Crown Anytime Dining, Standing Ressie for Large Party?

Terry in NJ

Hi again to all the experts!

We will be a party of 12 on the Crown, sailing in 7 weeks.

I've read all the reports on AD but haven't seen any accounts of a standing reservation for a large party.

We would like to go about 6:30 each night. (Yes, I've read this has not been possible for small parties.)

Has anyone had good experience with this or witnessed perhaps, a large table in the same spot, with the same party each night? Do you remember the time?

Thanks for all the help.

I've read all the reports on AD but haven't seen any accounts of a standing reservation for a large party.

We would like to go about 6:30 each night. (Yes, I've read this has not been possible for small parties.)

Has anyone had good experience with this or witnessed perhaps, a large table in the same spot, with the same party each night? Do you remember the time?

Thanks for all the help.

I did this with a party of 21 on the Caribbean Princess one year. On boarding day, we went to see the Maitre'd to ask for a 7:00 pm reservation all week. At first he said that will be difficult that perhaps he can help us with a 6:30 reservation all week and we said we would accept that then too if that was all he can do. We gave him a generous tip and before dinner, we all received cards in our "mailboxes" that we were confirmed for 6:30 all week. Have fun!:)

Thanks for all the help.

As a passenger who always selects Anytime Dining, I have to say that I find requests for standing reservations in AD very annoying and, frankly, unfair. The point of AD is to allow a measure of flexibility if you don't want to be tied to a specific time and table for the duration of the cruise. When passengers who have chosen Anytime Dining then make standing reservations, one of the consequences is that others who have also selected AD have access to fewer of the seats in those dining rooms because you have "taken them out of play." And what happens if you (or some of you) decide not to go one evening? The table sits vacant while they wait for you to show up, and the rest of us wait for available seats, staring at your empty table and wondering why we're waiting.

If you wanted to ensure that your group would always be together, you should have selected Traditional Dining. I realize you may not like the times offered, but that would at least keep you all together. The fair thing for you to do is call the dining room first thing each morning and make a reservation for that night. It's what we're instructed to do if we have chosen Anytime Dining, and I don't like the fact that some of the head waiters bend this rule.

Others may disagree with me, but I also think there are plenty who will say that calling daily for a reservation is the way to handle your large group.

As a passenger who always selects Anytime Dining, I have to say that I find requests for standing reservations in AD very annoying and, frankly, unfair. The point of AD is to allow a measure of flexibility if you don't want to be tied to a specific time and table for the duration of the cruise. When passengers who have chosen Anytime Dining then make standing reservations, one of the consequences is that others who have also selected AD have access to fewer of the seats in those dining rooms because you have "taken them out of play." And what happens if you (or some of you) decide not to go one evening? The table sits vacant while they wait for you to show up, and the rest of us wait for available seats, staring at your empty table and wondering why we're waiting.

If you wanted to ensure that your group would always be together, you should have selected Traditional Dining. I realize you may not like the times offered, but that would at least keep you all together. The fair thing for you to do is call the dining room first thing each morning and make a reservation for that night. It's what we're instructed to do if we have chosen Anytime Dining, and I don't like the fact that some of the head waiters bend this rule.

Others may disagree with me, but I also think there are plenty who will say that calling daily for a reservation is the way to handle your large group.

Well said, many will agree with you. Unfortunately in this world where it is "all about me" many will not care about the impact on others.

I also completely agree with you and we do choose Traditional dining. I usually don't understand when these threads pop up especially when they are asking for times that are so close to the already set Traditional times.

Kim

hear hear-- I agree.

I think that taking standing reservations sucks. (and its what 30 minutes? and for people who want to dine at 7-- that ties that table up for an hour?

When we last sailed on Princess (Crown) the head guy was telling people not standing reservations-- so I thought that was the norm.

hear hear-- I agree.

I think that taking standing reservations sucks. (and its what 30 minutes? and for people who want to dine at 7-- that ties that table up for an hour?

When we last sailed on Princess (Crown) the head guy was telling people not standing reservations-- so I thought that was the norm.

Thanks for all the help.

I'm part of this group of 12 and calling each day is a very good idea ! You never know if the number in our group for dinner will fluctuate on any given day, due to others having the specialty dining or wanting to just go to the buffet on the Lido Deck. Thanks !!

Well said, many will agree with you. Unfortunately in this world where it is "all about me" many will not care about the impact on others.

I certainly hope your comment was not meant for our group... Our group does care about others ! That's why we are asking the question now, on Cruise Critic, to all the experts ! AND, now we know calling each day with the exact number in our party and the specific time we all wish to go, depending on whether it's a sea day or Port day, will work perfectly !

I'm another part of that group. Honestly, none of us are "all about me." In fact, the opposite is true and we would NEVER leave an empty table and inconvenience others. We know one night we would go to the steak house and that night would not reserve a table. HOWEVER, the only reason we ask this is from experience of going on a previous cruise -- specifically, the first time on anytime dining, and being told there were not any available tables until 8:30 or so. If everything is fair and even, fine, but if it's not, we would like to ensure we can all eat together. Large groups can be difficult to accomodate. We are coming from various places, including my son from overseas -- therefore, we would like to spend time together, not at random tables around the dining room.

