costa concordia TV special

NoWhiners

Slightly OT. A HAL officer informed us the ship will be sailing within a year. Of course, it will be bearing a new name.

It will be interesting to see if his information is correct.

Wow that would be amazing, I can't imagine they could possibly have her ready to sail again in that time.

It took three months to replace the generator and wiring on the still sea-worthy Splendor (very similar to the Concordia). The amount of damage to the Concordia in comparison is astronomical.

Most estimates say up to 10 months just to get her off the rocks.

Wow that would be amazing, I can't imagine they could possibly have her ready to sail again in that time.

It took three months to replace the generator and wiring on the still sea-worthy Splendor (very similar to the Concordia). The amount of damage to the Concordia in comparison is astronomical.

Most estimates say up to 10 months just to get her off the rocks.

Doesn't this bring bad luck? There must be a maritime tradition about this?? Anyone know?

ML

A wee bit off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could answer my question? On the Discovery program on the Costa Concordia, several times I noticed the flag painted on either the port or starboard bow superstructure was fuzzed out. Here is the flag I am referring to in the picture down below, denoted by the arrow. Any suggestions/answers?

20rk5f9.jpg

A wee bit off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could answer my question? On the Discovery program on the Costa Concordia, several times I noticed the flag painted on either the port or starboard bow superstructure was fuzzed out. Here is the flag I am referring to in the picture down below, denoted by the arrow. Any suggestions/answers?

20rk5f9.jpg

Is the flag fuzzed out in your pix? And are you asking what the flag represents? I didn't notice this when i watched but I admit I was scanning the faces of people on deck trying to get a feel for how worried they were. I don't know the answer about the flag; hopefully someone does,

ML

Slightly OT. A HAL officer informed us the ship will be sailing within a year. Of course, it will be bearing a new name.

It will be interesting to see if his information is correct.

I seriously hope they scrap it, or recycle in parts. It may sound a little weird, but here's my issue with it being salvaged.

I know people have "passed" on cruise ships before, but that's different than the ship becoming a tomb. From my perspective, that's what it became with the deceased passengers losing their lives inside it.

I wouldn't want to sail on her.

Is the flag fuzzed out in your pix? And are you asking what the flag represents? I didn't notice this when i watched but I admit I was scanning the faces of people on deck trying to get a feel for how worried they were. I don't know the answer about the flag; hopefully someone does,

ML

It took me a while but I found it :D

It's the flag of the European Union! All Costa ships have it painted on their hull.

I'm very proud of myself :rolleyes:

Last I heard they weren't even sure they could remove it without breaking it into sections. They are getting bids right now from salvage companies. I saw a TV interview with one guy from a family owned 3-generation boat salvage business that said he's thinking about whether it's cost effective to bid on the job. He said no ship that large has ever been salvaged from the ocean ?? Don't know if that's true or not. But I don't think it will ever be a ship again, cruise or other.

Anyone see the couple on Dr. Phil that described their experience on board? Their story was horrifying. Sounded like trying to get off the Titanic. You'd think we would have learned something from the Titanic since it sunk due to ego. But no, here it is again in 2012. Captain's ego made a huge judgement error costing the ship and people's lives. So very sad.

ML

The flag is not blurred out in that picture, just not real great resolution. I know it is the flag of the European Union, just in the recent Discovery program all the archival shots they had of the Concordia the image of the flag was deliberately blurred. Just thought it curious and wondered.

I have gone and looked at some of the other Costa ships and noticed on the couple of ships I looked at. I first saw the flag on a ship (don't know which one... could have been a Costa line) when we did the Med a couple of years ago.

I seriously hope they scrap it, or recycle in parts. It may sound a little weird, but here's my issue with it being salvaged.

I know people have "passed" on cruise ships before, but that's different than the ship becoming a tomb. From my perspective, that's what it became with the deceased passengers losing their lives inside it.

I wouldn't want to sail on her.

I too, would prefer to see it scrapped. Apparently, that is not the plan Carnival Corp. has in mind.

It took me a while but I found it :D

It's the flag of the European Union! All Costa ships have it painted on their hull.

I'm very proud of myself :rolleyes:

ah ha--another mystery solved. When I looked at it, it seemed familiar but I didn't recognize it.

We are all very proud of you--give yourself an extra ships tile (your choice) for your effort!:D

ML

The flag is not blurred out in that picture, just not real great resolution. I know it is the flag of the European Union, just in the recent Discovery program all the archival shots they had of the Concordia the image of the flag was deliberately blurred. Just thought it curious and wondered.

I have gone and looked at some of the other Costa ships and noticed on the couple of ships I looked at. I first saw the flag on a ship (don't know which one... could have been a Costa line) when we did the Med a couple of years ago.

ah ha--another mystery solved. When I looked at it, it seemed familiar but I didn't recognize it.

We are all very proud of you--give yourself an extra ships tile (your choice) for your effort!:D

ML

From Wikipedia:

The name Concordia ("concord" in English) was intended to express the wish for "continuing harmony, unity, and peace between European nations."

Archived