Arctic circle

mjmalino

Hello everyone,

My in-laws are going back to Alaska this fall and post-cruise want to spend a week in the arctic circle. Can anyone recommend where to go, what to do, etc. for that region for the first week of September?

Thanks,

The Arctic Circle is a sign post at the side of the road. Perhaps they're thinking of Arctic locations like Barrow, Kotzebue, Prudhoe Bay?

A week is a long time unless they plan on flying to a few different villages. Or are they considering the drive to Prudhoe Bay on the Dalton Hwy? I think they need to do a little research on the various villages to see where tourist opportunities are available.

Overnight tours are offered by Alaska Airlines, Northern Alaska Tours and other vendors if you google.

http://northernalaska.com/

There are also mail flights and other interesting options offered by Warbelows, as well as scheduled service to small arctic towns.

http://www.warbelows.com/tours.htm

http://www.alaskaair.com/travelinfo/destinations/barrow-alaska-overview

Hello everyone,

My in-laws are going back to Alaska this fall and post-cruise want to spend a week in the arctic circle. Can anyone recommend where to go, what to do, etc. for that region for the first week of September?

Thanks,

Oh my gosh! A week? What in heavens name will you do? I travelled the Dalton highway and stayed 2 days in Prudhoe Bay and was very glad to get out. There is nothing there but the oil company and a very very simple motel that has the basic necessities. The weather will be about to change at that time and you could see snow. I would not want to drive the Dalton in the snow. I would say to spend your week in the interior and Kenai Penninsula.

I haven't driven the Dalton Highway in Alaska in the arctic (its on my bucket list). I opted to do the Dempster Highway in Canada instead (destination Inuvik, NWT).

This is just my opinions...others very well might disagree with me.

When it comes to the interior of Alaska and Western Canada, traveling is about the journey, not the destination. As others have mentioned, unless you are the adventurous type, there really isn't a ton to do in the arctic region. You get someplace, snap a few pictures, and that is about it. If you are the adventurous type or you have a goal, there are things to do (photography, birding, canoeing, etc).

I went up to Inuvik with my father a few years ago and I thought it was a beautiful trip. We went in early June and while it was unseasonably warm that year, there was still ice on the rivers. That being said, the trip isn't for everyone. We got to Inuvik, there really wasn't much to do. We had a steak, stayed the night, mailed some post cards to my kids the next morning, and went back home. People thought we were nuts to drive all the way up there and turn around.

I thought it was the trip of a lifetime. Why? I got to spend some time with my father, I got to meet some terrific people, and the scenery is some of the most beautiful I have seen. I would love to take my family together when the kids get a bit older.

If a person can look at a mountain and see its beauty, I think the arctic would be a great trip. If they can look at a wheat field glimmering in the setting summer sun and think it is majestic, then the arctic would be great for them. If the see a mountain and wonder why they are looking at some trees and rocks, then I would recommend they pass on the trip.

That being said....

In the beginning of September, your in-laws could be hitting the end of the "fall colors" in the arctic. This is one of my goals in life to see that. The photos I've seen of the tundra during the color change are stunning.

I am unsure of their schedule or where they plan to be. Personally, I recommend driving the Taylor Highway (Top of the World Highway). It is a highway that runs from Tetlin Junction, AK (Just south of Tok, AK...SE of Fairbanks) to Dawson City, YT. The scenery is stunning to day the least. The drive can be a bit intimidating as there are drop offs with no guard rails, but it is well worth it. Once in Dawson, there isn't much to do. There are some old Gold mining operations they can tour outside of town. Jack London had a cabin in Dawson City that is open for viewing.

Snow might start being a concern that time of year. I would recommend they have plans and backup plans to those plans. Check on road conditions before they go anywhere.

I also recommend they get a copy of "The Milepost". You can buy them locally or order it online from any bookstore. They also have a website that is excellent for pre-planning (http://wwww.milepost.com). The Milepost covers most of the highways in Alaska and Western Canada. It will tell you more than everything about what there is to see, eat, and stay on the drive (almost to the point of boredom to tears).

