International travel insurance

KINGSFAN1

Not really. I have MedJet Assist insurance in addition to my cruise insurance. If you are on Medicare, they will not pay for anything outside the US, including any medical charges on the ship, so you need a good supplemental medical insurance.

Getting ready for Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire Feb 25th,just wondering if most of you take the extra International Travel Insurance.

Thanks for any info.

what do you mean by extra? above and beyond regular travel insurance?

of course we buy travel insurance..and within 14 days of initial deposit...

if you haven't bought it yet..you still have time..it probably won't cover pre existing issues...but you can still get it up to 48 hours before sailing...

anyone who travels without travel insurance is crazy IMHO....as evidenced by many issues related to the ships and the cruislines..not just weather delays....

Getting ready for Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire Feb 25th,just wondering if most of you take the extra International Travel Insurance.

Thanks for any info.

I usually use TravelGuard and take out the standard trip insurance (cruise, flights, medical, lost luggage, and just about all included) and it includes protection for all cities listed that I am going to. I don't understand taking out separate policies for cruise and the rest of the vacation. But people do it.

I don't understand taking out separate policies for cruise and the rest of the vacation. But people do it.
Several reasons: age, automatic upgrade to Princess Platinum Insurance, cancel for any reason and the Princess Care Team. Most insurance rates are based on age so for me, rates are pretty high. The Princess insurance isn't based on age. If one of you gets sick or injured while on the cruise and their companion disembarks with them if they need to be in the hospital or are unable to fly, most travel policies will only pay for five days.

In our case, my brother-in-law got sick on the ship and was in the ICU in Ft. Lauderdale for a month. The Princess Care Team got my sister and I disembarked, set us up at a hotel at hospital rates ($100/day during the Pro Bowl and Superbowl) and followed up with daily calls to see if we needed anything. The Princess insurance covered both me and my sister's expenses up to the cost of the cruise and since it was a longer cruise, almost all of our expenses were covered.

There's really no such thing as the "best" insurance as there are as many possible circumstances as there are people. The main thing is to do your research and decide what's best for you.

As Pam states, each individual is different. We don't look for cancelation provisions if we are planning just a week or two. We would self insure if we needed to cancel. However we do want some medical transport if needed as that's where the big time expense would be.:eek:

I've found that an annual travel insurance policy works best for me. It covers me for cruises, any air travel, cars trips, motorcycle trips, etc.

Also, keep in mind that in most all instances, travel insurance for medical expenses is secondary to your other medical insurance and will take care of any deductables, co-pays, and out-of-pocket expenses.

The cost is about the same as if you take the insurance through the cruise line for a couple of cruises.

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the great replies, I already have the Princess standard insurance,but I am going to get the medJet supplement if I can.

Several reasons: age, automatic upgrade to Princess Platinum Insurance, cancel for any reason and the Princess Care Team. Most insurance rates are based on age so for me, rates are pretty high. The Princess insurance isn't based on age. If one of you gets sick or injured while on the cruise and their companion disembarks with them if they need to be in the hospital or are unable to fly, most travel policies will only pay for five days.

In our case, my brother-in-law got sick on the ship and was in the ICU in Ft. Lauderdale for a month. The Princess Care Team got my sister and I disembarked, set us up at a hotel at hospital rates ($100/day during the Pro Bowl and Superbowl) and followed up with daily calls to see if we needed anything. The Princess insurance covered both me and my sister's expenses up to the cost of the cruise and since it was a longer cruise, almost all of our expenses were covered.

There's really no such thing as the "best" insurance as there are as many possible circumstances as there are people. The main thing is to do your research and decide what's best for you.

What is the difference between Princess Platinum Insurance and the regular insurance? Do you buy other insurance to supplement the Platinum insurance? Thanks.

What is the difference between Princess Platinum Insurance and the regular insurance? Do you buy other insurance to supplement the Platinum insurance? Thanks.
Princess Platinum gives you 100% refund (less the cost of insurance) or credit should you cancel. I believe the standard Princess insurance is 75%. No, I don't purchase any other insurance than Princess and the MedJet Assist. I don't get air coverage for a couple of reasons: one is that I can re-schedule my air and the other is that I have a lot of air miles and in a pinch, could book a flight using them. When we were in FL and had to reschedule our air three times, each time AA rescheduled at no cost and when my BIL was finally ready to be flown back to CA (via MedJet Assist since he was still in critical condition), my new ticket home was less than what I'd originally paid so I got a refund. We could have flown in the MedJet jet but my sister is afraid of small planes. It worked out for us.

Princess Platinum gives you 100% refund (less the cost of insurance) or credit should you cancel. I believe the standard Princess insurance is 75%. No, I don't purchase any other insurance than Princess and the MedJet Assist. I don't get air coverage for a couple of reasons: one is that I can re-schedule my air and the other is that I have a lot of air miles and in a pinch, could book a flight using them. When we were in FL and had to reschedule our air three times, each time AA rescheduled at no cost and when my BIL was finally ready to be flown back to CA (via MedJet Assist since he was still in critical condition), my new ticket home was less than what I'd originally paid so I got a refund. We could have flown in the MedJet jet but my sister is afraid of small planes. It worked out for us.

So what if you are on the ship? Do they fly you to land and then MedJet Assist takes over? Did MedJet fly doctors with your BIL and it was totally covered? I hope your BIL is doing well. I now have a pre-extisting condition and need to figure out what to do before I book my next cruise.

Agree. I am a little younger and usually $200 to $230 covers me (for a two week combo vacation / cruise to Europe) with the TravelGuard Gold plan, which is pretty inclusive. I can understand that it would cost more for those a bit older and those needing more insurance. But for younger people, I would think one policy of trip insurance would work better than cruise insurance plus other insurance to cover the rest of the travel.

Archived