One Thing I REALLY Miss

ranchingal

Not to put a damper on this forum because I have enjoyed reading all the posts and "remembering when." But, let's look at the flip side and instead of thinking about all the things we veteran cruisers miss, let's think about the things that we are getting now that we didn't get when we first started cruising starting with:

1) More affordable cruise fares meaning more cruises. I am getting balcony cabins for what I used to pay for an inside.

Other things:

2) Food availability around the clock vs. fixed seatings for all three meals with a few snacks in between. If you had early seating, breakfast was at 7:00 or 7:30 (can't remember which) and if you weren't there within 15 minutes of that time, the doors shut and you had to make do with pastries on the deck. Same for other meals and, if you were late for dinner, there was only room service which was pretty pitiful in comparison to what is available today until the midnight buffet. Add to that, the men were expected to wear a jacket and tie and the ladies a church dress to dinner every night.

3) Wider choice of itineraries because there are more ships out there. They are bigger and can hold more fuel, faster, so they have a much wider range than in the past.

4) Smoother sailing with the new technology.

5) Better production shows

6) Bells and whistles like rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, mini-golf, spas, etc.

I do agree with the OP who stated that new cruisers, which the lines desperately need to fill up the mammoth ships, don't miss what they have never had while veteran cruisers do miss things they had in the past and pine for them.

But, we can't have our cake and eat it, too. I'm getting more bang for my buck than I did back in 1982 even factoring in paying for things that used to be free/cheaper like better food and pricier drinks. If the cruise lines kept all the things they have been cutting, I probably couldn't afford to cruise very often (lol). I look at what the all inclusive ships charge and know I couldn't afford it more than once every year, if that. Plus, I would be paying for things I am just as happy to live without and may not be interested in like included excursions, free soda, wine at meals, etc.

On the plus side, I don't remember past passenger perks like we are getting now--the Diamond lounges and the coupon books giving out free or reduce priced things, special receptions and tours on the ship. So, I don't think that Royal (and other lines) have completely flushed us down the toilet in their quest to attract new passengers with cheap prices. Personally, I'd rather have free drinks every evening than chocolates on my pillow and a room steward that comes into my cabin to tidy up every time I leave.

So, let's look at the glass half full rather than half empty. It's nice to reminiscence about the good old days but, as the song says, "a fool will lose tomorrow looking back to yesterday" (lol)

Tucker in Texas

Very nice way of putting it :) I would have enjoyed the "better' food but I would NOT have liked the 3 dedicated meal times and if you are late only being able to get "snacks"

I personally am glad I came along a lot later because I enjoy the product that cruising offers today. EVEN the food!

I do WISH they still had skeet shooting though :o With todays biodegradable shotshell and skeet it would be very possible.

Tell you the truth, I don't miss anything. Loved the song of Norway, RCI's first build, but those ships don't even come close to todays ships. Most of the things that are not done anymore were just small cosmetic things. The ships now have so much more to offer, you can go on a budget or spending is no limit. We continue to love RCI ships and crew.:)

Tell you the truth, I don't miss anything. Loved the song of Norway, RCI's first build, but those ships don't even come close to todays ships. Most of the things that are not done anymore were just small cosmetic things. The ships now have so much more to offer, you can go on a budget or spending is no limit. We continue to love RCI ships and crew.:)

I think I agree. As a kid I remember being on the Sky Princess. A singer/dancer for the show was also my scuba leader and excurson leader. Crew members wore several and different hats and had many jobs.

Oh well there is one thing that I miss......The caribbean seemed slower and more remote back then. Islanders seemed to enjoy tourists and appeared humble....now locals appear to prey on cruisers or seem to dislike tourists. I guess this is the natural progression of things.

Tell you the truth, I don't miss anything.

Make that 2! I'm so impressed with RCI's new builds that to me, they outshine any little things that used to be. I, for one, happen to think cruising has improved, not declined. I'm not one to whine over a chocolate not being on a pillow, but rather one to marvel at a high dive act or people wiping out on the Flowrider.

OMG!!!! Those guys......They were Asian right?! They were fantastic... They touched every table during the cruise and asked each table to make a request!!! They could play almost everything! We requested they play "Sweet Home Alabama" They had the whole dining room rockin!

Yes! We saw them 3 times in the early 2000s. We got a CD, too. That particular group was great. :)

Yes! We saw them 3 times in the early 2000s. We got a CD, too. That particular group was great. :)

Yes!

Those guys helped make the Sov of the Seas an amazing ship. The Monarch doesnt seem to have the great vibe the Sov had.

So many complainers about cruising!!! Sure I too miss things...the waist line I had at 20!!! But I also realize that in my forties I am able to harvest the many gifts of life!!

Cruising has gotten better.........sans chocolate

Archived