Arctic Circle Cruise Tour

PCruzer

We are going on the cruise/tour that goes up to the Arctic Circle leaving on June 27th. We start in Anchorage then go on to Denali, Fairbanks, Coldfoot, Prudhoe Bay, and fly back to Anchorage before boarding the Ryndam in Seward for the 7-day trip to Vancouver. We could use some advice as to what kind of weather/temperatures to expect, especially in Prudhoe Bay. Also, if anyone has done this trip, are any meals included on the land portion? (I tend to think they are not.) What about on the train to Denali and Fairbanks? Also, what kind of clothing do you suggest for the land portion. We have done 7-day Vancouver round-trip cruises 2x, so we pretty much know what to bring for the cruise portion. It is just the land portion we are not sure about. If anyone has any advice about anything for this trip, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)

The historical average temp in June is 38 degrees. Average high is 45.2 degrees. So I believe it's safe to expect chilly temps. Dress warmly! Don't know about your other questions as I've not taken this tour. But it sounds fascinating. I'd love to do it sometime.

I live in the Yukon and have been to Inuvik which is about the same as Prudhoe Bay. Be prepared for 24 hour sunshine. Have a good windbreaker and a polar fleece in case the wind is bad. It won't be shorts weather - if you are planning a trip out onto the ice have wind pants and underwear and decent shoes. Otherwise we are in summer here - can get into the high 80's or be in the 60's.

When in Denali be sure to take a trip into the park to see the wildlife and Mount McKinley - I have been told the train ride is great. Have driven between Fairbanks and Anchorage. I will answer any question I can - am sure there are others who have done some of these trips.

Patti

No meals are included unless specified, budget 50% more than you would at home. Be prepared for Prudhoe Bay- ugly industrial area. and long boring bus ride, not a real scenic area, so you may want to bring some books and or magazines. Plenty has been burned last year with miles and miles of dead blackened areas. I've seen some real "shell shocked" people getting off tour buses in Coldfoot. :) The train, Fairbanks- Denali Park is scenic, but the other sections are superior, in my opinion, ride is 4 hours. Leaves Denali Park at 4pm arriving Fairbanks around 8pm. Again, no meals unless specified they are included. You will still need a wide range of attire. You can hit a heat wave in Fairbanks and cool temps inside passage. :)

A few years ago I was in Denali in June, it was by far the warmest part of Alaska I visted, warmer than Anchorage, and much warmer than Seward. I was fine in jeans and a t-shirt in Denali, while I needed a jacket and gloves on the water by Seward.

Whatever you do, don't forget the bug spray. DEET is best, if you don't mind the increased possible risk of brain damage:eek: I have never seen swarms of mosquitos as I did in Alaska. It was impossible to even do some nature walks that I would like to have done as we would have been bled dry if we tried.

Archived