Not So "LIVE" Allure of the Seas: TAKE 2

QTMichele

First thank you for a great review! :)

I noticed in your review last year that you stayed in a balcony stateroom. But this time you choose an ocean view. I am currently booked in a CPV (central park view room) and wonder if I should pay the extra $200 to upgrade to a CPB (central park balcony). Did you find that the Allure kept you soooooo busy that you did not spend much time on your balcony last year? You mentioned in this review that someone from your group stayed in a CPV room. How did they like it?

Great review, Michele. Terrific pics too.

I actually "found" your review when "googling" - "Labadee Cabana's". :p

...but then couldn't stop myself from reading your whole review!!!

LOL

Anyway, after reading it I made up my mind to book a Hillside cabana at Nellie's beach for my September cruise (on Freedom)

Thanks again for your very detailed and informative review.

WOW - I've made Google via Cruise Critic - I'm impressed! LOL

You'll love the view the hillside cabanas offer, along with the serenity! They are very peaceful and private.

Thanks for reading! :)

First thank you for a great review! :)

I noticed in your review last year that you stayed in a balcony stateroom. But this time you choose an ocean view. I am currently booked in a CPV (central park view room) and wonder if I should pay the extra $200 to upgrade to a CPB (central park balcony). Did you find that the Allure kept you soooooo busy that you did not spend much time on your balcony last year? You mentioned in this review that someone from your group stayed in a CPV room. How did they like it?

Stateroom questions almost always bring about 1000 different responses, but here's mine...

My husband and I love a balcony cabin - it meets our needs and allows us a little "luxury" by having a private outside area. However, when the 5 of us cruise, the bill adds up very quickly so we are content with an ocean view. I'd even be content with a promenade, but DH refuses. So, for ME, I'm flexible and thrift while enjoying some extra perks. I'm happy with whatever is in the cards, so to speak.

So, for your question about upgraded... I personally would not upgrade, even though it's "just" $200 because I'm not sure I would enjoy the CP balcony cabins. They are not private, and they don't offer much in terms of "entertainment" (with the exception of people watching, birds chirping, and the occasional musician playing). One couple in our party had a CP view room (no balcony) - it was nice, and the love seat was great for additional seating.

If I couldn't have an ocean view balcony, then my next choice, in order of preference, would be: ocean view room, boardwalk/central park view room, promenade, and an inside. If you'd like more details on why I feel this way, then ask, and I shall tell. ;)

Obviously, you'll have to evaluate what's important to you. Will you use the balcony? Do you want privacy or do you want to be in the middle of things? So many things to consider, but one thing to remember: you'll be on a cruise and you will glad to be on it! :D

WOW - I've made Google via Cruise Critic - I'm impressed! LOL

You'll love the view the hillside cabanas offer, along with the serenity! They are very peaceful and private.

Thanks for reading! :)

Stateroom questions almost always bring about 1000 different responses, but here's mine...

My husband and I love a balcony cabin - it meets our needs and allows us a little "luxury" by having a private outside area. However, when the 5 of us cruise, the bill adds up very quickly so we are content with an ocean view. I'd even be content with a promenade, but DH refuses. So, for ME, I'm flexible and thrift while enjoying some extra perks. I'm happy with whatever is in the cards, so to speak.

So, for your question about upgraded... I personally would not upgrade, even though it's "just" $200 because I'm not sure I would enjoy the CP balcony cabins. They are not private, and they don't offer much in terms of "entertainment" (with the exception of people watching, birds chirping, and the occasional musician playing). One couple in our party had a CP view room (no balcony) - it was nice, and the love seat was great for additional seating.

If I couldn't have an ocean view balcony, then my next choice, in order of preference, would be: ocean view room, boardwalk/central park view room, promenade, and an inside. If you'd like more details on why I feel this way, then ask, and I shall tell. ;)

Obviously, you'll have to evaluate what's important to you. Will you use the balcony? Do you want privacy or do you want to be in the middle of things? So many things to consider, but one thing to remember: you'll be on a cruise and you will glad to be on it! :D

Thank You for your comment. I would love to hear why you enjoy particular rooms over others. I have found that choosing a Category and room on the Allure a confusing task. There are quite a bit of choices!

Thank You for your comment. I would love to hear why you enjoy particular rooms over others. I have found that choosing a Category and room on the Allure a confusing task. There are quite a bit of choices!

Okay, these are my opinions based on my personality and budget, your mileage may vary. ;)

Starting with suites - I'd love to stay in one, but I'm too frugal to spend the money (and sometimes it's just plain out of my budget). They look beautiful and the perks are nice, but I can't justify spending at least twice as much when my money can go towards other things that are important to me (more vacations, retirement, charity, etc.). Ultimately, it comes down to money on this one, and it just isn't worth it to me. I may change my mind once my kids are out of the house, I win the lottery that I don't play, inherit a bunch of money, someone offers to pay my expenses, or I get a job. LOL For what it's worth, I have family that can easily afford suites, but they don't get them either. It's just a personal preference.

