Ruins and Paradise Beach

jkmmah

I thought I had our day all planned out for Chankanaab but the family is asking about doing some ruins along with a beach now. We will be in Cozumel this Saturday so I need to figure out our plans quickly!

We will be in port from 8-5. Will we have enough time to take a taxi to the San Gervasio ruins and then to Paradise Beach? We'd like to have an hour or two at the ruins and at least 3-4 hours at the beach.

How much travel time do we need to allow for each leg of the trip? And will taxis be plentiful at the ruins so we can grab one to take us to the beach or will our first taxi driver wait for us to finish at the ruins to take us to the beach?

Thank you for all your help!

The San Gervasio site is not much to see. Mostly crumbling walls and some foundations and floors. I would go to Chankanaab. If your cruise also includes either Costa Maya or Belize City, there are tours to very impressive ruins only about an hour's bus ride from these ports.

There's also a small replica Maya village just down from Paradise Beach toward the southern tip of the island called El Cedral. Again, not really much here.

I suggest you head out the cruise port to Discover Mexico, which is across th ehighway from Chank. You can get a combo ticket to DM and Chank and they'll arrange for a shuttle/taxi to take you over to Chank once you're through walking around DM. DM has many exhibits on Mexico in general and small scale replicas of many historical sites through out Mexico. it's not up to US quality of most large cities Natural Museums of History, but it's interesting and you'll learn some things. Take you 45-90 minutes, depending on how long you linger at various points.

Then do Chank and snorkel or dolphin swim or what ever you originally wanted ot do.

• 3 weeks later...
How much is it? is it really up to negotiation?

is it walkable from Chaunknab?

Thnx

Thanks for asking this question, I was also considering checking out some ruins before hitting PB or checking out Discover Mexico as an alternative to the ruins.

I found a combo Chank/Discover Mexico price of $34.

http://www.cometocozumel.com/activities/discover_mexico.asp

And a price of $20 for Discover Mexico alone.

http://www.cancunvista.com/cozumel_tours_shore_excursions/discovery_mexico_park.htm

These prices may be associated with tours. I'm not sure.

Anyway here is a link to a $5 off coupon.

http://www.discovermexico.org/eng/reserve.asp?Adults=0&Kids=2

Archived