Not So "LIVE" Allure of the Seas: TAKE 2

QTMichele

Michele,

I virtually never ever post just a thanks or great review comment. It's not that I don't feel it but it separates the readers from all the good info you and others post about your cruises.

I'd like to thank you for your posts about the Allure this year and last. I've enjoyed reading them and experiencing your cruise along with countless others. We sailed over Thanksgiving 2011 and learned a lot from you and countless others.

You and your family seem like the best people - very down to earth and genuine. I appreciate your taking the time despite not feeling well and having a family to hang out with.

Somehow you even take the time to respond to almost every poster.

I'd put you up there in the Top Five Best with the Hall of Fame posters like Radio, Trainman and the rare other few posters that almost everybody enjoys and would love to hang out with on our next cruise.

Thanks - Rick

Thanks Michele for the great review. I loved the pictures. One of the final ones of your daughter's face painting was beautiful. I have been showing my two dds your pictures and they got us all even more excited for our Allure cruise in October.

I am not sure if this question was asked, but what type of cabana do you feel is nicer ... the over the water cabanas or the hillside cabanas?? How close were the hillside cabanas to the water??

Thanks again.

Cathy

Michele,

I virtually never ever post just a thanks or great review comment. It's not that I don't feel it but it separates the readers from all the good info you and others post about your cruises.

I'd like to thank you for your posts about the Allure this year and last. I've enjoyed reading them and experiencing your cruise along with countless others. We sailed over Thanksgiving 2011 and learned a lot from you and countless others.

You and your family seem like the best people - very down to earth and genuine. I appreciate your taking the time despite not feeling well and having a family to hang out with.

Somehow you even take the time to respond to almost every poster.

I'd put you up there in the Top Five Best with the Hall of Fame posters like Radio, Trainman and the rare other few posters that almost everybody enjoys and would love to hang out with on our next cruise.

Thanks - Rick

Oh wow. Thank you very, very much for your very kind words, Rick. I'm not sure I'm a "Hall of Famer," but I appreciate your confidence. Thank you. But I have to agree about my family - I love them so much, and I can't think of anyone in the world I'd rather be with. We have our issues (don't we all?!), but overall we're a good bunch. I'm so glad you saw a little of that throughout my postings.

As for responding to most of my "followers" (gosh, I'm feeling like a rock star at the moment LOL)... I know that drives some people crazy as they find it distracting, but I like connecting with people.

Thank you for posting more than just a 'nice review' - I do appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thanks Michele for the great review. I loved the pictures. One of the final ones of your daughter's face painting was beautiful. I have been showing my two dds your pictures and they got us all even more excited for our Allure cruise in October.

I am not sure if this question was asked, but what type of cabana do you feel is nicer ... the over the water cabanas or the hillside cabanas?? How close were the hillside cabanas to the water??

Thanks again.

Cathy

My DD's face painting, and all the face paintings we encountered, was wonderful. I was so pleased that the artist who did it didn't just do something basic to "hurry up and get to the next child." I wish I had taken photos of some of the other designs - there were entire faces painted to look like animals, flowers, murals, etc. I don't know if that's the norm, but they did a fabulous job.

How old are your DDs? They are in for a real treat!!! You too!

The over-the-water and hillside cabanas are identical in style. The only difference is location. MY opinion is this: if you want beach access throughout the day, then book an OTW cabana. If you're looking for more R&R with only an occasional dip in the water, beautiful views, and privacy, then the hillside cabanas are very nice. My opinion is based on the cabanas that were rented during our stay there. This could change as more cabanas open up, depending upon their category.

The hillside cabanas aren't far from the water, but there is a little walk - just a minute or so from either beach (Nellie's or Barefoot). Keep in mind that the cabanas ARE on a hillside, and the walkway is made of large, smooth rocks (pavers) that have many bumps along the way. This isn't an "accessible" walk for those with mobility issues. One more note about the hillside cabanas. I would be more likely to use Barefoot Beach over Nellie's Beach if I had a hillside. BB is a nicer area (not necessarily a nicer beach, just less crowded with more service).

