Port Workers

PSU

Since I always tip the dock workers who handle my bags in U.S. ports, I assume I would do the same in Athens and Barcelona. Or do Oceania employees handle the bags?

This is the first time for us on Oceania and the first time on a cruise in Europe.

Any other differences from U.S. ports?

Thanks.

I might be in the minority here but I never tip the dock workers. My father was a longshoreman for years (in Canada) and when he was younger used to take some shifts for the cruises. He said they aren't supposed to take tips (company policy) and are reminded of it before those shifts.

He sometimes used to work a double and so would be making time and a half.

I've never tipped the dock workers and none of my bags have ever gone missing.

Other may have other experiences and opinions.

In Europe they do not seem to have their hand out like in the US ports

In Miami there is a sign up saying no tips for the ports but they still have their hand out

In SFO the guy was gone with our bags before DH could get his hand out of his pocket with the tip

Although tips are rarely refused, in Europe there simply isn't the same tipping culture as in the US. The "normal" tips in the UK for any kind of service are 10 - 12.5% & never more than 15%. In Spain it is much lower - we generally tip 10% in Spain where we have a holiday home but we are regarded as big tippers, the Spanish often don't tip at all or just leave a few coins which may explain why the service was so poor on the RCCL cruise we took from Malaga last year where the vast majority of the passengers were Spanish.

When we arrived at Port of Miami to board our Oceania cruise recently the worker who took our cases said " I will be looking after your bags & if you would like to give me a gratuity now would be the time to do it " - We wouldn't have dared not tip him !!

When we arrived at Port of Miami to board our Oceania cruise recently the worker who took our cases said " I will be looking after your bags & if you would like to give me a gratuity now would be the time to do it " - We wouldn't have dared not tip him !!

How rude! I believe at that point I would have told him I wanted to carry my own luggage aboard with me due to his veiled threat. Then I'd have made sure the folks at O knew why I was carrying my own luggage.

I'm sure you are right but in all honesty I don't believe it would have made one iota of difference if I had reported it to Oceania & the thought of trying to carry on 2 large suitcases & put them through the hand luggage conveyor belt for the sake of $5 or$6 just doesn't bear thinking about !!

That option is not available to you so while you are free to not tip, carrying your bags on is a no go.

I had the exact same experience in Miami with the insinuation that something bad would happen to my bags if I declined to grease the palm of the porter.

How rude! I believe at that point I would have told him I wanted to carry my own luggage aboard with me due to his veiled threat. Then I'd have made sure the folks at O knew why I was carrying my own luggage.

I'm sure you are right but in all honesty I don't believe it would have made one iota of difference if I had reported it to Oceania & the thought of trying to carry on 2 large suitcases & put them through the hand luggage conveyor belt for the sake of $5 or$6 just doesn't bear thinking about !!

I'm not concerned about the tip. I DO tip the porters. But I don't like the veiled threat, and wouldn't tolerate it.

I'm not concerned about the tip. I DO tip the porters. But I don't like the veiled threat, and wouldn't tolerate it.

I think that it is a bit unfair to say that it is a veiled threat.

When a Porter takes your bags when you arrive at a hotel, he takes them directly to your room and you typically tip him there.

In an "on the pier" situation, the Porter takes your bags and hands them over to Oceania staff for distribution on the ship. The Passenger never sees the original Porter again.

Therefore, if you ever intend to tip the Porter who takes your bags, the front end is the place to do it. I don't see why the Porter saying that is threatening.

I always tip service people. It has been ingrained in me living in this country. I have never had any threats made or insinuation that I may never see my luggage. I have experienced this in Italy on a few occasions and especially in Venice where my suitcase was held over the canal in a precarious way when getting off the water taxi at our hotel. I grabbed it just before it fell into the water and and I put his tip back into my pocket. He yelled at me in English and I gave it back to him in Italian. Was he ever shocked!

Archived