Travel Guard

rabbit72

TG is a reputable company, and the Gold plan is their "standard" plan for cruises. Whether or not it will meet your needs is something only you can answer.

I will say that it's met my needs so far, and I'm up to four claims under Gold plans, and no problems at any time.

• 5 months later...

so - I've looked into Travel Guard insurance. We are going on a cruise in February and we live in Maine. My biggest concern is flight delays and/or cancellations. I talked to the folks at Travel Guard - they gave me a quote for insurance that should help with this type of thing and then told me I should consider increasing the medical coverage. So - their quote was $288 for both my husband and I. We aren't sick - but we are 59 and 60 so who knows....

Would you go for the extra medical - for the just in case reason? We have good medical insurance.

Just looking for some thoughts and/or suggestions. Thank you.

Would you go for the extra medical - for the just in case reason? We have good medical insurance.

Does it cover you outside the US as will be the case with any medical services received on the ship or in a foreign port of call? If it does, I wouldn't spend money on upgraded medical.

so - I've looked into Travel Guard insurance. We are going on a cruise in February and we live in Maine. My biggest concern is flight delays and/or cancellations. .

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Flight delays and/or cancellations are a sticky wicket for cruises. Not a problem for hotel/resort stays. On a cruise, your hotel is a ship which moves around. A resort, your hotel will always be at the same location should you miss a flight.

With a cruise and insurance, you must still make every reasonable attempt to catch up to your ship for your insurance to cover your lost expenses. This might include you paying out of pocket for last minute one way airfare to Jamaica (or where ever). Then, you can file a claim for the plane tickets plus lost number of cruise days.

What you cannot do (in most cases) is throw up your hands, say screw it, and file a claim for the loss of the cruise, the airfare, and any other associated lost monies just because your flight was delayed or cancelled.

Your best bet is to immediately open up a discussion with your insurance provider (write down names,date, and time) and discuss options if a situation arises. They won't arrange for or pay for additional travel expenses, but they can advise what steps need to be taken when a situation arises.

What you cannot do (in most cases) is throw up your hands, say screw it, and file a claim for the loss of the cruise, the airfare, and any other associated lost monies just because your flight was delayed or cancelled.

That's exactly why those insurers that offer a "Cancel For Any Reason" benefit exclude the 48 hour window prior to departure.

so - I've looked into Travel Guard insurance. We are going on a cruise in February and we live in Maine. My biggest concern is flight delays and/or cancellations.

The best "insurance" against flight delays or cancellations is to fly in to the departure port at least a day ahead of time. The cruisecritic boards or your roll call are a wonderful resource to find a cheap "crash pad" to stay the night before departure.

Even if your travel insurance would cover catching up to the ship, that's a lot of stress, not to mention the missed day of vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to buy extra Medical and Evacuation insurance ..is it too late?

Paid for cruise 30 days ago so guess may be out of luck with preexisting,however did buy insurance offered by Celebrity at time of booking...not sure what it covers. or benefit limits....anybody use their insurance ?

Thanks for help:):)

Want to buy extra Medical and Evacuation insurance ..is it too late?

No

Paid for cruise 30 days ago so guess may be out of luck with preexisting,however did buy insurance offered by Celebrity at time of booking...not sure what it covers. or benefit limits....anybody use their insurance ?

Suggest you read through the policy and see what it covers. It should be clearly stated there.

Archived