Ocean View Balcony cabins - my favorite, and will probably always be the cabin we cruise in when it's only DH and me cruising. They cost more, but I love the privacy a balcony offers. I DO use my balcony, especially in the evening. I find the darkness and the ocean sounds to be the perfect reading and/or journaling environment. SOMETIMES I think that I should get an inside so I can cruise twice as much, but I enjoy the balcony and the view too much.

Oceanview - The first OV I had was on this last Allure cruise. I liked it, but I would be fine saving the money and having another "view" room (Promenade, Central Park, or Boardwalk), assuming there was a large savings. It was nice seeing what the weather was like, and having the natural light in our cabin. Other than that, we really weren't in our cabin long enough to enjoy the view.

Promenade cabins - I love these cabins for the price and "entertainment" quality (i.e. the people watching). I would easily choose this cabin if I was cruising alone, with my sister(s), or wanted a budget friendly option. Because I'm not in my cabin very often, I don't feel claustrophobic. Also, because the promenade is always "on," I have a view at any time of day or night. It makes the cabin feel larger too. And the seating is great.

Inside cabins - I haven't stayed in one, but I've seen them. This is definitely a budget option that I would consider, but it would be my last choice. Although I don't think it feels like a closet, insides aren't that large and don't offer a view. I'd miss the openness of the other types of cabins.

I haven't stayed in a family stateroom, but will be on our upcoming Liberty cruise. I also haven't stayed in the other "view/balcony" cabins such as the CP and BW view/balconies, but I have no desire to do so. For me, the ocean is the draw. If one of these cabins was my only option, then I'd choose them in this order: Boardwalk balcony (view of the ocean, actives, and water shows), Boardwalk or Central Park view (natural light, people watching), and Central Park balcony (this doesn't interest me at all - I'd feel like I was in a fish bowl, but it would make the cabin feel more open/spacious, and getting outside to feel the weather would be a slight advantage).

So, that's how *I* feel, and I know others will and do feel differently, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

As for the Oasis Class ships, I prefer deck 8 - the easy access to the cabin no matter where you are on the ship, is wonderful. Walking through CP to get to the cabin instead of a long hallway can't be beat. We try to book near the elevators/stairways. Deck 5 (promenade) would probably be my second choice for the easy access to the Royal Promenade.

Thank you so much for all your posts and answers. We just booked the Allure for next January and booked the same style of cabin as yours on deck ten. I am so glad to see what it really looked like and am very satisified. Tried to get the same on deck 8 but nothing available. Do you suggest any other venue for breakfast other than the Windjammer. Thanks again. Alan

I was on Deck 8 this time and Deck 10 on Oasis. I preferred 10. More on that later. ;)

You're a TEASE! LOL Welcome back. Can't wait to read a review. Are you going to post one here?

Thank you so much for all your posts and answers. We just booked the Allure for next January and booked the same style of cabin as yours on deck ten. I am so glad to see what it really looked like and am very satisified. Tried to get the same on deck 8 but nothing available. Do you suggest any other venue for breakfast other than the Windjammer. Thanks again. Alan

You're welcome. :)

Congrats on the Allure booking! As Brian just posted, he preferred deck 10... not sure why, maybe because it's closer to the pools and Windjammer? (I wonder if he stepped foot in the WJ this time around?) I almost mentioned booking a higher deck because I like heights, so I think deck 10 would be great too. Honestly, the actual 10 doesn't matter a lot to me, I prefer a location near the elevator/stairs. I think you'll be fine, but keep your eyes open if you think you'll want to change.

Breakfast venues other than the Windjammer? Give the dining room a try, and, if you're so inclined, book a character breakfast or two (or three!). Johnny Rockets offers a cooked to order breakfast that you may enjoy - it's included, no charge. Give Park Cafe a try too. And, don't forget about room service. The menu is limited, but it's so convenient to have breakfast delivered (especially on early port days).

You're a TEASE! LOL Welcome back. Can't wait to read a review. Are you going to post one here?

You're welcome. :)

Congrats on the Allure booking! As Brian just posted, he preferred deck 10... not sure why, maybe because it's closer to the pools and Windjammer? (I wonder if he stepped foot in the WJ this time around?) I almost mentioned booking a higher deck because I like heights, so I think deck 10 would be great too. Honestly, the actual 10 doesn't matter a lot to me, I prefer a location near the elevator/stairs. I think you'll be fine, but keep your eyes open if you think you'll want to change.