Hope that helps.

Such a great job, Michele. Thoroughly enjoyed following your not so live recap. The interactivity of it might make it better than a live review. Thanks!

OK Brian, I have seen you on several other boards and just have to ask...Syracuse fan?

Michele, I have read both Allure reviews now and can't wait for our cruise in 4 weeks on the Allure. Traveling with a family of 5 as well so all your info was very helpful. 3 sons ages 15 and 11 year old twins. Two other families are joining us so the my time dining info is great as we have booked the adults at one table and kids at another. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Have a great week.

I came up with a silly question when I was looking at your pictures...does that iPod dock have an actual LED clock that you can see at night? I hate the idea that I can't see the time unless I bring a clock. It would be great if that is a functioning cook, one less thing to pack!

Thank you for the extensive review Michele. It was wonderful to read and share in the happiness you all had. It is so evident in the pictures and your words.

We are not big time cruisers, didn't even find CC until our 3rd cruise. We have cruised as a couple, as immediate family (15 DS and 17 DD at the time) and extended family (Parents, brother, SIL, 17yo nephew, 19 yo niece, 21 DS and 23 DD at the time). My absolute favorite is with the extended family. We all live in different states and so rarely get to spend any time together. The cousins didn't even really know each other well. The absolute best part was just hanging out with each other.

I am glad you had the opportunity to cruise with the extended family and share with us. Thanks again for your hard work and time you spent.

I came up with a silly question when I was looking at your pictures...does that iPod dock have an actual LED clock that you can see at night? I hate the idea that I can't see the time unless I bring a clock. It would be great if that is a functioning cook, one less thing to pack!

Yes it does have a clock that you can see at night.

My DD's face painting, and all the face paintings we encountered, was wonderful. I was so pleased that the artist who did it didn't just do something basic to "hurry up and get to the next child." I wish I had taken photos of some of the other designs - there were entire faces painted to look like animals, flowers, murals, etc. I don't know if that's the norm, but they did a fabulous job.

How old are your DDs? They are in for a real treat!!! You too!

The over-the-water and hillside cabanas are identical in style. The only difference is location. MY opinion is this: if you want beach access throughout the day, then book an OTW cabana. If you're looking for more R&R with only an occasional dip in the water, beautiful views, and privacy, then the hillside cabanas are very nice. My opinion is based on the cabanas that were rented during our stay there. This could change as more cabanas open up, depending upon their category.

The hillside cabanas aren't far from the water, but there is a little walk - just a minute or so from either beach (Nellie's or Barefoot). Keep in mind that the cabanas ARE on a hillside, and the walkway is made of large, smooth rocks (pavers) that have many bumps along the way. This isn't an "accessible" walk for those with mobility issues. One more note about the hillside cabanas. I would be more likely to use Barefoot Beach over Nellie's Beach if I had a hillside. BB is a nicer area (not necessarily a nicer beach, just less crowded with more service).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the insight into the cabanas. We are travelling with friends who have 2 children as well ... so a cabana would be great to share!! My dds are 12 and 8 ... my 8 year old will love the face painting and all the "free" stuff on the boardwalk!!

Cathy

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to share. Interested to hear you found WJ ok for casual dinner..there's lots of people around who give big thumbs down to that! Myself and DW will prib try it some evening on our cruise when we can't be bothered with the big 3 course meal in MDR.

OK Brian, I have seen you on several other boards and just have to ask...Syracuse fan?

Michele, I have read both Allure reviews now and can't wait for our cruise in 4 weeks on the Allure. Traveling with a family of 5 as well so all your info was very helpful. 3 sons ages 15 and 11 year old twins. Two other families are joining us so the my time dining info is great as we have booked the adults at one table and kids at another. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Have a great week.

Just 4 weeks?! You're so close!! Your kids should love the Allure - there's just so much to do, and it's "cool" to do the kids' stuff on the ship. ;) And, you know what's great about having other families with you? You can do whatever you want and meet up for dinner (or whatever) and feel like you're not in each other's business all vacation long. Allure is a great ship for groups! Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you for the extensive review Michele. It was wonderful to read and share in the happiness you all had. It is so evident in the pictures and your words.

