Disgusting experience!!!!!

smallperson

My husband, brother and i just came back on 2/19 from trying to get aboard the norwegian spirit in new orleans. The ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock. Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras, and the norwegian cruise line knows this and didn't let anyone know of an alternate route to get to the ship. We were stuck, and i mean stuck, in traffic for over 5 hours in new orleans while we tried to get to the ship, and we simply could not get there. The ship left without a lot of passengers who had the same experience. Ncl and our travel agency, ***********, do not accept any responsibility for this mess and won't compensate us for the loss of the trip. Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there. Now they say they have no responsibility for these driving direction. We say they do. We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.). We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the passengers who missed this boat does the same. We will prevail in small claims court--the directions that did not work are printed on ncl letterhead, which proves that they expected us to use these directions. If they did not work, ncl should have let us know how to get to the ship.

We are latitudes members who have cruised on ncl many times, without incident. I cannot find the words to express my anger and frustration with this cruise line now. They are real pikers in my opinion, and i am considering not setting foot on another of their ships. I will also write to the better business bureau in my area and complain about this service issue.

Hmm so sorry your plans got messed up:

Mardi gras starts 1 month before fat tuesday. The day varies can be anywhere from early feb to early march. Also one has to look out for JazzFest (late april early may) and the french quarter festival. There are parades on ST. Patricks day, and Easter as well. Parking can be a mess as well as traffic. There was a back way in if coming from the west. The 310 bridge to US 90 will bring you in. You will be coming in from the "west bank" . Parking and downtown can still be a problem. New orleans is pretty crazy everday but more during Mardi Gras.

""Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie2pies

We all know that according to the cheerleaders on this board, NCL can do no wrong. Everything NCL does is ok by them. The food is the best, accomodations are the greatest, and there is never a service problem. Nothing is ever NCL's fault. You won't see much sympathy here.

""

Richie , I like to think of us not as cheerleaders But more as Anti-venom for post's like yours and others that clearly hate NCL.

You see its called Balance and what purpose would you have if you didn't have us ? ;)

You do know that the BBB is not a big deal and is a member based service organization - they worry more about selling "memberships" than anything. They ain't your mother's BBB anymore.

Save your time.

http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/cruise-lines/norwegian-cruise-line-in-miami-fl-26000731

an A plus rating! which means they answer every complaint

We all know that according to the cheerleaders on this board, NCL can do no wrong. Everything NCL does is ok by them. The food is the best, accomodations are the greatest, and there is never a service problem. Nothing is ever NCL's fault. You won't see much sympathy here.

Not a "cheerleader" for NCL at all but how can this persons lack of planning be dumped on NCL?

Doubt they even considered that.....

Perhaps not but as I said I hope they did. The OP came on guns blazing full of emotion. Although I don't agree or think they were thinking in a rational direction, I still wish them no more bad.

If I had been in the position they claim to have been with the ship sailed, my emotions would be running very high as well. I hope that I would not be pointing fingers, or looking to blame anyone and everybody like they did. I know I wouldn't be threatening lawsuits, that isn't even in my character.

But I do wish them well and that they were able to turn a negative to something positive even if that positive is a life lesson for the future.

I'm not a cheerleader for any cruiseline but do believe in prepartion and adequate planning. I'm very sorry the OP "missed the boat" - literally and figuratively. The lesson to be learned is anticipate the unexpected and expected and plan for the expected. Mardi Gras is expected. I feel the OP's frustration and, I might, want to lash out at the cruiseline - but deep inside I would know it's my fault.

Here's hoping the OP has found a way to Costa Maya on Tuesday and at least can salvage some of their vacation.

Fly into Belize City.....take the water taxi to Chetumal, Mexico. Take the bus or taxi to Mahahual.

But you would have to have passports to do so.

Dave

I married into a family of "Why arrive early?" people. They always show up just in time. Or if they get caught in traffic or anything else they are extremely late. I have forced my DW to learn the concept of being early and being prepared. Except for my honeymoon cruise in 1993 on the NCL Seaward, we have always arrived at least a day before the cruise and try to get to the ship early for boarding. When you spend $5000 or more on a suite for 2 you sure don't want to miss the boat.

