SD I -July 14, Venice to Athens

frequent traveler

As ZQVOL posted today was not a great day . Extremely overpriced excursion made pretty worthless due to tailoring for physical condition of one guest who had no business being on speed boat. We will see if SD makes right but for $300 per person I expected to go to the beach - not have it scuttled because one guest couldn't make a wet landing

We turned down an invite to the captain's table tonight because I knew I couldn't stop from whining and that's just not nice :)

Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I need to give SD a chance to make it right. Icing down the knee right now. ... Choppy seas on the way back ...

FT

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a great day ... just remember if could be worse:rolleyes:

Zqvol, you were disappointed in Hvar or the way the excursion was handled? We really enjoyed Hvar, especially the panoramic views from the castle.

I can fully appreciate your frustration about the early sail away and not being able to see Diocletian's Palace. Was hoping you'd be able to do both while you were there. :(

Frustrated with the excursion, not Hvar. Daniel, the CAD, has been fielding complaints all afternoon. Sailaway ended up being at 6:30, due to a late arriving excursion. I had plenty of time to see the palace if they had told us. :(

Here are some pics of Hvar

While I enjoyed Hvar, the description of the excursion led us to believe that we would have a couple of hours swimming, not the 30 minutes or so we ended up with.

We have not been disappointed with any of the stops themselves, just the way the excursions have been handled. More on that when we get home and do full reports.

Wondering what it is going to take to get the AC in the cabin working. They can't seem to figure that one out. It is at least 10 degrees cooler in the hall than in the cabin. Really too hot to sleep in the cabin, even with the fan that we have blowing full blast. I have been to the concierge twice and supposedly engineering has fixed the problem. Yeah - right. Other people are complaining that their cabins are too cold.

I am waiting until in the morning for FT's reaction when she reads the two letters that appeared under the door a few minutes ago.

First we will be without Internet or phone service for 24 hours or so while we are in Kotor. Hopefully we don't get charged for that 24 hours but with all that is going on you never know.

Second got an initial reply about the excursion. I will let FT provide reaction when we can get back online.

...I am waiting until in the morning for FT's reaction when she reads the two letters that appeared under the door a few minutes ago.

First we will be without Internet or phone service for 24 hours or so while we are in Kotor. :::snip:::

Second got an initial reply about the excursion. I will let FT provide reaction when we can get back online.

Uh oh...? :eek:

Extremely overpriced excursion made pretty worthless due to tailoring for physical condition of one guest who had no business being on speed boat. We will see if SD makes right but for $300 per person I expected to go to the beach - not have it scuttled because one guest couldn't make a wet landing.

:::snip::: Icing down the knee right now.

FT

I agree, not fair to put one person's issue ahead of the rest of the group's interest if going in it was advertised as an active activity!

Sorry your knee is not being a good passenger, but it's good you are taking care of it so you can still get out and enjoy.

Wondering what it is going to take to get the AC in the cabin working. They can't seem to figure that one out. It is at least 10 degrees cooler in the hall than in the cabin. Really too hot to sleep in the cabin, even with the fan that we have blowing full blast. I have been to the concierge twice and supposedly engineering has fixed the problem. Yeah - right. Other people are complaining that their cabins are too cold.

I am waiting until in the morning for FT's reaction when she reads the two letters that appeared under the door a few minutes ago.

First we will be without Internet or phone service for 24 hours or so while we are in Kotor. Hopefully we don't get charged for that 24 hours but with all that is going on you never know.

Yikes!!! What cabin are you in (you can PM me if you don't want to post here or on FB)? When we sailed in on SD1 in February we were in 213 and we were comfy (you know I like it cold like FT!).

Why are you losing communications in Kotor?

Uh oh...? :eek:

I hear you CDreamer!!:eek:

Why are you losing communications in Kotor? I hear you CDreamer!!:eek:

LOL DJ! SD may lose communications but something tells me we will ALL {{{HEAR!!}}} FT after she gets the "news" from zqvol (above)! :eek:

Also, I can't see zqvol's Hvar pics - goes to a Yahoo link that requires a sign in. Didn't this happen before? :confused: Really looking fwd to seeing these pics.

LOL DJ! SD may lose communications but something tells me we will ALL {{{HEAR!!}}} FT after she gets the "news" from zqvol (above)! :eek:

Also, I can't see zqvol's Hvar pics - goes to a Yahoo link that requires a sign in. Didn't this happen before? :confused: Really looking fwd to seeing these pics.

