My 2-3 Days in Seattle Plans....your ideas? Input?

sharecruises

Hi....most of us are from Florida and very excited to go to Alaska

and visit Seattle

Please check out my plans and feel free to add suggesions thanks

(also posted on Alaska board)

I have been "Freebiequeen" for about 14 years so I do pretty well at

getting bargains. I am also (blush) pretty dilligent about researching stuff online and am very used to booking independent excursions and (trying)

to satisfy a majority of those I travel with.

so far about 18-20 in group, but not everyone is doing anything, but

some of us are doing "all" of this

Got rooms at Quality Inn and Suites on John St...not fancy I don't think

but pretty good reviews, seems close to Space Needle, can walk or ?

elsewhere. Free Breakfast. Shuttle from airport - $10 each. Shuttle to pier for Spirit $6 each.

some are going up for 3 nights, some for 2

>> have 2 for 1 on Queen of Seattle Paddleboat which looks fun, we will go by the "houseboat from Sleepless in Seattle" ...I think a free trolley ride is included so that will give us a nice look at Seattle

* Tenative : we are thinking about lunch at the Sky City restaurant at Space Neede.....lunch is min $25 and includes the observation deck etc, plus you get to see the view as the restaurant slowly turns....vs paying $18 just to go up to the deck. I think we can have a "light" lunch, keep it around $25-30...and if hungry later munch at Pike Place <grin>

>> Pike Place Market...want to see the pig, the first Starbucks...and check it all out. Not going to pay for a tour...figure I can "do it myself"

Some places that I see people rave about : Pike Place Chowder, Beechams Cheese, Pierosky Pierosky, Chukar Cherries....and oh the flowers

(however, lots of flowers here in Florida LOL)

* Tenative : Sculpture Garden....."Ye Olde Curoisity Shoppe"....

Gum Wall ?, also shop for "must have" keep warm clothing that is not that available or cheap in south florida.

>> have 2 for 1 at The Fisherman's Restaurant on the waterfront, really nice "feast" ...mixed reviews but hey when I am a tourist I like tourist stuff LOL. This is planned for Monday May 21, night before and most of the group is getting together here .

We will also pick up our bottle of wine each to take on the ship (Carnival Spirit).....will try to get Washington State wines to share on the ship

I am guessing that warm clothes/rain gear is available year round in Seattle and probably cheaper than it would be here in Florida (where we have swimsuits, beach chairs, sun hats and glasses, suntan lotion available year round LOL).

please give your ideas for shopping....wine.....stuff to see/do eat at Pike Place Market thanks

I am also looking for a good Eithopian Restaurant...I have not had that wonderful food in many years, but wish to try it again. I see Seattle has Eithopian restaurants ...any suggestions?? thanks

and so onto the Carnival Spirit....Tues May 22

I stayed at this hotel twice. Both times I was assigned an older small room, but was swi

tched to a very nice room. Super breakfast(free) About threeblocks from Space Needle. About two blocks from a Walgreens store.I believe you need reservations to eat at the top of the Space Needle. Last time we were in Seattle (Sept. 2011) took a tour of the Boeing plant. Very interesting if you are into planes. Hotel is in walking distance of waterfront shops restaurants etc. Walk is all downhill, I walked back to hotel one time, after that I took a bus. Hotel has shuttle to cruise terminal also has shuttle to airport. I would stay again at this hotel

I checked out the Quality last yr for someone. It's a 70's looking building, low rise, and they were finishing updates when I was there. A small pool and nice b'fast buffet. It's on Hwy 99 so ask for rooms in the back if traffic noise bothers you. It's a couple of blocks walk to the Seattle Center. Spend time at the Science Center or EMP while you're in the neighborhood. From the Center you can take the monorail to the downtown core in a matter of minutes then a few blocks walk to Pike Place Market.

The end of May is very iffy for weather; might be 65 and sunny or the usual 50 and rainy. So be sure to have back up plans for any outdoor activities. I've never seen the paddle wheel; looks like a fun excursion and it's something to do rain or shine. Another rain or shine activity, and cheap is to ride the ferry to Bremerton $7 RT; just stay on and ride it back. Lovely views of the skyline. There are a few resident bald eagles on W Seattle so watch for them in all the tall trees along the shore. Or the water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle if you get a sunny day; then walk around and find a fish and chip restaurant.

Haven't been to the Fisherman's; I'm not a seafood fan. I only like halibut or cod so I go to Anthony's or Ivar's take out bar, both on the waterfront. I'm sure Fishermans will be fun.

