Tampa help please?

AZchieffan

Trying to get some suggestions from Tampa experts. Flight home isn't unitl 8:30 pm, and was trying to find a few things that would be a nice way to end our trip before heading home. First thought was to see Yankees vs Phillies spring traing game since its right next to the airport, but after a little studying I was able to rent a car for $17 for the day. Soo, now we are thinking maybe a drive somewhere nice. Maybe drive down the coast, find some sea side restraunt serving fresh seafood. Read some good things about Clearwater. Looking for any and all suggestions. Like I said flight isn't unil 8:30 so now we have a car, we are looking for a little adventure.

Thanks CC friends

Trying to get some suggestions from Tampa experts. Flight home isn't unitl 8:30 pm, and was trying to find a few things that would be a nice way to end our trip before heading home. First thought was to see Yankees vs Phillies spring traing game since its right next to the airport, but after a little studying I was able to rent a car for $17 for the day. Soo, now we are thinking maybe a drive somewhere nice. Maybe drive down the coast, find some sea side restraunt serving fresh seafood. Read some good things about Clearwater. Looking for any and all suggestions. Like I said flight isn't unil 8:30 so now we have a car, we are looking for a little adventure.

Thanks CC friends

Clearwater Beach is really nice and there are some nice restaurants there, and it is easy to get back to the airport. I am no expert but since my son attends U of Tampa I have explored a lot of the Tampa area. They have a public beach right in Clearwater next to it is the Hilton (on the beach) they serve a excellent Grouper sandwich!! Clearwater is on 20-25 minutes from the airport and a very easy direct ride. I am cruising out on March 3rd, my son didn't want to come home to NY for spring break so we are trying our first cruise. Good Luck!

Clearwater beach is nice but crowded and parking is a real PITA, especially on weekends.

For a more secluded beach with lots to do, you could visit Ft Desoto Beach over in St. Pete. From Tampa, you just get on I-275 and go over the Howard Franklin Bridge and follow the interstate into St.Pete to the Pinellas Bayway/Ft Desoto exit. It is a pretty short drive (maybe 30 min) and interstate most of the way. Ft Desoto has the Fort that you can do a self guided tour, lots of great beaches and shelling, bike, kayak and canoe rentals and and fishing from one of the two piers. http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

There is also a nice waterside restaurant on the entrance road to Ft. Desoto, it is called Billy's Stonecrab & Seafood House. The food and view are both good. If you show your receipt, you get a free boat ride. It's a neat place to visit. http://www.billysstonecrab.com/map.html

Enjoy your visit. :)

Thanks CC friends

Can you provide any more info on the rental car? $17/day sounds like a great rate! We have an afternoon flight out of Tampa next month and for that price it might be worth it even though we'd only need it for about 4 hours...

I think we have a winner! Thanks Hoosier, that sounds like a really nice outing. Looks like everything we were looking for in a day before our flight. Only time I have ever been to Florida was leaving on a cruise, never spent any time there. So looking at the websites you have provided it really looks like it should be a great day. Might even try to fit in the Salvador Dali museum if we still have time, probably not just a thought.

Thank you for the great information. I have definitley been using some of your other posts with useful Tampa information for our trip. Its people like you that makes CC a great resourceful site. :)

Can you provide any more info on the rental car? $17/day sounds like a great rate! We have an afternoon flight out of Tampa next month and for that price it might be worth it even though we'd only need it for about 4 hours...

Exactly! We only needed a car for about 6 hours. It was on the Budget website. I believe it was a special they were running. Just clicked on the ad and put in my info. We are staying at the Hampton Rocky Point, so we have transportation back to the airport and will just pick up our car from there.

I think we have a winner! Thanks Hoosier, that sounds like a really nice outing. Looks like everything we were looking for in a day before our flight. Only time I have ever been to Florida was leaving on a cruise, never spent any time there. So looking at the websites you have provided it really looks like it should be a great day. Might even try to fit in the Salvador Dali museum if we still have time, probably not just a thought.

Thank you for the great information. I have definitley been using some of your other posts with useful Tampa information for our trip. Its people like you that makes CC a great resourceful site. :)

I'm glad that I could help. St.Pete is my original hometown. :D

In the event of rain, here is a really neat place that you could also visit and it is right near the Dali Museum. The Pier is downtown St.Pete. There are shops, restaurants and last time I was there, an aquarium. My favorite place for lunch or dinner, is up on top at Cha-Cha Coconuts. The view is fantastic and you can catch the best sunsets there as well. Here is the link for more info: http://stpetepier.com/

The Chihuly Museum is also near the Pier and the Dali. Dale Chihuly is the artist that made the glass chandelier for the Bellagio in Vegas and also the glass sculptur at Atlantis in Nassau. http://www.chihuly.com/chihuly-across-florida-at-museum-of-fine-arts-st-petersburg.aspx

Have a great time. :)

If you go to Clearwater just leave plenty of extra time to get back-as we have sat in some long traffic jams leaving Clearwater beach. Might be nice :)to spend later part of day in Ybor City. I love the shops and restaurants there, and it's close to downtown (don't want to miss your flight)!

comments based on living there a couple of years - then parents living there a couple of years - then daughter needing Dr appointments there for several years - and sailing out of Tampa last month:

- the stated time to get to Clearwater beach (fm Tampa downtown) can be VERY optomistic. I usually plan an hour and sometimes that is not enuf.

- if heading to the beach in the Clearwater area I head to John's Pass Village area usually (unless I have the time to go to Pass-a-Grille & the Hurricane). Nice beach, good shops on the boardwalk and several decent places to eat.

- but you can stay in the Tampa area....next to the terminals is the Tampa aquarium, and you can hop the trolley to YBOR City with lots of Spanish and Cuban culture including the Columbia rest'

..Just my opinion but - it is a vacation so why rush off the ship, be off around 9 is still early, get a rental car - an hour, it is now 10. Flight is at 8:30 need to be there no later than 7:30, add 30 minutes for the car turn in (assuming it is airport) that means be there by 7. the 6 to 7 hour 'tween St Pete and Tampa can be KILLER on the roads...and the 9am hour can still have morning carry over issues. But true, you might have from 10 to 7 to kill - going to/from Clearwater cuts an hour off each side on my crude clock - you have 7 hours. You could go to Tarpoon Springs (add to travel time) - you could really enjoy the John's Pass or downtown St Pete, or Tampa or Ft DeSoto areas . . .

I'd stay away from the St Pete to Tampa bridges if I could - going to St Pete and trying to get to Tampa airport puts me on those bridges around 6pm and IME that is not fun.

So staying on the Tampa side I'd be looking at the aquarium, Ybor, the zoo, long lunch at the Columbia, short day at BG . . . .

Archived