Azura cruise - just back.

Eclipse1

Hi everyone, this is my first cruise review so hope it's ok and makes sense?

We arrived back yesterday from Barbados after our 14 night cruise on Azura. First time with P&O (sailed predominantly with RCI & Celebrity).

We had a great holiday and loved Azura!

The flights with Thomas Cook were very good and, after reading so many negative reports about them, a pleasant surprise. The crew on both flights were lovely, very friendly and attentive. The aircraft was an Airbus A330-200 and had plenty of room onboard. Numerous drinks were offered (all free) and the food was tasty and nicely presented. The entertainment worked and although not on demand you had 12 channels of TV/movies plus various audio channels. You cal also watch take-off and landing via 2 cameras, one underneath and one facing forward.

The flight organisation at Barbados by P&O is amazing. On arrival you board a bus as soon as you step off the plane and within 30-40mins (depending on traffic) you're at the cruise terminal and able to check-in. Your luggage is delivered straight to your cabin, approximately 3-4 hours after touch down. We were checkind in within 5mins and in our cabin soon after. It's very well organised and pretty much hassle free.

The ship herself is lovely, BIG but lovely. We had a balcony cabin on deck 12 (Australia) and it was great - very comfortable, plenty of storage space, tea/coffee facilities, flat screen interactive tv and nice toiletries from The White Company. Our Cabin attendant (Estella) was lovely and really looked after us.

The food/service onboard was very good - we were in the Oriental restaurant on 2nd sitting dinner and the meals were great. Well presented, plenty of choice, portion size just right and as on most cruises the waiter(s) will bend over backwards to accommodate anything that you may want/like etc. Nothing was too much trouble courtesy of Rajiv and Sutrith - bless'em. You can also chose to have breakfast and a light lunch in the main restaurant if you don't fancy the buffet.

We dined at the 3 speciality restaurants also - Sindhu, XVII and The Glass House...Best tip of all - book as soon as you get onboard as the first two are strictly by reservation only and are very popular. When you board Azura you arrive in the Atrium and there is a desk displaying the various menus and you can book there and then. They will tell you which nights are formal etc so that you can book accordingly. Sindhu was lovely and if you like Indian food it's a must. It's £15pp and well worth it. Great food, service and highly recommended. XVII was 'out of this world' - it's £25pp but amazing. Great menus and the quality/presentation was brilliant. It's unrushed and well paced. It's a total of 7 courses, if you include the little mid-course surprises. It's an English menu themed restaurant - Mum and I loved it. The Glass House is the Olly Smith wine bar/tapas/restaurant. If you like wine you will be in heaven. Every type of wine is available by the glass and you choose between three tapas dishes to accompany your choice or have a main course with/out dessert. It's reasonably priced and the food was lovely - especially the choizo sausage tapas casserole, YUM!! A large glass of wine onboard was roughly £5 but that depends on your choice, some are cheaper and more than that.

The buffet is split in two (Verona & Venezia) and is a standard cruise ship buffet with a good choice of food, but as always can get busy and hard to find a table. The evening meal in there was very good and the tables are laid up nicely, plus they offer a special themed buffet each night towards the rear of the buffet overlooking the terrace pool.

The coffee bar (Java) is on deck 5 within the Atrium and offers Costa coffees etc plus pastries, cakes, sweet treats. You have to pay for the drinks and then the cakes etc are free.

