Just Booked Dawn from San Francisco, need advice

yancycruiser

We've just booked the Princess Dawn for a 10-day Mexican cruise out of San Francisco on November 10. I've been told that the Port is about six miles from the airport. Princess wants $54 round trip transfer fee per person. Have any of you taken taxis or any other forms of transportation and what is the cost?

Also, we won't be arriving in San Francisco until about 12:30 on the day of the cruise, which is the latest we have arrived. Any problems anyone can see to getting to ship on time?

Any other interesting information on Dawn or about the Mexican Cruise in general would be appreciated.

Thanks,

From the airport to downtown area in San Francisco you can take a limo for approx $70 plus tip. It should take 35-45 minutes. No baseball at that time of year, so no worries about avoiding the ball park.

All things being equal, you should be at the dock in plenty of time. What time do you sail?

Hi! We're also on this cruise but we're flying in the day before and staying at the Argonaut hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. We were planning on taking a cab from the airport. Maybe we can get a roll call started for this cruise. Looking forward to chatting with you.:)

Hello FANC6,

You are the first I've met going on this cruise. I see you are from Ontario. We are meeting six from Edmonton for this cruise. I may fly in late the night before. How did you find the Argonaut and who did you book it through. Look forward to chatting with you until we set sail.

Yes you will sail under the Golden Gate bridge. We did it in 2001 on the Veendam heading for the Panama Canal. It is really quite a sight and definitely one that you want to have your camera for.

Have a great next cruise.

Yes, the ship sails under the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge - it is the only way to the sea!

Try to be on deck, port side, for sailaway. You'll pass Fisherman's Wharf, Fort Mason, Crissy Field, Marina Green, Presidio of San Francisco, and tucked under the GG Bridge, Fort Point.

If you are lucky, the Captain will give a mighty blast of the horn (ship's whistle) when going under the Golden Gate, a salute to the pedestrians on the bridge waving "bon voyage".

My husband and I are taking this cruise (our first) in May, 2006 so I'll be excited to read your post-cruise comments. In answer to your question, have you checked with your hotel to see if they have a shuttle? If not, take a taxi - door to door/dock service, much more flexible, and always less expensive. Save your money for the cruise!

yancycruiser, I found the Argonaut through tripadvisor.com and booked through the hotel website. It seems to have good reviews and is conveniently located.

I've started a roll call for our cruise over at the Princess roll call board. Maybe if we keep that going we'll find some more CC'ers to join us.:)

I recommend the Wharf Inn in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

For lodging, try SideStep.com. Great website for comparing flights and hotels. You use the "menu" on the left to include/exclude based on things like "complimentary breakfast", fitness center, $$, distance, etc.

Haven't taken the cruise under discussion...

FANC6,

After I booked our cruise several days ago, I looked through about 20 pages of roll calls and did not see ours. However, I was hestitant about adding it since I might have missed it. Thanks for starting it. I'll add to it shortly.

Thanks for the website on lodging in the SF area.

Also thanks nlvc12 for the website you use.

Archived