SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

Btw, I have been really really good this week. We have a US tv star on board. Long running series recently ended and no guest have bothered this person or teenage child . However London press and other paraparazzi have stalked at beaches etc. SD personnel have never mentioned this person so if I hadnt knocked over on my way to spa I would have never had known on board . . . if not on next week will post details for interested. If not, just ignore me like you usually do:)

FT

Pictures are fabulous, Z. Thank you. Color me jealous, but am so enjoying your adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Need to hear more about the SeaDream soups, though, FT. You never fail to have me salivating with your descriptions. :p

I am glad that things have improved with them changing your room, etc. I must admit that reading of your woes had me concerned. Very. After all FT, next to DisneyJen, I consider you to be one of SD's biggest cheerleaders. If all is not well with you and SD, then all is not well with the world in general.

In honor of your Dubrovnik day, a couple of pics I snapped a few years ago. Thanks for bringing up the good memories:

DubrovnikCroatia10-17-09018.jpg

DubrovnikCroatia10-17-09058.jpg

Btw, I have been really really good this week. We have a US tv star on board. Long running series recently ended and no guest have bothered this person or teenage child . However London press and other paraparazzi have stalked at beaches etc. SD personnel have never mentioned this person so if I hadnt knocked over on my way to spa I would have never had known on board . . . if not on next week will post details for interested. If not, just ignore me like you usually do:)

FT

You are sailing with Charlie Sheen!:eek::D

You are sailing with Charlie Sheen!:eek::D

Not even close . . .

Mimi - sorry to be derelict on soups. Last night was the wonderful carrot and ginger. ZQVOL did not leave a drop of his French onion. I can't remember if I posted about the aubergine and rosemary earlier .. . I had gazpacho one day at lunch and tomato another. Did not have the lobster bisque this week but will have next week.

ZQVOL took the kitchen tour last night and watched Chef cut the very large portions of foi gras. It was delicious . Perfect temp and texture last night. Promise to post more. Had a very enjoyable dinner with the Capt a couple of nights ago where he provided some scoop on our Corinth Canal party. Should be fun

Off to take the cable car up to top of over look before hordes hit

FT

Just finished the Champagne and Caviar Splash and the Barbeque lunch while anchored outside of Dubrovnik. FT, is off on a kayak excursion.

It was less than 4 hours from Kotor to Dubrovnik.

Here are a few initial pictures.

More Dubrovnick pictures added.

We ran into our "star" passenger at lunch today, in fact we sat about two tables apart. No, I did not take any pictures of said person.

Dubrovnick is unbearably hot. There was no way that we would even think about getting on the walls. We ended up taking a panoramic taxi tour with incredible views. I am not happy with the pictures because the sun is always in the wrong place, and moving is not an option since I do not want to fall off cliffs.

We are the only two passengers on board right now as embarkation does not begin for another half an hour. FT will add more later.

I bet it would be fun with Charlie Sheen.:eek: Ok, who then?? It is not like us CC ers will all run out to pester him/her.:D Keep those fun posts coming. Almost time for Royalty.:eek:

If you were a Desparate Housewives fan Teri Hatcher was on board in the owner's suite.

It is hot...really wish we had been able to do this itinerary in May or September. Don't recommend July

11 crew members turn over this week, including our dinner waiter and our cabin attendant. Different spa manager, concierge, and maitre d. Tone will change as we have one large family group with small children and a large party of Norwegians.

Ate lunch off the ship at Nautika, just outside old town main entrance. Had grilled squid, a glass of rose, and a magnificent view. Lucked out and got the last taxi waiting to return to ship. Yesterday a fight broke out between passengers on another line trying to get a taxi back to port!

Happened across an open market today but the highlight was our 1 hr taxi tour that took us over the " new bridge" and the to the top to the old fort and new war memorial.

To be continued

FT

Sounds like another wonderful day on SD ... someday we will do a B2B!

Interesting about Teri Hatcher ... Like to hear that some stars are real people too:p

Appreciate the input on the weather. Has convinced me that once our real life settles down and I can schedule our next SD cruise that the Med is going to be in the shoulder season.

Zqvol's photos are great! Really giving us a sense of a part of Europe we haven't seen.

Can't wait to hear about the Corinth Canal ... leap/bucket list item as you well know!!

Halfway through our two weeks and .. . everyone is on board for Leg 2. I did meander down and check out the Chef’s buffet. More caviar. Chef sees me coming and starts putting it on those little pancakes, blinis. No capers, but sour crème and egg whites go very nicely. Today, 3 different kinds of sandwiches, plus cold cuts and grilled vegetables. And the lovely little liquor filled chocolates I love so much. There was some of the last bit of our sausage from the Chef’s walk in Kotor but none of the lovely cheese – goat, herbed and my favorite, with ham and hot paprika. That is a must when you go to Kotor.