The onboard entertainment was very good. Most evenings there were shows from the ships company ' The Headliners' and comprised of various musical/singing/dancing themed shows. There were a number of guest entertainers onboard, some good and some not so but you're on holiday so anything is acceptable. Our favourite was the sail-away parties on deck as you left some of the ports. It's kitsch and very British seaside i.e. sing-along(s) and dancing but we loved it and it's very popular. The Cruise Director (Neil Oliver) and his team were amazing. They put so much effort into each sail-away and got everyone in the mood, but they're not pushy. Apparently it's a P&O tradition and we loved it. It was packed up on decks 15/16 for each one. I loved it and am now a 'pro' at the Saturday night & Americanos dance moves... :)

Disembarkation was very swift and just as well organised. ou get your luggage labels and boarding cards delivered directly to your cabin and you put your cases out by 0100 at the latest on the day of departure & the next time you see them are on arrival in the UK. You have to vacate your cabin by 0900 and can wait within the lounges or anywhere within the ship. You can also leave your cabin bags within the theatre if you want to go off and explore Barbados. Your flight is called within time order and you are whisked straight to the airport where you go through a dedicated P&O channel for security. You clear immigration onboard the ship - again, very well organised and full details are in your cabin well before the day arrives. It was very good and very well organised, seamless.

We visited Bonaire, Aruba (my favourite), Grand Turk, Ocho Rios (not my favourite), St Maarten (my 2nd favourite), Antigua, Dominica and St Lucia, plus Barbados of course. We didn't do any of the excursions as we went off independently so I can't comment about the excursions organised by P&O but I didn't hear anything negative.

The ship has wifi without and you can purchase various packages onboard offering a different number of minutes, but a top tip...every cruise terminal within the Caribbean provides free wifi so if you don't mind hanging around the terminal you can access the internet for free. I followed the staff and they took me to the best place(s) to get the best signal.

Hope the above helps and makes sense? We had a great cruise and flights and loved P&O and Azura. We will definately cruise with them again, although I am a firm 'Celebrity' fan and they are still my preference. :)

That was a really good review Eclipse, and I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise. I am interested as to why your preference is still Celebrity, as we are going on our first cruise with them to Antartica next year and having been on numerous P & O cruises would love to know your thoughts on how they are better.

Hi there - thanks for your post. It's difficult to 'put my finger' on why I prefer Celebrity, but it's probably partly due to the status/recognition, via their loyalty club, that I get plus their ships. I've only sailed on Equinox, Eclipse and Silhouette (all pretty new) so they're modern, bright, well laid out and the cabins are lovely - although I've only been in balcony cabin, plus the shower rooms & toilets on the above are big and modern.

The ships are big BUT not as big as the likes of Azura, Ventura, Oasis etc. The service on Celebrity has always been faultless & they offer little touches i.e. greeted with a glass of Champagne as you board on day 1, cold towels & sorbet offered around the pool, free soft ice cream and various fruit punch recipes/still lemonade are also free.

My favourite ship is Eclipse. The speciality restaurants are lovely - you've got QSine, Tuscan Grill, Murano & Blu (for AquaSpa passengers) plus the main dining room looks amazing - modern lighting, bright & trendy. The buffet on any of the above ships is large, well laid out, usually plenty of seating (although thats always a challenge on most ships) and a huge selection of food.

My preference is 'personal' and it is hard to explain why. I loved Azura and P&O and hope to cruise with them again. I think Celebrity are maybe 1-2 notches above P&O, but as I've said that is only my personal opinion/tatse.

Hope the above makes sense? I hope you have a great cruise. Mum and I are on Eclipse in September for a cruise ex Southampton around the Med...only 7 months to go :) :)

Hi there - thanks for your post. It's difficult to 'put my finger' on why I prefer Celebrity, but it's probably partly due to the status/recognition, via their loyalty club, that I get plus their ships. I've only sailed on Equinox, Eclipse and Silhouette (all pretty new) so they're modern, bright, well laid out and the cabins are lovely - although I've only been in balcony cabin, plus the shower rooms & toilets on the above are big and modern.

The ships are big BUT not as big as the likes of Azura, Ventura, Oasis etc. The service on Celebrity has always been faultless & they offer little touches i.e. greeted with a glass of Champagne as you board on day 1, cold towels & sorbet offered around the pool, free soft ice cream and various fruit punch recipes/still lemonade are also free.

