How do you know you're on a cruise?

Cruzin' Daddy

For me it is the smiles....

Weeks of planning, the woes of packing, the expense, the troubles work will have for me when I get back...the process of simply leaving the house can be murderous....

Then...I see the happy people (and the miserable ones) huddled in lines waiting to board. My kids are looking forward to what fun will be had, and my wife is ready to shed the day to day. We board, we find a place to chill while we wait for our cabin to be ready.

Once the cabin is ready we flood in, we unpack, we do all the regular things...we muster, we shuffle around and venture out into our new home away from home that is going to bring us to some exotic places that are so unlike our everyday.

But for me.....all that is the precursor, for me I really smile, and feel totally elated and completely relaxed when I see this big hulking hotel resort on the water pull from her dock.....

When we are underway.....I know I am on a cruise!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....18 days to go until we feel the Carnival Dream under us as we leave port on our seven days of vacation!!!!

3 things... the DING of the card reader, the BING of the elevator and the Italian sounding lady saying DECK 9, LEEDO!

I'll have to third this one and only add that every time I cruise...on the first night I find my way to the aft of the ship and take a long look at what I call "night water". The ocean is blue most days, but at night it is a magnificent onyx with a zipper of white foam. It's terrifying and mesmorizingly glorious at the same time...every time I see it, it feels new...and I know I'm crusing!!!!

Stepping on the deck after wandering up the walkway- knowing that the ship can't leave without me- then walking in and there are waiters everywhere with a funship drink. Then I am there. I smile just thinking about it- and 40 days to go...

I have a perfume that I bought for my very first cruise 5 years ago. I rarely wear it but when I smell it, it automatically takes me back to the cruise! Whenever I go on a vacation I pick a new perfume or scented lotion so that I'll always have a trigger to remind me of that particular vacation.:)

Me, too!!!!!!!! Nothing like a scent to bring you back...

I also think of laying in the room in your bed and the low humming noise of the boat and gentle rocking motion. I can't believe we have to wait nine more months before we go again!!!

Archived