I heard from some guests who went on their own bike ride in Kotor – around the bay and out to a beach. Was the flattest terrain and the most manageable for a “recreational” biker.

I am currently skipping the “intro” to the yacht – Cat, the assistant Activities directors goes through a deck schematic though just about everyone has already found the TOY bar by 4:30. We already know our way around :). But it’s a good idea. I don’t remember it from prior voyages (or maybe I was just having too good a time at TOY to go!)

Just going to Delphi as part of the SD excursions this week. Too hot to try a couple of the others, but we know we are going to lovely beaches.

This week’s sailaway drink is Bellini’s and while I don’t have a spa appointment (saving until the end of the week), I’ll be skipping – I can’t reiterate, how hot it is and would rather stay indoors until we actually start moving. I’m pretty sure we get to skip the life boat drill – last week, ladies had to line up in front of the men and this week we’ve used the lifeboats instead of the tenders the past few days. Daily calendar says all newly embarked guests must attend.

My Crackberry has worked almost the entire trip so far and every port has had “free wireless” advertised.

We did have to get new ID cards today after we returned, but security around this port was non- existent. Our cab driver stopped at the gate (it was up) and when no one came to the car to check security he just drove through. It was tougher to get out this morning – had to show ship’s card and explain concept of staying on to our taxi driver. Usually, you have to present a passport – but that’s it.

I would definitely recommend the kayak trip I took yesterday in Dubrovnik – however, it’s a long one, we had no chop and no wind so it was doable. We had one guest get huffy and leave midway because she couldn’t go as fast as she wanted (this was advertised as a “tour” – not a race, and we went to several sites where the guide gave us historical information) and several kayaks opted to be towed for a portion of the route (these were doubles and I believe hangovers played a significant role!). One dad’s pre teen daughter rode like a princess so we kept each other company at the back of the pack (and no, I did not get towed). Two different times when I was in the middle of the pack, I was broadsided by an out of control canoe so I decided to stay on the outskirts where I could paddle in a straight line and shorter distance! But the most difficult part was the walk through Old Town at peak tourist hour to get to the canoe launch point. Just as bad as Venice and by far the worst crowd we’ve hit since Venice.

Perhaps I missed it – but didn’t see any great shopping. Did buy a bottle of Pear Rakija – skipped the $100 bottle with a pear in it (too beautiful to actually drink) and a jar of Ajvar – the sweet red pepper sauce Chef bought (yes, I could probably buy somewhere in the States, but I wanted to get the brand Chef used while I could still remember it!).

There does seem to be some talk on board on going back to the Nordic/Baltics in 2014. After having taken Regent in Alaska where I spend most of my time either on our balcony or on the rear open deck, I would definitely consider this doable on SD – just concerned if it was a rainy summer. Cold is fine, but rain does limit the use of outdoor space.

I think I've seen 8 of the 11 under 18s on board - probably 4 or so are 10 and under. . . last week we saw very little of the children on board - with the exception of the one running on Deck 5 where they were corraled very quickly, they stayed pretty occupied with the Wi. We'll see, I'm hopeful this week will go as smoothly.

Chef swears we will have a different menu this week . . . can't wait.

FT

We got to skip the drill. Not sure who is worse the kids or some of the adults. The kids have already taken over the hot tub. Not a good sign. JA - It could be a redoux!:mad:

Ugh... that sounds dreadful! Hope things mellow out. :(

We got to skip the drill. Not sure who is worse the kids or some of the adults. The kids have already taken over the hot tub. Not a good sign. JA - It could be a redoux!:mad:

Geez... why do people take young kids on this ship? It is not geared towards them or their interests at all. Small spaces, no organized kids' programs or activities, etc. I just can't see where hanging out at the TOY or in the lounge would hold much interest for smaller kids. Maybe I just don't "get" it? :confused:

zqvol, have really been enjoying the pics and FT thanks so much for such detailed reports. It has been really fun to follow along.

Hope this week isn't too hectic with all the new people on board! :eek:

And agree, July in Europe can be very crowded, hot, and humid. Both our trips to Croatia were in early/mid June and the weather was sunny but still quite comfortable. That said, the water hadn't warmed up yet so it was still very cold! :eek:

Geez... why do people take young kids on this ship? It is not geared towards them or their interests at all. Small spaces, no organized kids' programs or activities, etc. I just can't see where hanging out at the TOY or in the lounge would hold much interest for smaller kids. Maybe I just don't "get" it? :confused:

Can you say "heavily discounted fares" ? Several people were discussing poolside today how this was a recent decision- like in the last week, to make this trip but if I understood the Norwegian father of two of the younger, it was a great deal!