Trust me CDreamer ... I hope FT doesn't shoot the messenger:eek::p:eek:

I had no problems seeing zqvol's wonderful photos. Are you following him on Flickr.

Trust me CDreamer ... I hope FT doesn't shoot the messenger:eek::p:eek: I had no problems seeing zqvol's wonderful photos. Are you following him on Flickr.

DJ, I can see all the other Venice/early Croatia pics that zqvol posted links to on here, but I can't connect to his most recent link for pics of Hvar.

Instead it goes straight to a "Yahoo" site sign in (on my end), just like the first time he tried to link us all to his pics. :confused:

Jody

No problem with no Internet as long as no $35 charge appears. ZQ Vol las fixed access to pictures. SD's proposed fix has been 20 o/o refund to everyone. Drunk boat driver anandoned one group -they were 3 hrs late and delayed ship.

Truly not a good day for a lot of people.

As I was icing down my knee and settling for cheese and fruit for dinner - a knock on my door. It's Donatas with the caviar surprise and rare chateaubriand from the degustation menu. While the featured dessert was earle grey souffle I had my own trey of petit fours. Yumyum. Thank you Chef Sudesh.

Heading up for sail in to Kotor

Link to pictures is fixed. I keep forgetting to change the permissions on my flickr page when I post. Sorry :(

As far as communication, it seems that we will be so deep in the fjord that we cannot see the satellite, in other words a legitimate technical issue that has nothing to do with SD.

Link to pictures is fixed. I keep forgetting to change the permissions on my flickr page when I post. Sorry :(

As far as communication, it seems that we will be so deep in the fjord that we cannot see the satellite, in other words a legitimate technical issue that has nothing to do with SD.

For what it's worth, zqvol, we had the same dropped communication issue on Le Ponant too. It's not always under the ship's control.

Thanks so much for correcting the pics link - not only did we absolutely love the deep blue skies and clean air there but also the clean, deep blue seas! Thanks for bringing back the memories! :D

Drunk boat driver anandoned one group -they were 3 hrs late and delayed ship. Truly not a good day for a lot of people.

:eek::eek::eek: YIKES?!?!

<<As I was icing down my knee and settling for cheese and fruit for dinner - a knock on my door. It's Donatas with the caviar surprise and rare chateaubriand from the degustation menu. While the featured dessert was earle grey souffle I had my own trey of petit fours. Yumyum. Thank you Chef Sudesh.>>

Ah... what a perfect duo -- Donatas and Sudesh -- who could ask for anything more??? ;)

Yesterday was hot but absolutely fabulous. Chef's walk was easily one of the highlights and SD has bent over backwards to deal with issues from Hvar excursions. More details later. But sailing from Kotor to Dubrovnik and just saw dolphins . .. Remind me to talk about Sudesh' lovely fresh vegetable juice.

On deck so longer post with details will follow.

We're back!

Pictures from Kotor

(I hope I changed the permissions.)

Sailing to Dubrovnik. The splash is poolside today followed by the usual beach barbeque for lunch.

I am sure FT will be checking in soon. Cabin issue was resolved with a move to another cabin.

Just finished the Champagne and Caviar Splash and the Barbeque lunch while anchored outside of Dubrovnik. FT, is off on a kayak excursion.

It was less than 4 hours from Kotor to Dubrovnik.

Here are a few initial pictures.

I did enjoy the kayak trip but boy it was a long one. . . Really tired and sooo glad I don't have to pack to go home. I think when I left off we were in Kotor going on the Chef's walk. This was after a gorgeous sail in - through fjords and a couple of really sharp and narrow turns. Past a "men's island" and a "women's" island, connected by an underground tunnel -- long before the "Chunnel."

Back to the Chef 's walk. Only about 6-8 guests attended. Was the first time Chef Sudesh had done in Kotor, though the Captain told him " buy the good stuff." and head housekeeper Daniella translated for the local merchants. With the assistance of another chef (sorry, name escapes me after nice red wine at dinner and bidding Doramus farewell for his holiday) we tasted tomatoes, peaches, cheeses, cured beef and pork ... See the pig face in the pictures) as well as the local moonshine.

Got to have iced coffee in the walled city before the group broke up. best excursion I can remember :)

FT

Archived