I can post some pics of the arctic and the tundra if you like. They can kind of see that the terrain is like and decide if its for them (again, my pics are from the Dempster in Canada, not the Dalton in Alaska)

I think one could spend a few days in some arctic communities and have a pretty interesting time. If I were planning such a trip, the last thing I'd be considering would be driving anywhere; far better to fly to two or three communities and see how life is lived.

I'd pick Barrow, Kotzebue and Nome, all easily available using Alaska Airlines. If I only had the time or budget for two and not three (since getting between towns in the north and northwest is complicated) I'd pick Kotzebue and Nome. Even though Nome isn't above the arctic circle, it's a very interesting little town, with a lot of history and interesting things to see for a couple of days. Kotzebue is on the Arctic Ocean and above the arctic circle, and is itself a very interesting Eskimo town - a lot of native leaders come from Kotzebue or the villages nearby.

There are adequate tourist facilities in all three towns, and Nome and Kotzebue are connected by a direct Alaska Airlines flight (including Barrow would require flying back to Anchorage then a separate flight up to Fairbanks then BRW - quite a hassle.)

It would be a trip more about local history and culture than wildlife or scenery, although as mentioned at that time of year the tundra can be gorgeous, and if they were adventurous a charter flight from Kotzebue up the Kobuk Valley could be a scenic jackpot - it's fantastic and undiscovered by 99% of visitors to Alaska (and I'd wager 95%+ of residents.)

Having traveled a great deal in that area of Alaska, I never recommend that anyone drive the Dalton Highway (the old Haul Road) without experience and willingness to be very, very indepent. The service areas are very far apart and the big trucks blow down that road making time as much as possible.

My old bones can no longer handle that sort of driving. Just too rough.

I agree about doing air travel with local tours, but such can be pricey.

Local accomodations are far from fancy and some people complain bitterly about them.

Everything is expensive.

Having traveled a great deal in that area of Alaska, I never recommend that anyone drive the Dalton Highway (the old Haul Road) without experience and willingness to be very, very indepent.

PennyAgain makes a very good point and one that I often forget about. When you are driving these remote highways, most are nothing more than a gravel road. Most of the roads have little or no services. It is not uncommon to go hundreds of miles without cell service. For people who feel "help is a phone call away", this can be a new experience.

You must be prepared to do minor automotive work in case of breakdowns, have spare tires (we went through two full sized spares on our journey and was down to a can of Fix-a-Flat), and have basic provisions to survive a night on your own (highly unlikely as the roads do have some traffic in the summer and people will stop to help....not sure about how many people are out and about in September).

I can't speak to the Dalton, but in Canada, the general rule is the farther north you get, the more rustic it is. Some of the motels I've stayed at made the Motel 6 look luxurious. Some of the restaurants made me think my College cafeteria was good. It isn't that the accommodations are terrible, it is just the quality is much less than what people are used to and tend to be much more expensive than people anticipate.

Personally, working in the fast-paced communications sector, I love vacationing in an area where work couldn't find me even if they needed to. The drawback is that it also can be a bit tough calling back home too (most hotels don't have in-room phones and some towns will literally have 1 public phone in the entire town...strangely, wi-fi seemed easier to find than phones).

Again...good points PennyAgain!

I agree with Slider about the "journey". The Dalton highway is a terrific journey in and of itself as you pass through various terrains and see the wildlife along the pipeline. That being said, the highway itself is rugged, bumpy and full of ruts. We spent the night at Coldfoot which was an old pipe builder's camp. It was a part of the "journey" that I would not repeat. While I admit it would be interesting to visit some of the native villages in northern Alaska, Prudhoe Bay was a destination that belonged to the oil companies and at the time I was there if offered little else. I would hope the OP's family intend to rent a rugged 4 wheeled vehicle for the trip up the highway as a normal vehicle will take a beating.:eek:

And I assumed flying to a village or 2 to spend a week. So please, OP, clarify the plan! And it takes a special kind of traveler to do any of these 3, especially in September.

Flying in for a day or 2 would be a different matter.

Archived