I hope I misunderstood tonight's cocktail hour but it appears we are having both barbecue and degustation tomorrow. Hope I just wasn't paying attention because that is a lot of good food on one day:D

Tonight's dinner was almost identical to last week's. I had the spicy shrimp and glass noodle salad. Scrumptious. No soup as it was cream of broccoli and spicy lentil. Filet was perfectly cooked- I ate every morsel. We had one waiter and one back wait for 24 guests in the tables in our section (the remaining 68 guests had all the rest of the 8-10 wait staff, I inquired about the numbers) so while they worked very hard when it took over an hour for 2 courses, we skipped dessert (didn't need those calories) and ZQVOL has gone off to see Mama Mia the movie while I download some emails from work.

More from Parga tomorrow.

But they do. And they really dont give a you know what what you or I think. they are on vacation and someone else can watch the brats. Fully half of our SeaDream trips have been diminished by other peoples little wonders on board. that is one advantage to a larger ship, you can avoid people if you wish. Much more venues available. But then.........

Yeah, I know...

We've been lucky so far. There was one baby on our first SD cruise and no kids on the second one. I don't have children, but if I did, I would feel weird about bringing them on SeaDream. There just isn't much for them to do. It seems unfair for the kids and the passengers alike.

Planned very well this morning . Slept in late. Breakfast was a fresh Grand Marnier crepe made to order by Chef Sudesh topped with Creme fraiche and blueberries at the Seadream Showcase . I was quite content to watch Chef prepare mine but other guests got a lesson in making. You can also learn how to make a towel animal, get gaming lessons, wine tasting, or spa products.

Pool deck is full. I am in shade on Deck 4 as we pass by the tip of Corfu. We lost an hour last night so I am debating whether it's too early for a caprahaina . Gideon makes an awfully good one and Job keeps me supplied with sparkling water and lime. Glasses were cleaned a few minutes ago and Job got off spots that had been there for months.

FT

Just sailed past Corfu heading south to Parga! Seas have been flat as glass since we left Dubrovnik, 250 miles ago. We only have about 4 hours in Parga, and then we sail to Galaxidi for an excursion Delphi! Pictures will be up later.

The yacht seems empty except for the pool deck. Since 9:00 we I got up I have been fed breakfast, crepes at the Sea Dream Showcase, and now lunch is starting all within 3 hours. Lunch today is the barbeque. Chef has changed the menu up a bit. There is half a pig, a turkey , beef and one other meat on the menu. Last week was lamb, beef, ribs, and shrimp on skewers. I am going to wait until 1:00 to eat.

We had a time change last night and we are now 7 hours ahead of east coast time.

It sounds like we have reached Parga as I hear engine noises and anchor noises. Looks like the nap may have to wait as I go take more pictures.

Parga is a quaint little beach side town. Picturesque waterfront area - little shops and bars. Got there after a great lunch. Whole pig was carved today - wait until you see ZQ Vol's pictures. Lamb and chorizo sausage as well as grilled chicken was great today. Meat lover's paradise. Instead of baked potatoes, they were quartered or one eighthed and seasoned and baked. Wide range of salads - about 8 different types. My dessert initally was the passion fruit chilled soup. Tart and not too sweet, it was delicious. Then on my way back to the cabin I passed the sweets table where a large eclair called out to me. Chef cut it in half - so it was a delightful way to finish. I also discovered cheese bread on the bread table, apparently it is now reserved for the barbeque, so I snagged one mini-loaf for afternoon snack (since we returned late and missed today's passaround, looked liked chocolated coated ice cream on a stick).

Went ashore and did a bit of shopping, then I spent some time on the close by beach (there are two within one walking distance) while ZQ Vol wandered the village a bit more and took pictures. You can rent a paddleboat for 5 Euro a half hour and 10 Euro an hour and go around the bay. About 100 yds out there is a little island that a few brave souls playing dodge the paddle boat were swimming too, others just rode the paddle boats. It has a whitewashed small church flying both the Orthodox and Greek flags. Maybe I'll get energetic and paddle over next time. I did get in the water -- gorgeous and wonderful temperature. Did not brave the "Fish Spa" - maybe another day.

ZQVol found a Greek bakery - I'll let him tell about his cookies, apparently they've gone over well.

Stopped at a waterfront cafe and had an ouzo on ice with lemon and lime. . very good. ZQ Vol had his Mythos. Total cost - 6 Euros.

Tender ride was about 5 minutes. Love being in the lifeboat with the open air.

Getting ready to sail. Have an advance copy of the Captain's Degustation Dinner - will post after I survive all the courses :)

FT

Let's just say I'm glad I didnt want to swim or use the hot tub this pm after we returned. Small children had taken over around 4 pm. One parent of 2 boys under 10 thinks the ship is their playground. The eldest has no qualms about jumping in the pool and another family lets their small son swim around in the hot tub as if it were his own lap pool.

I contrast that to the other extremely well behaved youth on board.

FT

Archived