Excursion transportation question

born2travel

Hello,

Does anyone know if there any reliable way to find out in advance what kind of transportation (taxi, minivan, open bus, regular bus, or other) will be used for an excursion? Specifically, we are going to Cozumel, and are considering one of the Dolphin interaction excursions.

Before spending a fair dollar for five of us to do this, we need to make sure that the mode of transportation will meet our own, personal safety standards for children travelling in a motor vehicle. Let's leave it at that. Not seeking to start another discussion about car seats and car seat philosophy!

We'd all love to get up close & personal with dolphins and manatees, not to mention enjoy the ocean, but have to be prepared to secure our younger travelers in accordance with the type of vehicle. If we aren't able to do so, the worst that will happen that we'll take a stroll off the ship for a while and then return to enjoy a nearly deserted ship. Not a bad option at all. I might just brave that FlowRider.

Your best bet would be to post this question on the Cozumel board, and see if anyone who has taken this tour will respond. Disney's website is good about advising you if the tour is on one of those open-air "safari buses," but sadly, RCI's website doesn't do that.

Your best bet would be to post this question on the Cozumel board, and see if anyone who has taken this tour will respond. Disney's website is good about advising you if the tour is on one of those open-air "safari buses," but sadly, RCI's website doesn't do that.

ITA, find someone who has done the tour and ask lots of questions. I have not had good luck getting accurate information from either NCL nor their website.

Hey bus man... commuter or operator, maybe? I only ask because my DH is an operator who has been on striker the past few weeks. I am a commuter. The strike is hard for both, otherwise, all is good!

I am glad that Disney excels in advising about the tours, considering the price difference.... Please DO NOT get me wrong! I think Disney is an amazing company and I am happy to make regular pilgrimages to the land of the Mouse. In fact, we settled on a 5-day cruise in order to have the extra days to head up to WDW post-cruise, just so I can get my fix!

B&Z's Mom...a fellow Canadian. I am sure you understand the need to follow our own legislated safety rules wherever we go! I have one very small grandson, who we worry will still be needing a booster seat when he gets his license. Of course for now, he just wants to get out of his 5-point harness. We are just praying he makes THAT milestone before we cruise. I will be looking for folks who have taken the tour...great idea, thanks!

B&Z's Mom...a fellow Canadian. I am sure you understand the need to follow our own legislated safety rules wherever we go! I have one very small grandson, who we worry will still be needing a booster seat when he gets his license. Of course for now, he just wants to get out of his 5-point harness. We are just praying he makes THAT milestone before we cruise. I will be looking for folks who have taken the tour...great idea, thanks!

Yes there are quite a few of us Canadians on this site :) Might have something to do with the big snowstorm going through Ontario right now lol! Yesterday I was out in a spring coat, tomorrow we'll have 20cms of new snow and we're going skiing for the day. Right now I'm trying to plan our next cruise to a warm and sunny place as I can't see across the road because there's so much snow falling :D

I hear you about having lightweight children and meeting the next seating milestone, my DS2 falls into this category very nicely! I am VERY conservative when it comes to using child restraints, I've mentioned before on this board I'm certified as a car seat tech (CRST in Ontario). With that in mind, don't be in too much of a rush to get to the next restraint level. Usually the slower you go, the better, and in a few years you'll be laughing about having to lug those car seats and boosters around the world. Heck I joke my Britax Marathon has travelled more than some of my family ;)

I love planning a warm vacation while the storms rage or the temperatures are in the frigid range, too! It is a mental break from wondering how much has to be cleared out of the driveway before going to work in the morning, or how much ice has to be chiseled off your car. Your storm is headed our way but it still looks like it will turn to rain as it crosses the NB-NS border. I certainly hope so. But, it is the weekend, and let it snow, if it will.

I understand what you are saying about the car seats and boosters. Happily, my DD and DSIL are firm believers, as well. There is nothing more precious than their children and we are used to lugging the gear. This is just the first time we have ever had to be concerned about being able to use the right seats. Previous trips have been to Florida, where it has been easy to install seats in rental vehicles. I am starting to wonder if this cruise was such a good decision. One of the private islands might have been better. But, like I said, if we do nothing but enjoy the ship, we will still have a ball.