Since you're going on an Alaska cruise, the Goldrush Museum (free) would be a good start to the trip. At this point the buses are still free in the downtown area. Have a great trip !

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/m_seattle-rfa.html

You've done a pretty impressive job on your itinerary already!

You can definitely keep lunch at the Sky City (and the visit to the observation deck) a bargain if you make the effort--and there is plenty to graze on at Pike Place Market! Among my favorite nibbles are the curried pork buns at Mee Sum Pastry (right on the street, across from the main arcade) and pastries from Le Panier (a few doors up from the original Starbucks).

Say hi to Sylvester at Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe.

Pike and Western Wine Shop is a great place to go for Washington wines. They know their stuff and will advise you well. They do free tastings on Friday afternoons, 3 - 6 pm. They're down at the north end of the Market, on Pike Place at Virginia. Another place where you can taste Washington wines is the Tasting Room, a cooperative storefront for several smaller Washington wineries. They're in the Market, on Post Alley between Stewart and Virginia.

Here's a thread from the Seattle board on Chowhound.com where they discuss local Ethiopian restaurants http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/684667

Hope this helps!

haven't done the paddlewheel boat but you should know its walkable but a long walk from your hotel. Since you have to go almost as far to get the streetcar its a push.

You might really like the Argosy cruises. Some are from Lk Union and others from waterfront. Also check out\

goldstar.com

as they often have touristy things at bargain prices.

Thanks for the info....we will be there 3 nights now :)

Glad to hear the hotel is decent, hopefully the shuttle service will work out for us as that will make things much easier

I think the Space Needle restaurant for lunch is a good idea

the wine info is good...I want to bring on "Washington" wine

and I am still thinking about the Paddlewheel....I don't want to spend on cabs etc

Thanks for that Goldstar info...the Salmon bake cruise looks very interesting "Tillicum"

I am guessing that warm clothes/rain gear is available year round in Seattle and probably cheaper than it would be here in Florida (where we have swimsuits, beach chairs, sun hats and glasses, suntan lotion available year round LOL).

It depends on how picky you are about what you want to buy, & how much time you want to spend. Umbrellas will always be available in drug stores, & things to layer with in the the department stores. If you want to make a trip to REI they should have rain gear & coats year round, I would think. I don't shop there so don't know for sure.

The department stores are hit or miss for real rain gear in spring - by that time the summer items are out for sale. If you are able to find coats it will be stuff left over from the last winter - the newer warm winter things will show up late summer. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense season wise, but it's how they stock the inventory. I order online, usually Sierra Trading Post & try to find a bargain.

Some thoughts on this:

-I haven't heard of the Queen of Seattle before so I can't say much about it, but an alternative that would include both a land and water tour would be the Ride the Ducks amphibious tour, which originates just below the Space Needle, near your hotel. About $20 a person.

-If you're looking for the views, but don't want to blow $25 on lunch at the Space Needle, there's an observation deck on the 73rd floor of the Columbia Tower (the tallest building in Seattle) which is actually quite a bit higher than the top of the Space Needle, and only costs $5 a person.

-If you do visit Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, I wouldn't plan on spending a ton of time there. It's not really all that big, and most of it's just a glorified gift shop. I don't think it merits more than a half hour or so.

Oh, and if you're interested in Washington wines and have access to transportation, you might like a trip out to Woodinville (about 20 miles or so away from downtown Seattle), where a bunch of wineries make their home.

Thanks for the ideas, I am def looking for the cheapo stuff since I may just "leave" it on the ship after the cruise, I won't wear it in Florida, and the cost of luggage on the plane is not worth toting some things back

I really like the idea of getting stuff on sale from Walmart or ? and having it shipped to my local Walmart for me to pick up ...great idea

I also figure I can find an umbrella in Seattle <grin>

Our hotel has laundry room and I get free laundry deal on Carnival (Platinum) so that should help.

~~~~~~~~~

Duck tour lists online at $28 plus tax but looks like fun

Any coupons or deals for this??

It may be "easier" for us to get to than the Paddlewheel

which also looks nice

Please keep the ideas coming, I appreciate

A sure way to stand out as a tourist in both Seattle and SE Alaska is to have an Umbrella!! We don't use them!!!

Very true! It drizzles a lot here, but it doesn't rain HARD all that often. Unless you're out in it for a long stretch, you won't get that wet--and even then, a lot of locals prefer waterproof jackets with hoods.

Umbrellas are brutal in crowds ! plus it ties up one hand.

I use an umbrella at work but never at home; always a coat with a hood. For walking around in Alaska we wore a plastic hooded poncho over a fleece pullover; kept us warm and dry, plus the poncho protected my daypack which had the camera and binoculars. The only downside to the poncho was on a windy day. The ponchos were $7 TOTES that we bought at Bartells drugstore.

Hmm....maybe I will have to rethink the umbrella. Still might try to get a cheap poncho or raingear in Seattle to keep down luggage weight