My favourite ship is Eclipse. The speciality restaurants are lovely - you've got QSine, Tuscan Grill, Murano & Blu (for AquaSpa passengers) plus the main dining room looks amazing - modern lighting, bright & trendy. The buffet on any of the above ships is large, well laid out, usually plenty of seating (although thats always a challenge on most ships) and a huge selection of food.

My preference is 'personal' and it is hard to explain why. I loved Azura and P&O and hope to cruise with them again. I think Celebrity are maybe 1-2 notches above P&O, but as I've said that is only my personal opinion/tatse.

Hope the above makes sense? I hope you have a great cruise. Mum and I are on Eclipse in September for a cruise ex Southampton around the Med...only 7 months to go :) :)

Actually the Solstice Class ships are a little bit bigger than Ventura and Azura. And I have to agree, the ships themselves are absolutely beautiful, and much better laid out than the Grand Class ships P&O have.

Thanks for writing your review Eclipse1. So that the most people can find it, can I suggest you also post it here

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/#

I hope you will also try the other P&O ships, since they are all slightly different in atmosphere etc and you may find one you prefer.

We had a great cruise and flights and loved P&O and Azura. We will definately cruise with them again, although I am a firm 'Celebrity' fan and they are still my preference. :)

We've cruised with Celebrity and P&O and agree with what you said. There's so much we like about Celebrity and it's probably the quality of service that makes it stand out. However, we seem to have more fun on P&O- you mentioned the sailaways, and we also enjoy the entertainment more in general and of course the prices on board are much better. Azura is our favourite of the P&O fleet and is probably the most similar to Eclipse, Equinox etc. We're back on Azura in a few months but are looking to book a Celebrity Cruise again next year.

Hi Tartanexile81. I know what you mean about fun on P&O - we loved the sail-aways and audience participation with the songs/dances etc.

As I said, we had a great time on Azura and I hope that we'll be lucky enough to sail on her again.

Have a great cruise on Azura & enjoy...dance the Americanos for me!

Safe travels.

I have also just returned from Azura and agree with this review (will write mine when I have caught up but sadly must return to work today)....

Surprised me how much we did enjoy this cruise. I think the stress-free organisation has a lot to do with it. My last cruise was on RCL Oasis of the Seas so this did not feel a big ship to us. I think this ship not being in a hot climate where most people are 'outside' or port intensive and not indoors helped a lot. It was the most 'crowded' of ships I have been on but it wasn't uncomfortable. Sea days were obviously the worst where everyone is doing everything at the same time. This has been the same on most ships. I must say however that the Oasis with 6,000 plus people felt less crowded than the Azura.

Thought I would not like the 'British' feel of this ship, but my guilty pleasure was definitely the fun sailaways. Everyone joined in and I sang and danced away from each island. Something I thought I would hate but just LOVED!! I did however miss the great British sailaway as I was quietly sitting at the stern of the ship watching Antigua slip away as the sun set in peace and quiet and couldn't quite pull myself away.

I would definitely cruise the Caribbean on Azura again.... I will do a review once I am up together, but it wouldn't be too different to the excellent review below. I must say however that my preference would still be Royal Caribbean, but loved this trip!

Hi English Rose / Cheryl.

Thanks for your post and I'm glad you had a great cruise too. I was really impressed with Thomas Cook and the organisation getting to/from the ship.

I loved the sail-away parties - even my Mum was up on her feet dancing and singing. I thought the Cruise Director was brilliant and really added the 'fun' factor.

I thought Azura was lovely and I hope to sail on her again.

Our cruise was brilliant and I loved it. Roll on September and our cruise on Eclipse to the Med...7 months and counting!! Ha ha.

Look forward to reading your review.

Shaun

Hi English Rose / Cheryl.

Thanks for your post and I'm glad you had a great cruise too. I was really impressed with Thomas Cook and the organisation getting to/from the ship.

I loved the sail-away parties - even my Mum was up on her feet dancing and singing. I thought the Cruise Director was brilliant and really added the 'fun' factor.

I thought Azura was lovely and I hope to sail on her again.

