Anyone else experience the ship moving 2 or even 3 weeks after your cruise ended?

Tim Cruise

This happened to me last 7 day cruise. I noticed it most bend over putting on my shoes. I darn near fell off the chair. I notices this ahh dizzyness almost 3 weeks after getting off the cruise. I thought thats the way I would be for life.

Anyone else experience this or am I nuts?

You are not nuts. It happened to me after my lat cruise, which was, I think, my 9th. Had not been a factor before other than the day I got off the ship. Last time it lasted more than 3 weeks. I was dizzy, nauseous, and miserable. But, it did go away eventually. I'm pretty convinced it was because I did not have another cruise already planned at the time :)

You are not nuts. It happened to me after my lat cruise, which was, I think, my 9th. Had not been a factor before other than the day I got off the ship. Last time it lasted more than 3 weeks. I was dizzy, nauseous, and miserable. But, it did go away eventually. I'm pretty convinced it was because I did not have another cruise already planned at the time :)

HA!! Same with me after my last cruise which was my ninth cruise. I thought it was weird that I didn't feel anything when I first stepped on land. It actually took like a day to kick in and then lasted for about two weeks. It was cute and fun at first reminding me of the great time I had. By the time the 3rd day hit, I was done with it.

The only explanation I can find it happening on this past cruise and not previous ones is that this past cruise was really rough like I've never experienced before.

Anyway, I don't know if its normal but do know that you are not alone. :D

Happy Cruising!!

David

No you are not crazy. Its called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome( or MDDS)

I have vertigo, I can simply turn around and lose my balance! On a ship I have no problem, I think it balances me out!! A few drinks helps too!

Believe it or not, I get this sensation from a cruise that had little or no movement from high seas! The rougher the water, the less I have the after effect!

This info may help.....

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/mdd.html

http://www.etete.com/mdd/knowledge.html

I also have this problem. It has been getting worse for me as of late. I also have Meniere's disease which makes me dizzy if I am tired, which happens on the cruise as I stay up all night and then get up early to walk. It was really quite bad 2 years ago. I feel it a lot when I go to church when I am just standing still I almost made an appointment with the ENT to see if there was something that could be done when I get back. I have not had a problem on the ship since the early 80's when we were on smaller ships and was told the stabilizers were different.

Cindy

You are normal. After my first experience on cruise, the wall around the house kept rocking up and down on me. Even when i returned to work , i see the wall and ceiling getting unbalanced. Also a co worker of mine who had cruises more then I did still get the sea legs. She apologized in front of everyone on her sea legs. It should go away. Just drink plenty of fluids in case you didn't feel the sea leg or you can be light headed in other way like dehydration.

I have always suffered from it for at least three weeks after disembarkation. It seemed to get worse when I was in the bathtub or washing dishes for whatever reason.

This last cruise, I decided to experiment with taking Bonine (even though the seas were quite mild) the last couple of days and it made all the difference...not one episode of dizziness! I only took one everyday.

Now I know I can prevent the three week rocking that I have always had. Yay!

Sailors would talk about getting their Land Legs back which is what this sensation is. Modern medicine now calls it MDDS.

We just try to enjoy this after effect of a cruise by shutting our eyes and pretending we're on our balcony. When it is bothersome, we find placing a leg against something stationary helps the mind compensate (table leg or even on/over the edge of the bed at night).

Many folks who use the Patch on a ship actually get motion illness when they get home from MDDS is they take the patch off immediately. Best to wait a good 48 hours. Our good friend found this out by accident and was 'green' for a good day after getting home to her surprise.

I have had it every time after getting home from a cruise. It doesn't start until I start doing laundry (within an hour after getting home) after bending to change loads from front load washer to the dryer. As soon as I stand up it the ship rocking feeling starts and lasts about 3 days. I have never felt nausea. Just more annoying than anything to feel like i'm still on the ship and I'm at home thinking about having to go back to work.

Did you take any medication for motion sickness while on your cruise? My sister in law took this during a two week trip and she suffered dizziness and vertigo for several weeks after she returned. It turned out to be a side effect of the medication, which she kept,taking more of to alleviate the post trip symptoms. She eventually had to have a dr help her set up a weaning schedule before the symptoms stopped.

If your problem has gone on a while and you've taken those meds while on board you might want to look into that with your dr.

This happened to me last 7 day cruise. I noticed it most bend over putting on my shoes. I darn near fell off the chair. I notices this ahh dizzyness almost 3 weeks after getting off the cruise. I thought thats the way I would be for life.

Anyone else experience this or am I nuts?

for me, the worse the ships movement on that last day of sea, the longer it lasts.

so far, it lasted a week and a half, and was worse when i was in showers, or a long hallway.

I love that "floaty" feeling. I want it to last as long as possible. Alas, it does go away when you book another cruise.

:rolleyes: Just off a cruise, and I hope it doesn't go away until after my Sept cruise. LOL

It's amazing that I've never had motion sickness on the ship, but once home my internal stabilizer still feels like I'm out to sea. After a week or two I miss it because the vacation has worn off. Sniff.

I have always suffered from it for at least three weeks after disembarkation. It seemed to get worse when I was in the bathtub or washing dishes for whatever reason.

This last cruise, I decided to experiment with taking Bonine (even though the seas were quite mild) the last couple of days and it made all the difference...not one episode of dizziness! I only took one everyday.

Now I know I can prevent the three week rocking that I have always had. Yay!

YES! This is my plan for my upcoming March cruise. I always get "Land Sick" for weekes after I cruise. I even cruised through Irene and didn't get sea sick. I'm hoping the Bonine helps because working with "sea legs" is NOT fun :)

I used to get that feeling after every cruise that was 7 days or longer. It took about 50 cruises, and we have cruised up to almost 50 days at one time, but now when I get off of a ship..........there is no rocking.

I have heard of the syndrome and believe that it has something to do with the middle ear.

Patti.......my thinking must be wrong, because I believed that it was when I no longer rocked onshore.......that I finally had my "sea legs"!:D

Rick

Same thing here...I found that taking meclazine ...for dizziness and pseudophed to dry up inner ear fluid which could contribute to the post ship dizziness ,helped me alot...quicker recovery this time around. After a day or so I was back to normal...

My last cruise (second) I experienced this. It lasted for about 2 weeks but progressively got better as the time went on. My girlfriend only experienced it for about 1 week which was odd because she felt the ship a lot more than I did when we were onboard. We were on the Enchantment and had rough seas due to a nearby tropical storm in August. My first cruise on Navigator in 2004 I experienced it for about 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this after our cruise in '08 - it lasted 5 months for me! Like the others, I'd feel it more in the shower. Getting in the car and going for a ride made it go away. Definitely MdDS!

I finally realized that the chair I was sitting on at work was making things worse. It was old, rocked slightly front to back and side to side, as well as rolling. I tightened it up and actually sat on a stationary chair for a while too. Hopefully you will realize like I did one day that it was slowly getting better. I've never had a problem with motion in my life, but now things will still bother me at times.

Don't avoid the bending over - doing a lot of painting while bent over was what helped me to recover. I have a friend who has never lost the sensation. There are support groups to help you. Taking meds to ease the sensations can prolong the recovery, women are more sensitive than men, women in their 40's especially. Migraine sufferers are also more susceptible to MdDS.

Good luck - hope it goes away for you. I will never go on another cruise for fear that I won't recover next time.

Archived