~~~~

Thanks for the ideas...I do know that my "group" will be mostly gals on the Seattle part of our trip and we will not be interested in

Boeing...Music Experience....Sports....oh and no grunge music LOL

We will want >>>> Pike Place market

some sort of "boat tour"

(which one?? Duck...Paddlewheel...Tillicum Village....1 hr Argosy Harbour Cruise and Aquarium package)

Space Needle

In addition to this I sort of need to figure out the "logistics">> unlike most who travel with a spouse/relative or friend I am in a "group"...and I have to try to please them and be "fair" to them...and work out the kinks

Yes they can and may go off on their own but most want to be with others.

Some of us are coming in on Saturday afternoon from Florida

I think that would be the best night to just have a nice dinner

*I want Eithiopian...can't get it here and have not had it for over 25 years yet still remember how good it was LOL. I am "talking it up" to my friends

so hopefully we can all share a nice communal dinner with tibs and injera LOL

some are coming in Sunday (Florida, Virginia, Colorado, etc)

some are coming in Monday ...will only be there for one group dinner

for the "group" dinner I am thinking Fisherman's...I have 2 for 1 deal for everyone for that

My other option would be if we all went on the Tillicum Village Salmon Bake BUT it may be hard to get reservations for all of them, getting people in a group to bust a move and "commit" and buy tickets is daunting

it is a double edged sword....they don't want to commit and buy tickets or reserve BUT when in a group you can't just walk in and expect to all be seated at most restaurants.

I may try to get some of them to commit to reservations at Space Needle for Monday for lunch

Fishermans for dinner on Monday with the whole group(except for a few flying /driving in morning of cruise bless them LOL)

Fortunately I know and am friends with most everyone in the group, we are pretty compatable, while not "athletic" (for most part) we all like to walk. We live in a "tourist" area and mostly we are fine with "touristy" things. I have planned outings to the Everglades, Intercoastal boat rides, Butterfly world etc and we all enjoy them ...touristy is fine with me

Please keep your great suggestions coming :) Just keep in mind that I can't be as spontaneous as most here :o

Buy yourself a gortex or similiar waterproof jacket with a hood at any sporting goods or camping store. You can then wear it over a fleece jacket or alone. You will wear it on the shipdeck also when watching for wildlife, it really helps cut down the wind.

You are right, you don't need a tour of the marketplace. They give out free maps.

We loved Tillicum Village. They probably give you a group rate. I think it is a wise way for a large group to eat together because everyone pays their own way, not worrying about splitting a check.

Same with the duck tour. I would check out if you can get a group rate, because not only does it go in the water, but drives you all around Seattle explaining the different sights. If there are no games at Safeco Field, they even take you there.

Have you considered the Underground Tour? Very interesting and fun. Again you should make reservations and find out about group rates.

Here's a deal for your Ethiopian food: Groupon Seattle is doing a 50% off deal on a place called Habesha. It's in Belltown, 10-12 blocks from your hotel. I do Groupons all the time--not a scam, they're good deals.

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu6194

Looks great...I think this will be really good for our first night in town when we have less people :) I bought the deal for 4, if others wish to come they can order off menu I guess <grin>

Thanks a bunch

I love Groupons...got a whale watch in Juneau for $60...have already been in touch with the owner of the boat who is soooo nice :)

Thanks thanks thanks! I am soooo hungry for Eithiopian food, we no longer have any Eithiopian restaurants here

Hi neighbor!

Last May we bought the City Pass and visited the Space Needle twice, EMP, took the Argosy tour, aquarium & the zoo.....well worth the $69.

I bought our jackets online at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops.....everything local was really expensive. We didn't need the jackets in Seattle and used hoodies. It drizzled twice for 15 minutes each time....we had great weather in Seattle and on the cruise....we were really, really lucky....it was great.

A definite stop should be Beechers for a bowl of macaroni and cheese. The best I've ever tasted. I had read about it on these boards. Asked DH & DS if they wanted a bowl...both said no. So. as I'm eating my bowl, they both wanted to taste....they took my bowl and I had to buy a second ones for me!! :D If shipping wasn't so high, I'd order some now!

Archived