And you think you are sophisticated!!!

ahoughton

Just when I was feeling good about myself I read an article by Carol Sottili with the Washington Post. In answering a question about NCL she says "The line generally offers fares on the low end and appeals to a less sophisticated, more casual clientele attracted by its "free-style cruising," which allows more dining choices and a gererally more relaxed atmosphere."

I knew there was a reason I didn't like that free-style. I guess its back to Royal Caribbean for my self-esteem.

"Baby lets cruise away from here"

Remember its the Washington Post. The NY Times doesn't do much about cruising unless its the QM2. Oceania is casual too. Must be the Washington Post is supporting the formal wear industry. Clothes and freestyle doesn't make it less sophisticated although tattoos do...

So if NCL is less sophisticated why do they offer some of the best suites afloat? For the unsophisticated wealthy people??

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 3/00

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 4/01

Carnival Sensation 12/01 with Rusty Wallace

Celebrity Summit 12/02

Celebrity Horizon 9/03(Mom never told me that Bermuda looks like Canada)

NCL Dawn 7/04

Okay so living out here in the country with 4 restaurants in my whole town makes me more sophisticated than my city dwelling friends who could eat in a different restaurant every day for a whole year. Yee Haw Ahm Uh Sofisticat!!

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Pride of Aloha 6/07/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Just when I was feeling good about myself I read an article by Carol Sottili with the Washington Post. In answering a question about NCL she says "The line generally offers fares on the low end and appeals to a less sophisticated, more casual clientele attracted by its "free-style cruising," which allows more dining choices and a gererally more relaxed atmosphere." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh...That describes my DH and I, a discriminating, high developed couple with the savoir faire to choose an assemblage of wonderful folk to vacation, dine, and spend time with! icon_wink.gif

<LI>Tropicale ~ 5/93 <LI> Norwegian Wind ~ Hawaii ~ 4/4/03 <LI>Norwegian Majesty ~ Bermuda~ 5/30/04 <LI>countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;05;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail on the Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda!

lmkbubblfsh.gif

It's you guys from Citrus Heights and Placerville with no sophistication that makes NCL stay in business. Gee 4 restaurants in town, here in Belen we have about 14, none are good but we have them. Of course we all what real class is, it's when you grow your own crops and can your own fruits and veggies every summer like we do. LOL! Now I understand why I like NCL so much, the Wash Post doesn't!! NMNIta

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

I enjoy NCL because no one looks at me funny when I pick my teeth in the dining room, do belly flops in the hot tub and fill my purse with crackers from the buffet.

Sheesh--I could almost see their noting that NCL's low fares appeal to a "less sophisticated" group, although you don't have to be a rube to appreciate low prices--but to assume that we're barbarians because we don't want to get dressed up every night is just laughable. Many of us have way too many chances to dress up in real life! And as someone noted, Oceania is freestyle and they're hardly catering to the turnip truck crowd.

Oohh you had to say turnip.....Now I want some turnips stewed with greens and possum.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Pride of Aloha 6/07/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Hmmmmmm, might be me... maybe not icon_rolleyes.gif

so·phis·ti·cat·ed (s-fst-ktd)

adj.

Having acquired worldly knowledge or refinement; lacking natural simplicity or naiveté.

Very complex or complicated: the latest and most sophisticated technology.

Suitable for or appealing to the tastes of sophisticates: a sophisticated drama.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NCL Norway 2/00 - Eastern Carib. poke.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/01 - Western Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/02 - Eastern Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

NCL Dream 3/03 Valparaiso - Miami orangehat.gif

Costa Mediterranea 3/04 Western Carib. icon_eek.gif

icon_wink.gif Proud member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society icon_wink.gif

~~ www.savemartha.com ~~

Hey, I only show my tattoo when I am cruising. I love NCL's low end vacation deals...the savings help me afford my Hummer's gasoline fill ups. In my hometown, we have three dining options: the grocery store five miles down the road, whatever we can shoot, trap or catch, and roadkill (hence the reason for the Hummer)!

Lemanja' icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Oh, when my baby, when my baby smiles at me I go to Rio...de Janeiro!"

Wanderlusty makes am interesting point.

Lots of people I know who have to dress quite formally in their usual daily life don't want to do it while on vacation, while people who don't get much chance to dress up day to day, like formal nights as it gives them the opportunityto put on the glitz for a change.

Now how do we tell which cruise line has the more sophisticated clients?

The funny thing is I was on a "Fun Ship" where that was the case. Formal night people wore their jeans without the holes!!

TRUE STORY

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 3/00

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 4/01

Carnival Sensation 12/01 with Rusty Wallace

Celebrity Summit 12/02

Celebrity Horizon 9/03(Mom never told me that Bermuda looks like Canada)

NCL Dawn 7/04

We'll we are very sophisticated to say the least....

I begin my cruises at shallow-end port, making sure of course I have my beverage securley placed into the little holder. Then I cruise over to Great Diving Board Cay. After that I hit my private Inner Tube island to visit any family or friends who may be staying there. Then its back to port again to refuel from my personal butler, Pitcherson.

Does it get any better?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unsure:

I'll be happy, as long as I can get me one of those imported beers with fruit sticking out the top.

Coors lite and a banana<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch yer grammar, Bud. It's "...get me one a THEM imported beers..."

By the way, I once had the opportunity to cruise with Silversea, and once with Radisson Seven Seas, both of which have "freestyle dining," and casual wear. Both lines included the spitoons, and one of them even had truck tires for use in the pool.

Jana

Archived