Breakfast venues other than the Windjammer? Give the dining room a try, and, if you're so inclined, book a character breakfast or two (or three!). Johnny Rockets offers a cooked to order breakfast that you may enjoy - it's included, no charge. Give Park Cafe a try too. And, don't forget about room service. The menu is limited, but it's so convenient to have breakfast delivered (especially on early port days).

Thank you again for your response. I apologize for the questions. Do you know if fixed seating, 8:30 pm, is assigned to a specific deck of the 3 MDR decks and also is there a charge for the adult only pool area.

Thank you again for your response. I apologize for the questions. Do you know if fixed seating, 8:30 pm, is assigned to a specific deck of the 3 MDR decks and also is there a charge for the adult only pool area.

No problem - ask away!

My Time Dining is located on deck 5; main and late seating are located on decks 3 and 4.

There is no charge for the adults only pool area.

Solarium for breakfast too! Yes, the review will be on CC.

Yes, forgot that! I never went there for breakfast - I assume you did, Brian? How was it?

:) hope you do not mind a silly question. When getting off the ship at Labadee is it a long walk to the cabanas?

I love your reviews and photos and patience answering all the questions.:)

It's not a long walk, unless you have 3 kids and their gear. ;) We opted for the tram that is for cabana and suite guests. Just go to the information building to request transportation. From there, they will take you to the Barefoot Beach entrance where you will get your wristbands and tour of the grounds as they take you to your cabana. :)

Thanks for loving my reviews! All the nice things people say keep me wanting to write them!

thank you QTMichele for an outstanding review. It is always so nice to travel along and pick up ideas along the way. Thanks for sharing, your family is beautiful and I will look forward to your next review. Although it is a bit torturous as we will not be on the Allure until February!!

Michele,

I just spent the last couple hours reading your entire trip report and loved it! Sounds like you guys had a blast! Your childen are beautiful and your little boy is just to cute!!! Love that face!!!!

I was so excited for your sister when I watched the video. It was very touching - she really was surprised. You did a great job with that "surprise"!!

I do have a question. Do you know if the balcony cabins alternate where the bed is like the ocean view cabin did that you had? We're booked for a B2B in December and I hope our bed is by the window and not the closet. We have a balcony cabin on deck 8. Now that leads me to another question but that would be for Brian.......LOL One more question for now.......how far was the park you went to in Cozumel? Cab fare??

Brian, if your still reading this, can you tell me why you prefer deck 10 over deck 8? It was hard to find a cabin that was available for both weeks so for now we're on deck 8.

Patty

Michele,

I just spent the last couple hours reading your entire trip report and loved it! Sounds like you guys had a blast! Your childen are beautiful and your little boy is just to cute!!! Love that face!!!!

I was so excited for your sister when I watched the video. It was very touching - she really was surprised. You did a great job with that "surprise"!!

I do have a question. Do you know if the balcony cabins alternate where the bed is like the ocean view cabin did that you had? We're booked for a B2B in December and I hope our bed is by the window and not the closet. We have a balcony cabin on deck 8. Now that leads me to another question but that would be for Brian.......LOL One more question for now.......how far was the park you went to in Cozumel? Cab fare??

Brian, if your still reading this, can you tell me why you prefer deck 10 over deck 8? It was hard to find a cabin that was available for both weeks so for now we're on deck 8.

Patty

Thank you, Patty! I appreciate all the nice comments and your time! :) If you want more ship info, then check out my first review - it's focused on the ship.

Yes, the balcony cabins alternate. We had our bed by the balcony last year. It was nice, but, for me, I found perks for both. I hope you get what you want.

We went to Chankanaab. I think it was a 10-15 minute ride. The cab fares are set and based on the number of people. Ours was around $20-22 for 6 people. I can't remember exactly. I do remember that we could've taken 2 cabs by splitting up our group and paid LESS by a few dollars each way. Some things don't make a lot of sense. Lol

I am interested in Brian's response as well. Something tells me he's going to make us wait!

Thank you, Patty! I appreciate all the nice comments and your time! :) If you want more ship info, then check out my first review - it's focused on the ship.

Yes, the balcony cabins alternate. We had our bed by the balcony last year. It was nice, but, for me, I found perks for both. I hope you get what you want.

We went to Chankanaab. I think it was a 10-15 minute ride. The cab fares are set and based on the number of people. Ours was around $20-22 for 6 people. I can't remember exactly. I do remember that we could've taken 2 cabs by splitting up our group and paid LESS by a few dollars each way. Some things don't make a lot of sense. Lol

I am interested in Brian's response as well. Something tells me he's going to make us wait!

Michele, thank you for the information on Chankanaab. I'm going to try to get some information out of Brian, maybe I'll head over to FB and find him.......LOL

When I have time I will definitely read your first review about Allure. Just don't have the time now and I want to be able to go thru it slowly and enjoy every bit of it. Thanks for the great review.

Patty

Archived