spirit is doing a 9-day cruise to Mexico (I don't remember all the ports but I do know they go to Cabo twice - they don't stay overnight as the ship is not allowed to stay overnight - they sail and come back the next day which I find is very odd - why not just go to a different port - maybe LaPaz or somewhere else like where HAL goes right)?

Will be leaving on the Sapphire Princess next Sat (Feb 18th) for the Mexican Riviera we stay overnight in Cabo and I've been told they do stay anchored overnight ..Princess is one of the few that does..I believe it's a fuel consideration..Last tender stops at 11:00pm and resumes again the next morning at 6:00am....

You need to read the warning again. It isn't along all Pacific Coastal areas. Nothing in effect for Cabo, nothing in effect for Puerto Vallarta, and just a warning for Mazatlan to not go out and about either early morning or late evening and to stay in tourist areas.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the latest on what's going on in PV Mexico. We decided to change our plans a bit by doing our excursion in Cabo,& as far as PV goes if Carnival is still planning on going to there,we'll just do our activies on the ship. Our whole vacation is really based on the idea,of having fun on the cruise ship anyway so it's all good!:)

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Cruise-Ship-Passengers-Robbed-at-Gunpoint-140459093.html

This is the latest on what's going on in PV Mexico. We decided to change our plans a bit by doing our excursion in Cabo,& as far as PV goes if Carnival is still planning on going to there,we'll just do our activies on the ship. Our whole vacation is really based on the idea,of having fun on the cruise ship anyway so it's all good!:)

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Cruise-Ship-Passengers-Robbed-at-Gunpoint-140459093.html

POSTED BY ANOTHER CRUISER HERE ON CRUISE CRITIC.

That is actually the incorrect report of the incident. Once the ship docked yesterday, they were able to interview someone involved. It was a lone person who had a gun and a knife and he stopped them on a nature trail hike and robbed them of their wallets, backpacks, cameras, etc. No one was hurt and it's generally felt it was an isolated incident. This same excursion goes weekly so the robber most likely had it planned. One of the passengers got his picture on her camera. No word of him being apprehended but Carnival and the local authorities are working together in hopes something like that doesn't happen again. There are no plans to pull Puerta Vallarta at this time, but that particular excursion has been cancelled.

Similiar incidents have happened in the Caribbean, no one is immune from the bad guys.

"Similiar incidents have happened in the Caribbean, no one is immune from the bad guys."

I agree. Ocho Rios is one scary place IMHO. I have been there three times with each visit worse than the previous. We had a tour transfer bus boarded by a local trying to sell drugs. The driver physically forced him off the bus. I believe Princess ceased Ocho Rios port calls at the end of that season.

Most of us have similar concerns/experiences in parts of the Caribbean. Add to that my experiences in the Med - tour member robbed in Athens, and I was pick pocketed in Barcelona the one day I didn't wear a money belt. And gypsies as thick as fleas in Venice.

All travel has some level of risk. The added adventure is something we must decide for ourselves.

Hi NBT! It's Carla from our Noordam cruise;).

No Mexico for me, gracias. Not a chance. I would walk the streets of Cartagena (just did two years ago) with less concern than Mexico. The drug killings have moved North and IMHO the whole country is unstable. And- they kill to embarrass the government. The more audacious (bodies left in cars, parked on highways during rush hour; babies killed and dumped in pits) the killings are, the more attention they get. Cruisers? Think about it.:confused:

Archived