A walk outside the port, NEVER Again!

Lorij91

I would love to know where & how & how much you booked the water taxi........and what did you do while there? How long was the trip?

I cannot give directions because I do not remember them but you can probably Google the directions and time tables for the water taxis, though the time tables were not really followed when we were there. The taxi showed up when it showed up! Even with directions, I was confused and that is when some guy offered to walk us to it.

While there, we rented a golf cart and rode around the island. Nothing special. We had lunch, again nothing special. We did spend some time at the split and our kids swam there. We had a few hours on the island.

I don't know, I didn't find the area to all that bad. The wife and I did an early morning snorkel excursion that departed and returned directly to the ship. While the wife decided to lounge around the ship I took a tender into port and headed left out of the gate. Yes, there were a lot of vendors but a polite "no thank you" was all it took to ward them off. I really enjoyed looking at all the various wares for sale and chatting with the locals.

The one thing I did not like was the heat, but this was in July and it was HOT, but that was our fault for having to book a cruise in the summer that year. I ended my little excursion at a local watering hole (bar) where I downed a couple of cold Belikin beers. I eventually wandered back into the port area toting my small sack of unconventional souvenirs: an empty Belikin beer bottle for my collection, a Belikin beer glass for a friend in Indiana, and an old license plate from Belize for my garage.

I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing in Belize on our cruise coming up in October, but I plan to look at those links that wadethegringo posted for some tips if I venture out into the city again.

If you feel uncomfortable in that kind of environment then by all means consider booking an excursion, but it would be a shame for someone to stay on the ship and not experience any of the beauty that Belize has to offer.

Happy Cruising,

John

I don't know, I didn't find the area to all that bad. The wife and I did an early morning snorkel excursion that departed and returned directly to the ship. While the wife decided to lounge around the ship I took a tender into port and headed left out of the gate. Yes, there were a lot of vendors but a polite "no thank you" was all it took to ward them off. I really enjoyed looking at all the various wares for sale and chatting with the locals.

The one thing I did not like was the heat, but this was in July and it was HOT, but that was our fault for having to book a cruise in the summer that year. I ended my little excursion at a local watering hole (bar) where I downed a couple of cold Belikin beers. I eventually wandered back into the port area toting my small sack of unconventional souvenirs: an empty Belikin beer bottle for my collection, a Belikin beer glass for a friend in Indiana, and an old license plate from Belize for my garage.

I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing in Belize on our cruise coming up in October, but I plan to look at those links that wadethegringo posted for some tips if I venture out into the city again.

If you feel uncomfortable in that kind of environment then by all means consider booking an excursion, but it would be a shame for someone to stay on the ship and not experience any of the beauty that Belize has to offer.

Happy Cruising,

John

Always here with any questions....I will be on here more often as we have a BIG Cruise booked.

This past January my wife, 7 year old daughter and I visited Belize on the Carnival Legend. After visiting the brewery we wandered a bit around Ladyville, then we wandered Belize City, visted schools, admired the awesome architecture of the olkder buildings, shopped deep into the center of town, ate local foods like gibnut etc. We chatted with many many locals, all were VERY VERY friendly. Belize became one of our favorite ports we have visited.

Is it a bit "run-down" looking....sure, but what do you expect? We cruise to see new places not lie on a beach or go to a Carlos & Charlies/Margaritaville/Senor Frogs cookie-cutter place. We never felt concerned or unsafe.

Belize City, Ensenada and Roatan have become our favorite stops. On the other hand, other than the unpopulated wild side of the island, Cozumel is our least favorite port we have visited.

• 3 weeks later...

While I was studying up on our next cruise, I found out a bit of information regarding Belize City and the country itself, and how the city ostracized itself from the rest of the country vof Belize. Ready for some history? Belize City was the Capitol for years, but then a major MAJOR hurricane hit, and the government decided to move away from the coast line, and told the residents that they needed to move away too so that they can be taken care of and protected, and basically they said....Nuts, therefore the government didn't like that devil may care attitude, and doesn't do much to clean up Belize City. Ok lesson over.

Have been to Belize two times and the only thing I like there is The Wet Lizard and a couple of cold Belekin beers.

I'm anxiously awaiting going back to the Wet Lizard again, and those amazing Belikan beers. Not sure what else I'll be doing in Belize, but definitely do have a plan to visit and sit a spell there!

Leaning towards snorkeling, not sure yet though. Anyone have any specifics on a snorkeling excursion that they could recommend or steer me away from at Belize?

Thanks!

While I was studying up on our next cruise, I found out a bit of information regarding Belize City and the country itself, and how the city ostracized itself from the rest of the country vof Belize. Ready for some history? Belize City was the Capitol for years, but then a major MAJOR hurricane hit, and the government decided to move away from the coast line, and told the residents that they needed to move away too so that they can be taken care of and protected, and basically they said....Nuts, therefore the government didn't like that devil may care attitude, and doesn't do much to clean up Belize City. Ok lesson over.