We cruised on the Spirit out of NOLA on 2/12--the week before. Mardi Gras parades and traffic were already in full swing. Our group spent months planning for the "Mardi Gras situation". Plan A, Plan B and even Plan C. (Including trip insurance)

We got off the Spirit on the day in the OPs post. Yes, it was crazy busy. Our group had to drop Plan A and use Plan B, but we all got to the airport on time.

None of us had ever been to NOLA for Mardi Gras but we had all seen those pictures and videos on the news from past years. :eek::D

My husband, brother and i just came back on 2/19 from trying to get aboard the norwegian spirit in new orleans. The ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock. Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras, and the norwegian cruise line knows this and didn't let anyone know of an alternate route to get to the ship. We were stuck, and i mean stuck, in traffic for over 5 hours in new orleans while we tried to get to the ship, and we simply could not get there. The ship left without a lot of passengers who had the same experience. Ncl and our travel agency, ***********, do not accept any responsibility for this mess and won't compensate us for the loss of the trip. Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there. Now they say they have no responsibility for these driving direction. We say they do. We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.). We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the passengers who missed this boat does the same. We will prevail in small claims court--the directions that did not work are printed on ncl letterhead, which proves that they expected us to use these directions. If they did not work, ncl should have let us know how to get to the ship.

We are latitudes members who have cruised on ncl many times, without incident. I cannot find the words to express my anger and frustration with this cruise line now. They are real pikers in my opinion, and i am considering not setting foot on another of their ships. I will also write to the better business bureau in my area and complain about this service issue.

Sorry you missed your ship. However, I fail to see where NCL is at fault. Unless you bought transfers from NCL, responsibility for getting to the ship on time falls squarely on your shoulders. It was nice of them to send you directions, but that doesn't make them responsible for the traffic. Doing even the slightest amount of research on your part would have turned up that it was Mardi Gras week-end in New Orleans. You can't fault the cruise line for your lack of knowledge of an huge annual event in the city you are sailing out of. I would not expect them to warn me. But then I try to have all my research done before we leave and to make sure we are in our destination city the day before we cruise. This way we make sure we don't miss the ship.

Sorry if this sounds harsh...But a big pet peeve of mine is people who fail to take personal responsibility for their own actions and want to point the finger every which way but at themselves for their own mistakes. Man up and move on.

We cruised on the Spirit out of NOLA on 2/12--the week before. Mardi Gras parades and traffic were already in full swing. Our group spent months planning for the "Mardi Gras situation". Plan A, Plan B and even Plan C. (Including trip insurance)

We got off the Spirit on the day in the OPs post. Yes, it was crazy busy. Our group had to drop Plan A and use Plan B, but we all got to the airport on time.

None of us had ever been to NOLA for Mardi Gras but we had all seen those pictures and videos on the news from past years. :eek::D

And you had a large time with good people, dincha?

Ok .... if I didn't visit Cruise Critic, and no one told me it was Mardi Gras, I wouldn't have known! LOL

But even if you didn't know it was Mardi Gras would you blame NCL for not telling you and blaming them just because they gave you generic directions to the port?

I sympathize with the OP but I really don't see how it is NCL' s fault.

Not sure if it would help in this case. Normally only coverage for delays from commercial transportation. You have an accident in your car driving to the airport you are out of luck. Same would apply to traffic delays I would guess.

Actually, many travel insurance policies DO cover you if you're in an accident on your way to the port/airport and will give a refund. However, I don't think traffic delays are covered. I could be wrong though.

It has been said before but I always go a day early because I never want an excuse to miss the ship.

So many people have mentioned this about flying in a day early, but how would that have helped the OP? Maybe he did fly in a day early. That still wouldn't help with the traffic situation on the way to the port. Whether the OP was driving from the airport or from a hotel, the traffic would still be a nightmare.

I'm wondering though if the OP was in their own car (or rental car) since it seems to me that a taxi driver should have known about traffic problems and had ideas for alternate routes.

Now that we all have given our 2ct. worth --- did any one see this in type -- somewhere -- like "passengers are a no show" or ship leaves with out passengers --- left at dock ---

or was this was a hit to get us to respond -- get the boards going ! ! ! ---

Archived