Our cruise was brilliant and I loved it. Roll on September and our cruise on Eclipse to the Med...7 months and counting!! Ha ha.

Look forward to reading your review.

Shaun

Thanks for a great review Shaun. We too sailed on Azura just before Christmas and enjoyed it much the same as you describe.

Is Celebrity Eclipse an American cruise line?

Hi Essexlass2, Thanks for your post and I'm glad you liked my review. It's quite nerve wracking when you post for the first time - phew!

Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean and Eclipse is one of their ships. They're a US company (HQ in Miami) but Eclipse is UK based out of Southampton for the summer season. She offers cruises to the Baltic & Northern Europe as well the Canaries and trips down to the Med. She's usually in the UK from end of April through to October before repositioning to the US.

Their website is www.celebritycruises.co.uk

The parent company, Royal Caribbean, has Independence of the Seas based out of Southampton too offering similar itineraries to the Med and Canaries.

Hope the above helps & enjoy!! :)

Great review Eclipse, enjoyed reading and very informative for people doing a fly-cruise to the Caribbean for the 1st time, or sailing on Azura.

I've been on Equinox and all the P&O ships (including Azura on a cruise and the naming ceremony) so understand your comments on Celebrity - those big flat screen tv's in all cabins including insides are wonderful too.!

I loved the GlassHouse and 17 on Azura too.

Welcome to the site:)

Hi LibraLass41

Thanks for your reply. I've read this forum for a couple of years but finally felt as though I should give contributing a review a go. Thank you.

I'll hopefully post another one after Eclipse in September.

The whole P&O fly/cruise process is so well organised - its amazing. Totally stress free. I was really impressed.

Safe cruising & enjoy!

Shaun :)

Thanks Eclipse1 (Shaun) for a great review on Azura and your cruise.

We haven't been to the Caribbean on Azura yet, but have been there on Ocean and Ventura.

Your review sounded like one I would write, one of my favourite places is Aruba (land based and visiting for the day) and I too love St Maarten. I wasn't too impressed with Ocho Rios I felt so intimidated when visiting the local market and couldn't wait to get back on the ship. I did however love walking up Dunns River Falls (not sure I'd be able to do this at the moment as I'm recovering from 3 operations on my back), and I like driving through Fern Gully.

We too enjoyed the sailaways and joined in the sing a longs. One time leaving Antigua we were next to a german ship and I think the CD was de la Croix and we were singing our hearts out to Rule Britannia lol

Here's to your next cruise whether on P&O or Celebrity xxxxxxx

Hi Essexlass2, Thanks for your post and I'm glad you liked my review. It's quite nerve wracking when you post for the first time - phew!

Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean and Eclipse is one of their ships. They're a US company (HQ in Miami) but Eclipse is UK based out of Southampton for the summer season. She offers cruises to the Baltic & Northern Europe as well the Canaries and trips down to the Med. She's usually in the UK from end of April through to October before repositioning to the US.

Their website is www.celebritycruises.co.uk

The parent company, Royal Caribbean, has Independence of the Seas based out of Southampton too offering similar itineraries to the Med and Canaries.

Hope the above helps & enjoy!! :)

Thanks Shaun, very helpful and we'll look into Celebrity now :)

Hi ccrystal.

Thank you. I know what you mean about Ocho Rios. Within 20mins of being ashore I was approached & asked "if I wanted to fly" - now suspecting that the guy wasn't a mobile ticket agent for Air Jamaica I declined, only to be shown a bag full of tiny sachets & told he could 'cater' for any recreational substance. At that point my Mum & I made a speedy exit. No one else I spoke too onboard experienced the same thing so obviously myself (aged 42) and my Mum (aged 73) look like notorious crack junkies or drug pimps!!

My Mum was oblivious to what was going on - ignorance is bliss! It made us laugh after though. Ocho Rios is quite intense with lots of hawkers & beggars. Like you we were delighted to get back onboard.

Never a dull moment.

Shaun :-)

Archived