Marshhawk, as a bit of a history buff myself, I really appreciate this information on Belize City. We didn't go out of the port last year, but may attempt to venture out past the gate in the afternoon this time. I really want to shop at the flea market and interact with the locals!

• 5 weeks later...

we were in Belize last November, we took the Carnival excursion to Xunantunich mayan ruins, 2 hours from the port over by the Guatemala border. It was very interesting and an eye opener as we drove through Belize City to get across country, we saw military with machine guns and border patrols on the streets leading into and out of Belize City. Once outside the city, the country is beautiful and noticed ALOT of Mennonites (Amish) living in the towns we passed. We took a crank ferry "bridge" over to the ruins, spoke to and purchased wares from people selling their goods along the road and ate a delicious meal at an open air restaurant on the drive back.

It's too bad people get an impression of Belize from the port City. If you can get out past the city, you will really enjoy Belize. On the drive back, we road along the waterfront (which is to the right when you leave port). According to our guide, that is the wealthiest part of the country, I think he said the most expensive home costs $250k.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We visited Belize in April 2010 and did the excursion that went up River Wallace, then to the ruins, and then a bus ride back to the ship. We enjoyed the river and the ruins, but unfortunately the three things that stand out most clearly in MY mind about Belize... are the staggering amounts of garbage along the rural roads - there were PILES of it, especially at any stop signs & intersections; the police or militia or whatever they are riding in the back of pick-up trucks armed to the teeth; and the hordes of vendors/locals swarming us as we entered back into the port area, literally trying to climb the sides of the bus to sell/shove stuff into the windows. I found it both disturbing and incredibly sad.

I would probably go back to Belize if the opportunity presented itself, but it's certainly not on my bucket list. And it's definitely not a port I would ever consider exploring on my own.

I have read on several posts about a Brewery tour-is that close to the port?

Thanks

The Wet Lizard (quite a fun place to go) offers a variety of land and water tours including one called "Belikin Brewery Blast".

You can see pictures of the bar and read about the tours offered at their website.

This should take you directly there (unless I mess it up :rolleyes: )

http://www.thewetlizard.com

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I have done two walking tours of Belize and had a wonderful time. The people are kind and appreciative of tourists. Please give it a try and form your own opinion. We never felt unsafe and enjoyed the richness of the area that we would have missed on a ship tour.

Would really love to hear of someone that has gone latey if anyone did private tours or just anything to do around port. This is going to be a port for us in Jan...and don't know what to do. I have 3 adult children with my husband and I.

thanks

Recent report:

Our family hired a wonderful woman from Belize, Odette, to be live in care for my mother in law. She spent three years with her, four days a week, caring for her and being a friend. She often travels back home to Belize for a visit.

This last week her brother in law was coming out of the gym in Belize and was attacked by three men whose intention was to kidnap him. When he resisted, they shot him four times before fleeing. He died on the way to the hospital. Odette called my sister in law this week to say she would not be coming to visit at their vacation home in San Francisco because she was flying home for the funeral.

We will also be in Belize this January. This will be a restful day on the ship, at the pool and spa, for our family.

Recent report:

Our family hired a wonderful woman from Belize' date=' Odette, to be live in care for my mother in law. She spent three years with her, four days a week, caring for her and being a friend. She often travels back home to Belize for a visit. [/font']

This last week her brother in law was coming out of the gym in Belize and was attacked by three men whose intention was to kidnap him. When he resisted, they shot him four times before fleeing. He died on the way to the hospital. Odette called my sister in law this week to say she would not be coming to visit at their vacation home in San Francisco because she was flying home for the funeral.

We will also be in Belize this January. This will be a restful day on the ship, at the pool and spa, for our family.

Thank you for sharing...

Really makes me thnk about just stay on the ship now. Unless I do something with the ship only.

Recent report:

Our family hired a wonderful woman from Belize' date=' Odette, to be live in care for my mother in law. She spent three years with her, four days a week, caring for her and being a friend. She often travels back home to Belize for a visit.

We will also be in Belize this January. This will be a restful day on the ship, at the pool and spa, for our family. [/size']

What a terrible thing to happen...however, that stuff happens here in Georgia all the time.

I think no matter WHERE you are, you need to be careful of your surroundings, take caution and listen to your instinct.

My husband and I have done two walking tours of Belize and had a wonderful time. The people are kind and appreciative of tourists. Please give it a try and form your own opinion. We never felt unsafe and enjoyed the richness of the area that we would have missed on a ship tour.

Did you do your walking tours with the ship or private? When did you go there? I am glad to hear this. I know it seems no matter where you go can have crime and all. But there is some that are more prone to have trouble. So just tryinig to do my research before we go....thanks everyone

Archived