Dressing up, formal nights, MDR

grozas

I have only been trolling here for a couple of months, but I am a little surprised at the number of threads where the topic is "why do I have to get dressed up on my vacation?"

Guess I am old school when it comes to cruising because in my mind that is part of the elegance of it. Let's face it - 30 years ago, cruising was not for the masses, it was a social activity as well as a vacation. The formality was an important part of what cruising is about.

I realize that this is your vacation and you paid for it. I totally respect that. I have had the need for vacations like that too. We have done several all-inclusives in Playa de Carmen and Jamacia and I love them too. When you pull on your bathing suit and t-shirt in the morning, you are dressed for the day, even closing the disco at 4am. Plus - the booze is FREE!!!! Heck you can park your rear in a lounger and not move all day, Jose will bring every to you. Just a thought.

I have only been trolling here for a couple of months, but I am a little surprised at the number of threads where the topic is "why do I have to get dressed up on my vacation?"

Guess I am old school when it comes to cruising because in my mind that is part of the elegance of it. Let's face it - 30 years ago, cruising was not for the masses, it was a social activity as well as a vacation. The formality was an important part of what cruising is about.

I realize that this is your vacation and you paid for it. I totally respect that. I have had the need for vacations like that too. We have done several all-inclusives in Playa de Carmen and Jamacia and I love them too. When you pull on your bathing suit and t-shirt in the morning, you are dressed for the day, even closing the disco at 4am. Plus - the booze is FREE!!!! Heck you can park your rear in a lounger and not move all day, Jose will bring every to you. Just a thought.

What you are forgeting is that there are some cruise lines, Carnival and NCL included, that are targeting people who want a budget family vacation, not the elegant cruise of old. This is not 30 years ago and some cruise lines do want to make cruising available for the masses. Sure you can still dress up formally if you want to. That's the beauty of it. But please don't expect everyone else on these lines to want to dress formally too. If you want everyone else to be dressed formally, then you should choose to sail on a line that caters to that...they are out there. Just a thought.

On our Carnival cruises we have found a very varied idea of what "cruise elegant" is. I like the idea of being able to decide for myself. You will see everything from evening gowns to jeans/shorts. For us it is fun to dress up just a little, but we don't care how others dress. The choice is your own.

But you do seem to be suggesting that if I don't want to conform to your idea of cruising that I should just go to the casual all inclusives....I guess I just don't understand why what I am wearing should have any impact on anyone else including them even noticing.

I prefer to cruise as my favorite type of vacationing. Sometimes I bring dressier cloths and sometimes I don't........I don't cruise on the higher end lines because I appreaciate that Carnival gives me the option.

And BTW you aren't a troll, you're a lurker......

What you are forgeting is that there are some cruise lines, Carnival and NCL included, that are targeting people who want a budget family vacation, not the elegant cruise of old. This is not 30 years ago and some cruise lines do want to make cruising available for the masses. Sure you can still dress up formally if you want to. That's the beauty of it. But please don't expect everyone else on these lines to want to dress formally too. If you want everyone else to be dressed formally, then you should choose to sail on a line that caters to that...they are out there. Just a thought.

Very well put.

But you do seem to be suggesting that if I don't want to conform to your idea of cruising that I should just go to the casual all inclusives....I guess I just don't understand why what I am wearing should have any impact on anyone else including them even noticing.

I prefer to cruise as my favorite type of vacationing. Sometimes I bring dressier cloths and sometimes I don't........I don't cruise on the higher end lines because I appreciate that Carnival gives me the option.

I totally agree with your post. It doesn't bother me what other people wear and I don't believe it should bother other people what I wear. I have more important things to worry about.

I'm not a person who EVER dresses up. I'm always in jeans and a t-shirt. I will be going on my first cruise in April, so I'm really excited about having ;)an excuse to dress up and be different. I expect it to be a really special night for my husband and me for our anniversary. 😍

I am not suggesting that causal is wrong, just amazed at how the additude has changed over time.

If one wants tuxes and long dresses, there is always Cunard.

BTW - My wife loves to dress up and loves formal pictures so I do it for here. Plays heck with the balance on the S&S card.

Archived