Chukka Beach Break with little kids Review

pitz0005

Prior to leaving I had tried to find answers about Chukka and could not so I felt inclined to write this review. We just returned from Falmouth on RCCL LOS. We booked the Chukka Beach Break through the ship. You can book just the beach break ($29) or the beach break with lunch($49). The non lunch tours depart at 9:00 and 10:00. You pick the time you want to leave when you book the excursion. The lunch included tour leaves at I believe 10:30.

We booked the 10:00 excursion without lunch. There were 6 or us including a 8 month old and a 2 yo. They did not charge for the kids so it was $116 for all 6 of us including beach chairs. The RCCL website shows a minimum age of 6 for the lunch included beach break. We did not have a problem bringing the kids and there was no age restriction. We asked at the excrusion desk and were told there was no age limit. We did not bring car seats (if you want to that is your choice, but please don't tell me how to parent). The bus did have at least a couple seat belts, but the two I tried did not work. Also they did not allow the "free" children to have their own seat on our bus (it was full) so they sat in our laps. Bottom line, if you are intent on using a car seat book a different excursion and good luck finding working seat belts in Jamaica.

After arriving in port you walk about 10 minutes through the Falmouth Port (inside the gates) to the bus excurison area. The buses are air conditioned and hold about 35 people. The ride to Chukka is about 10 minutes on good roads.

Upon arriving they have a short breifing to explain everything. They have changing/restrooms, and a small beach bar serving beer soda and snacks. 20 oz sodas were $3 and beer was $5. They also rent boogie boards for $5. We were offered the option of purchasing lunch upon arrival, but we did not inquire on the price of adding it on once there. They said to let them know by noon if you were interested. During the briefing they said we could stay as long or short as we pleased. They offered to call us a shuttle if one was not waiting when we wanted to leave. The excursion desk told us it was just 3 hours and we could only get on one bus back. We stayed until about 1:30, but others from the 9:00 and 10:00 chose to stay later. I do not know what time the last shuttle is.

The beach itself is nice. It is fairly narrow, but the sand is nice. There is a little clay or somthing right at the water line, but it is narrow and avoidable. There is plenty of shade and they provide beach chairs for free. The chairs are the white plastic ones with the blue fabric. The were in good condition. There were a few vendors trying to sell stuff but they were not persistant. The beach had two security guards and a lifeguard on staff.

The beach is located in Bounty Bay. If you walk 200 yards in one direction you come to the Breezes resort. 200 yards in the other direction was what I believe to be Burwood beach. Chukka was as nice as either of them.

There was no snorkeling as it was all sand. The day we went there was about 3 foot waves which was fun for boogie/body surfing. The Breezes resort did have a jetski on a cart, but I did not inquire if anyone could book it or the price.

It got more crowded as the day went on, but we got great seats by booking the 10:00 time. We were also the only ship in the Falmouth port that day, so it may be more crowded if there are two ships in port. It was never what I would consider overcrowded, but the shade spots did become harder to find for the late arrivals.

Overall it was a good beach day and it worked out well for traveling with two little kids. If the kids were older, I would think about Doctors Cave Beach as they are supposed to have water trampolines and snorkeling available. I would recommend booking the 9:00 or 10:00 time without lunch, especially if there were two ships in port. If you wanted lunch you could add it (at least the day we were there) once there and probably for less than the $20 RCCL charges.

Hopefully this can help some of you out. I think I mentioned everthing I know, but I will try to answer any questions you have.

Thanks for the review... we are considering this in may with our crew of 9 (including a 9, 6, and 4 year old). My one question is.... how steep of a drop is it into the water from the beach. Is there enough shallow water for little kiddos?

I think it would be good for those ages. The shore is pretty gradual, however the day we were there it was a little windy and had some pretty good waves. For me it was fun. There were also alot of kids on boogie boards. If you are looking for a perfect calm water this was not it. I could walk out a long ways before I was waist deep, but the waves were probably 3 feet that day so they would knock down little kids if they went too deep. At that age they could eaisly play at the water line and in a little ways without problem. I have attached a few pics to show you. They are small and I cannot figure out how to insert them in the text. If someone can tell me how to insert them instead of attach them I can try that. Have fun.

2025268538_ChukkaOceanview.jpg.287c5efdb78cc5de59e01e9d0af75092.jpg

1713029682_ChukkaBeach2.jpg.df3d3c2050800fc8ae893e0237f933ff.jpg

1043019960_ChukkaOceanview2.jpg.4c6e661dc1b1306d8471e4b9af35eabf.jpg

My friends and I were on one of the first ships to visit Falmouth last Feb 2011 (NOS). If you "search" this forum, I did a review last year. I also did this excursion last July on my Allure cruise. Highly recommend it for a relaxing beach day.

• 1 year later...

:D:D this was a wealth of info...thinking about this for oasis nov 9th sailing...I know it can be booked prior as a shore excursion,but I thought I read that you could purchase tickets at the kiosk in Falmouth...anybody know if you can?? thanks;);)

Archived