We are not big time cruisers, didn't even find CC until our 3rd cruise. We have cruised as a couple, as immediate family (15 DS and 17 DD at the time) and extended family (Parents, brother, SIL, 17yo nephew, 19 yo niece, 21 DS and 23 DD at the time). My absolute favorite is with the extended family. We all live in different states and so rarely get to spend any time together. The cousins didn't even really know each other well. The absolute best part was just hanging out with each other.

I am glad you had the opportunity to cruise with the extended family and share with us. Thanks again for your hard work and time you spent.

You're welcome! I'm glad you had the "best" cruise with your family too. There's something so nice about being together without being on top of each other all week.

Thanks for the insight into the cabanas. We are travelling with friends who have 2 children as well ... so a cabana would be great to share!! My dds are 12 and 8 ... my 8 year old will love the face painting and all the "free" stuff on the boardwalk!!

Cathy

Yes she will!!! I saw a few adults with face paintings too... maybe you'll give it a try. Unfortunately, I never thought to try it. ;)

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to share. Interested to hear you found WJ ok for casual dinner..there's lots of people around who give big thumbs down to that! Myself and DW will prib try it some evening on our cruise when we can't be bothered with the big 3 course meal in MDR.

I thought the WJ for dinner was anywhere from fine to good, depending upon the night and what they were serving. The dining room is lovely too, and it works for us when we have the time (and patience) to get ready for dinner. With kids (and sometimes without), it's just nice to have a more relaxed meal without having to worry that the 3 year old didn't have a nap and it's okay if he makes a little noise. The WJ fits the bill for us on those nights. I know everyone has their opinion on this, and some people make a point of not stepping foot in the WJ during their cruise, but I like the variety - there's something for everyone.

Something to note... on the Freedom, the WJ was much nicer in the evening than during the day. They "gussied it up" with softer lighting, partially set tables (okay, just the napkins and silverware), and I'm thinking table clothes, but my memory is failing me there (I need to go back and read my Freedom review! LOL). Dinner in the WJ on Allure is just like lunch or breakfast - nothing special; although, the lights may be a little softer. Maybe. My memory fails me again.

Best advice - on a day you just don't feel like getting ready for dinner, then give the WJ a try. Or, stop in before going to the dining room just to see how things are. You may be surprised.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for sharing your "journal" and sisters wedding with all of us. It is making me even more excited to board the Allure, but have to wait for next April. Loved the photo of your son's face with the sundae.....made our day!

Oh, I know what that long wait is like! BUT, part of the excitement is the wait, if you can think of it that way. Keep reading the reviews and dreaming... because, even after all that, you won't have a clue how beautiful this ship is until you see it for yourself. Seriously!

I was just asking my mom the other day if I over-talked Allure. You know how people talk about a movie or a book and talk it up so much that you end up being disappointed by it? Well, that's what I was afraid I had done with my family. Thankfully her answer was a big NO. She was just overwhelmed by the ship (in a good way). It is her favorite! (She's been on Disney, Carnival, and Royal's Navigator and Freedom.)

Thanks for reading, and glad I could make your day with two little "sweets."

Michele,

I cant explain in words how much I love your reviews!! Thank you for sharing your cruise and your family with all of us. You have a beautiful family and CONGRATS to adding a BIL to your family!! We were also able to rent a cabana in Labadee and loved it!! Which excursions would you recommend for the Eastern Caribbean?

Take care!

Abealon :)

Of course! Let's Go Orange! :D

Which other boards?

You started out on the April Fools Allure sailing but the spring break must have changed for your kids. We are lucky that our kids are off April 2-9 and no snow days to make up. I am born and raised syracusian and a graduate as well but now live in ACC territory!!!

I saw your uncle(?) wearing a Syracuse jacket on day 1.