Our little guy is truly tiny, and we are hoping for a growth spurt for more reasons than moving to a booster seat. He makes up in attitude what he lacks in size and is blessed with high energy, stamina, and co-ordination. Of course, one of these days, he may just take that spurt and wake up to find himself suddenly tripping over his own feet!

Have a great day on the slopes!

I love planning a warm vacation while the storms rage or the temperatures are in the frigid range, too! It is a mental break from wondering how much has to be cleared out of the driveway before going to work in the morning, or how much ice has to be chiseled off your car. Your storm is headed our way but it still looks like it will turn to rain as it crosses the NB-NS border. I certainly hope so. But, it is the weekend, and let it snow, if it will.

I understand what you are saying about the car seats and boosters. Happily, my DD and DSIL are firm believers, as well. There is nothing more precious than their children and we are used to lugging the gear. This is just the first time we have ever had to be concerned about being able to use the right seats. Previous trips have been to Florida, where it has been easy to install seats in rental vehicles. I am starting to wonder if this cruise was such a good decision. One of the private islands might have been better. But, like I said, if we do nothing but enjoy the ship, we will still have a ball.

Our little guy is truly tiny, and we are hoping for a growth spurt for more reasons than moving to a booster seat. He makes up in attitude what he lacks in size and is blessed with high energy, stamina, and co-ordination. Of course, one of these days, he may just take that spurt and wake up to find himself suddenly tripping over his own feet!

Have a great day on the slopes!

He he he, ITA that the best time to plan a sunny trip is while the snow is flying :) The slopes were great, it's always fun to ski in fresh powder and I can almost feel my toes now lol! We've had our fair share of rain and freezing rain this winter, actually the ice just melted off the driveway before this storm came. It was too the point we could skate on the driveway, which is a new phenomenon for us. Way to reminiscent of the ice storm for me, but I'm better now that we have our own generator ;)

Don't worry too much about the cruise and transportation in the ports of call, I'm sure you'll have a great time and you should be able to find all the information you need to find suitable excursions/things to do on the ports of call forums. I know I was really surprised at the amount of detail I could find, and how reliable the information turned out to be. You can always ask specific questions in this forum too, I've had great luck finding information that way too.

Your little one sounds like my DS2! He's so tiny, second smallest child in his school but so full of spunk, energy and self confidence that it's amazing it comes in such a small package :)

Hi... fresh snow on a good hill, makes winter a bit more palatable, I'm sure! I think I am grateful for the milder temps here as I don't think digging out would have been easy. Half our backyard, and most of the front was underwater. The rain was torrential and the winds high, but the waters have receded nicely and now we've been dusted with just enough snow to disguise the soggy mess.

Your DS2 and my DGS2 sound alike... mini-dynamos! Our fella will be 7 in Sept and has been holding at 36 lbs for the past 6 months. Heart of a lion, though, LOL. DGS1 is 7 going on 8, is small but not distressingly so, super-shy and very sweet. Little brother spares not an ounce for shyness and you pegged the self-confidence. He's is the life of every party, knows everyone in his whole school and assumes he is welcome in every circle, for any activity. Today he has been invited to join DG1's hockey team for practice so we are very much looking forward to watching them on the ice together.

I am hoping the boys will love Adventure Ocean, and that they get to enjoy the kids' dance floor. Both love to dance. Of course DG2 would be happy showing off in the middle of the floor in the Catacombs. It would take him about 2 minutes to have everyone else moved back and clapping. We don't know where he gets it!

Hey bus man... commuter or operator, maybe? I only ask because my DH is an operator who has been on striker the past few weeks. I am a commuter. The strike is hard for both, otherwise, all is good!

Both, actually. My job is to develop service plans for various local transit systems, and I also ride a bus to work. Here's hoping your strike will be settled soon so DH can get back to work, and so can you.

Archived