None of this is meant to be snarky -- it is true and from the heart - please don't judge! We're really a very nice group who enjoy being together.

I'm another part of that group. Honestly, none of us are "all about me." In fact, the opposite is true and we would NEVER leave an empty table and inconvenience others. We know one night we would go to the steak house and that night would not reserve a table. HOWEVER, the only reason we ask this is from experience of going on a previous cruise -- specifically, the first time on anytime dining, and being told there were not any available tables until 8:30 or so. If everything is fair and even, fine, but if it's not, we would like to ensure we can all eat together. Large groups can be difficult to accomodate. We are coming from various places, including my son from overseas -- therefore, we would like to spend time together, not at random tables around the dining room.

None of this is meant to be snarky -- it is true and from the heart - please don't judge! We're really a very nice group who enjoy being together.

From what I have read, I would think that the only way you can guarantee a specific time for your group would be to do the Traditional dining and link all your reservations. It does sound like peoples experiences vary from ship to ship and person running the dining rooms. We have always done Trad dining and we almost always book at least one night in the specialty dining. We just let our server know that we will not be there the next night. They do not have any problems with that at all.

Kim

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but your reply does not answer the OP’s question, does it? What difference will it make between a standing reservation for the week or calling daily….it’s still a reservation in anytime dining which Princess does allow. What if the OP couldn't get traditional dining as it is usually waitlisted and had no other choice to select anytime? Although I never experienced long waits as others comment on here, the bigger problem that comes with those waits might have something more to do with those who book traditional and decide on any given day they are running late for dinner so they utilize the anytime dining rooms. That is what I call unfair and something Princess needs to get their act together on.

As a passenger who always selects Anytime Dining, I have to say that I find requests for standing reservations in AD very annoying and, frankly, unfair. The point of AD is to allow a measure of flexibility if you don't want to be tied to a specific time and table for the duration of the cruise.

Hey guess what? I agree with you although I might have said it in a nicer way. And I do know the point of AD, thank you very much. AD worked 6 years ago on the Star with 8 of us, and worked beautifully. We showed up whenever we wanted, never made a reservation and were seated within 15 minutes. Others in my group have had difficulty with AD two times since.

And now, AD is not working on the Crown, this has been reported consistently on this board over the last 3 months. We have a large group, we are sailing over Easter. Forgive me for trying to figure out how to make our dinners go smoothly.

When passengers who have chosen Anytime Dining then make standing reservations, one of the consequences is that others who have also selected AD have access to fewer of the seats in those dining rooms because you have "taken them out of play."

You state pax can make ressies in the am. With all due respect, anyone, at any time, making any dining reservation is taking a table "out of play". That's what a reservation is.

And what happens if you (or some of you) decide not to go one evening? The table sits vacant while they wait for you to show up, and the rest of us wait for available seats, staring at your empty table and wondering why we're waiting.

And now I'm just not showing up and leaving the table empty!

Here's an idea: "Hi Terry in NJ, The fair thing for you to do is call the dining room first thing each morning and make a reservation for that night. It's what we're instructed to do if we have chosen Anytime Dining.

And I would respond, "Thanks for your reply! I learn so much from the kind people who take the time to post advice!"

Unfortunately in this world where it is "all about me" many will not care about the impact on others.

This was simply unnecessary snowskier.

I will go to the Maitre'D upon boarding and ask him/her how they would like for me to proceed with my size group and follow their instructions.

Now let me go to my post asking if there will be a Catholic Mass onboard and check if there are any fires over there. Sheesh.

THANK YOU for all the nice words of advice responding to my original question.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but your reply does not answer the OP’s question, does it? What difference will it make between a standing reservation for the week or calling daily….it’s still a reservation in anytime dining which Princess does allow. What if the OP couldn't get traditional dining as it is usually waitlisted and had no other choice to select anytime? Although I never experienced long waits as others comment on here, the bigger problem that comes with those waits might have something more to do with those who book traditional and decide on any given day they are running late for dinner so they utilize the anytime dining rooms. That is what I call unfair and something Princess needs to get their act together on.

Thank you roe2ship.

I don't understand why some people get so snarky over an innocent question. Cruise ships are set up to allow reservations to be made this way, so what's the problem? If you want a certain time, then reserve it. Unfortunately in this world, some people just like to complain over nothing and ruin a simple friendly conversation.

I will go to the Maitre'D upon boarding and ask him/her how they would like for me to proceed with my size group and follow their instructions.

I think that makes a lot of sense. My apologies for stirring up a hornet's nest - certainly not my intention, and I'm sorry you misunderstood and felt I should have been nicer. Good luck with your dinner arrangements. I hope you land on a solution that works for you and your group as well as other passengers with Anytime Dining.

Archived