LEAST crowded beach St. Thomas

Suzy Q

Need advice on LEAST crowded beach on St. Thomas. Three ships in at Crown Bay when we are there. Considering ferry to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island. Problem is, we don't dock until 8AM and that is the most convenient ferry time. Next time is 10:30. Want to get to beach before ship's tours arrive for lunch. 2---3 hours of quiet beach time is all we want. Don't care about food, beer, loungers or snorkeling. What about Sapphire Beach? Please explain what this is exactly. A resort? Public beach? Thank you in advance

All beaches in St. Thomas are public, Sapphire is part of a condo complex, but you don't have to be an owner or renter to enjoy the beach there. It has great snorkeling, views of St. John and adequate facilities (food, beverages, restrooms, etc.). It's about a 20-30 minute taxi ride from Crown Bay (which can accommodate only 2 cruise ships at a time). Emerald Beach is a 5 minute ride from the dock, there's the Emerald Beach resort with beach bar and restaurant, palapas for shade and lounge chairs. The beach isn't the prettiest, but is rarely crowded and sounds like it'll suit your needs just fine. Have fun!

If you don't care about food, loungers, etc, Brewer's Beach or Smith Bay Park beach are two you might want to visit. Brewer's is closer to Crown Bay, but Smith Bay is prettier. Brewer's has 2 food trucks that sell beverages and sandwiches. No food at Smith Bay. Brewers has picnic tables. There are bathrooms at both, but can't comment on cleanliness. Neither beach has a resort or condo complex. Neither beach has good snorkeling.

I would recommend Lindquist beach. It is just the next beach past Sapphire. It is on the other end of the island, near Red Hook. My avatar photo, that you see above, was taken there. It has no amenities, but there was a lifeguard the last time we went. They working on putting in bathrooms. It is beautiful and not at all crowded. If y ou don't mind the ride, I think that you won't be disappointed.

If the ship docks at 8AM and you you assume you dock on time, getting off before 9:30 is not unrealistic, that gives you then an hour to walk over to the ferry dock. The walk should take you 15-20 minutes, but no need to rush you're on Island time :)

People assume that as soon as the ship docks you can get off, not true. If you are coming from another Island you may need to go through customs onboard prior to departure.

If you are still unsure, I would suggest Brewer's Bay. Brewer's Bay is located on the campus of the University of the VI. It's across from the airport, so you may see a plane or two land and it tends to be more quiet, and "local." Food is usually by food truck there.

Here is a video on Brewer's Bay:

Scott

SuzyQ no problem at all. She has some nice videos that I find to be informative to those who are not in the know. I like them because it makes it wasy for me to link a video about an area i wnat to highlight and you see for yourself.

Glad to help on the ship reminder too.

Scott

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island may not be the LEAST crowded beach, because several sailing tours often stop there, as does the Water Island Bike Tour, and the Kon-Tiki party boat. One never knows from day to day what tours will be stopping there, because it all depends on how many reservations they have for the day.

One issue with Brewer's and Smith Bay Park is how to get there and back since they're not popular tourist beaches. Since Smith Bay Park is on the way to Red Hook, any cab going to Red Hook (and there will probably be PLENTY) will drop you off at Smith Bay Park. Unless a taxi is doing a tour of the West End, you might have difficulty getting a cab for just 2 of you to go to Brewer's.

It's easier to get "public" safari transportation from Smith Bay Park than from Brewer's, because it's a short walk to the main road from Smith Bay Park. The walk from Brewer's is a little further and depending on day and time, transportation may be less frequent.

Of course, if you're renting a car - NO PROBLEM, MON!

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a taxi back from Brewer's Bay. When you get off the ship plenty of taxi's will be waiting. Ask the taxi driver if they would come back and pick you up. Most will be very accomodating and freindly, and willing come back for you at a designated time.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Archived