Yes you did. :)

Michele,

I cant explain in words how much I love your reviews!! Thank you for sharing your cruise and your family with all of us. You have a beautiful family and CONGRATS to adding a BIL to your family!! We were also able to rent a cabana in Labadee and loved it!! Which excursions would you recommend for the Eastern Caribbean?

Take care!

Thanks!!! Everyone has been so kind, and I appreciate all the nice things people have to say. I appreciate you too - thanks for reading!

I hope you love your cabana - they aren't cheap, but they are nice.

Michele,

Take care!

Regarding excursions...

Best advice: go to the "ports" section of Cruise Critic's message boards, find the islands you'll be visiting, and start reading about some of the excursions offered, or start your own post.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, what you like, what your budget is, etc. (See what I'm getting at?) Before I give you my opinion, I'd like the answers to those questions so I can better help you, or tell you where to find the answer.

I will tell you what we did on our Eastern itinerary.

Bahamas - blah. We walked around for a while, then went back on the ship. Allure isn't there long enough to do an excursion such as Atlantis (unless you don't mind spending all the $$$ for just a few hours), and there wasn't a lot that I was interested in doing there. If staying on the ship isn't your thing and you want to make a day of it, then book an excursion, or have a plan. Walking around aimlessly isn't all that great.

St. Maarten - this is one of my favorite islands, but I prefer to go and stay. ;) We're beach people, and St. Maarten has a lot of beautiful beaches. There are a ton of excursions, and many reputable tour guides. This island is a culinary delight, if you're so inclined.

St. Thomas - I've been to Sapphire Beach - not a fan. Beautiful view from the beach, but it was a pretty blah setting. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but it's hard to have the warm fuzzies for a place when you find a used needle in the sand right next to your beach chair. The restaurant wasn't open either, and food was limited. I didn't venture to the restrooms as I've heard horror stories about them, but I've also heard they are fine if you go when they've been cleaned. This beach has a ton of potential though, and I'd go again IF it was managed well.

The last time we were on St. Thomas, we took a ferry to St. John. Oh my gosh - just beautiful! I'd highly recommend it, if you're a beach goer. It's not cheap to get there, even if you do it on your own. We took the ship's excursion which wasn't much more than taking the public transportation. We decided the "safety" of going with the ship's excursion was more appealing that perhaps missing the ferry, or running into traffic on the way back to the ship.

This probably isn't much help, but it's based on my experience. Your mileage may vary. Let me know if you have any questions.

Michele, We just got back on Sunday and it has taken me until today to finish reading your review. I wish I could have read it all before I left on our cruise, but reading yours just brings back memories of ours. I was surprised to hear you did not like the CD, Ken. We found him to be quite intertaining. He seemed to be everywhere and got involved in many of the events. He may have had a bad week but who knows. I think we were told some of his family was on our cruise so that could have made a difference.

I also wanted to say I appreciate parents who understand and take care of their children during dinner and other times when people who are there without kids might want some peace and quiet. I say this because we were a group of 10 and when we all checked in we found out we were on all on the same table, not even close to each other. 8 were on one and 2 who knows where, because of this we had to get our table changed and it ended up being in a "quiet" smaller dinning room with only 8 tables. Four of the tables had small children which made for an interesting time. 2 tables were friends of each other and they had a 1 year old or so that made a high pitch scream all dinner long. I did not let him bother me as I work with small children and was not about to let this bother my meal but others in our group just kept complaining, every night all week long. We had an Asian family next to us that were so well behaved we told them so. Their about 6 year old had on a red bowtie and tails for the formal night. Nobody could say anything to the 2 tables that had a total of 5 small children with them because then the waiter, head waiter or assistant waiter would be docked tips I am sure if they had said anything.

All in all we had a great cruise and would go on one of the big ships again. With so many people we never felt crowded at all..

Thanks again for the review, it was great.

Michelle,

Thanks for this review. We just got off the Allure last Sunday as well and it was great to relive this through your wonder family wedding/vacation. I'm hoping to pay it forward myself and am combing through our pictures. We not much for taking a lot of pictures but I'm hoping we captured some worth sharing.

Archived