Canaries March 2012

robinbird62

I too am on this cruise, study the ports of call and search for Canaries you get lots of info from them!

Both Gran Canaria and Tenerife do HOHO buses

http://www.getyourguide.com/en/tours/spain-tenerife/hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour-santa-cruz-de-tenerife/?id=14721

http://www.getyourguide.com/en/tours/spain-las-palmas/las-palmas-hop-on-hop-off-tour-24h-or-48h/?id=4253

heres are links but Google HOHO Tenerife or Gran Canaria and you should find many other links.

Maderia and Lisbon do one too.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596 this is a link to the Spain Ports of Call-just go to the search box (top right) type in what your looking for.

do you recommend booking these in advance as when the ship comes in i would thought that you would have a job to get one

reading the small print on the web, having a ticket doesnt guarantee a seat, my suggestion would be pay as you go.

We have used a lot of these globally and a discount can often be negotiated too on the day. Also if you change you mind on the day etc... you are not losing money

We did this cruise in January, dont bother with the hop on hop off bus in Gran Canaria, very limited stops and not worth it in my opinion.

Others may think differently of course.

We were going to do it in Tenerife but met up with some fellow passengers and haggled a taxi driver to take us on a tour of the island, 80 euros for the 4 of us, all day. Went allover the place, absolutely superb :)

IMHO the cities of Las Palmas and Santa Cruz are not the most interesting or beautiful in Spain. However, both islands have lovely scenery well worth seeing. Additionally, Tenerife has the mountain of Teide, the highest in Spain.

The HOHO buses will take you around the towns, but you won't see much more.

Personally, I would hire a car from either CICAR or Autos Faycan (Hertz) they have offices in the ports and the prices are very reasonable. If you don't want to drive you could negotiate a taxi tour as there are always plenty of taxis available.

Tenerife is on an amazing island of which the town of Santa Cruz de Tenerife is not the highlight. The beauty of this island lies outside the cities. To enjoy this island you either need to rent a car (we agree with the recommendation of using CICAR) or get a decent tour (we think "tour" is a 4 letter word). We still remember our last visit and driving in Teide National Park above the clouds (over 10,000 feet) when we thought we were on the top of the world (we could see clouds, land and sea below). On that drive we returned via a different route (via Orotava) and saw all kinds of natural beauty.

Hank

Archived