Anyone tried a Dog Mush Camp NOT on an iceberg?

TexasMommy

The Sled Dogs on the icebergs are way out of our price range. However, seeing the sled dogs (and Puppys!) is still high on our list of things to do. I've heard there are some excursions where you are pulled by dogs on special sleds that don't take snow. Has anyone tried these and have any recommendations? Any providers combine this with other excursions?

The Sled Dogs on the icebergs are way out of our price range. However, seeing the sled dogs (and Puppys!) is still high on our list of things to do. I've heard there are some excursions where you are pulled by dogs on special sleds that don't take snow. Has anyone tried these and have any recommendations? Any providers combine this with other excursions?

What are your ports, and will you have time on land pre/post cruise?

Our trip to the Yukon with Trail of 98 Tours includes "Carcross"...chicken lunch and "museum" and also they have a dog camp

we get to pet the pups and for $37 more get a cart ride

You can also do a ship tour to see the mush camps/dogs and get a cart ride

I personally want to combine it with the Yukon trip

either way it looks like fun

they sent me these links >>

Here is a link to Caribou Crossing:

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

Here is the website for the musher(Michelle Phillips): www.yukonhuskies.com

Haven't been to Alaska yet, but i searched these boards for comments on the musher's camps (since we're scared of helicopters...), and I came up with nothing but great and excited reviews! Everyone who wrote about it here said they really loved it, and it actually made me even more excited about the excursion we booked!! :)

From what I've seen, you can do this in Seward, Juneau and Skagway (there might be others I don't know of, but this excusrion for sure exists in these 3 places). We've booked the excursion throught our ship for Juneau. It includes the wheeled "sled" pulled by a dog team through the rainforest. Then an explanetion of what it's like to be a musher, how they take care of the dogs, the clothing, the doggy exercises and everything, playing with puppies and the dog team, and then going over to a suspension bridge to check out the view from there.

Here's one of the many videos on YouTube

Seaveys out of Seward is extremely well run and reasonable in price. Caribou Crossing in the Yukon out of Skagway is also a reasonable priced cart ride/dog encounter. The highest priced cart rides are the ship excursions out of Juneau and Skagway. These are OK, and were a good option when they were $30, but at over $100pp, I am less inclined to recommend them.

The bargain of rides is out of Wasilla at the Sled Dog Headquarters Museum, where Reddington dogs are usually available for about $10 for a few minute ride through the woods.:)

Denali Park has a free sled dog demo (no ride) and very nice kennels to see.

I liked the $10 ride from the Iditarod HQ Museum at Wasilla, except I did felt it was short. But the ride was fun and gets you an idea of the dogs' power.

There's also 2 musher camps near Talkeetna that is very reasonable in price if you are going that direction.

There's also 2 musher camps near Talkeetna that is very reasonable in price if you are going that direction.

There are way more than 2. :)

The winter Anchorage guide used to have all kinds of sled dog kennel listings. Perhaps they still do? Or the Headquarter Museum should have a list of open houses for the sled dogs. The Mat Su area is loaded.

What are your ports, and will you have time on land pre/post cruise?

Sorry! I prob should have said the ports! :)

Vancouver, Canada, At Sea, Tracy Arm, Alaska, Skagway, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska, Ketchikan, Alaska, At Sea, Vancouver, Canada*

And someone did point out I called it an iceberg instead of a glacier. Ha ha. I guess deep down I'm a Texas redneck. :D

I really don't want one that requires a helicopter ride. It appears our cruise line does provide some options. (Did some more research last night.) I just tend to book excursions on my own instead of going through Cruise.

Our trip to the Yukon with Trail of 98 Tours includes "Carcross"...chicken lunch and "museum" and also they have a dog camp

we get to pet the pups and for $37 more get a cart ride

You can also do a ship tour to see the mush camps/dogs and get a cart ride

I personally want to combine it with the Yukon trip

either way it looks like fun

they sent me these links >>

Here is a link to Caribou Crossing:

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

Here is the website for the musher(Michelle Phillips): www.yukonhuskies.com

:)

Thanks! It looks like it is 1.5 hours from Skagway though?

:)

Thanks! It looks like it is 1.5 hours from Skagway though?

Yes..it is at Carcross....

we have a whole day planned for less than the ships excursion to just the (other) dog camp

we are going by private van to Yukon....stopping as we wish, Yukon and Alaska signs, Emerald Lake and more

Carcross is a chicken lunch and donuts and a museum of "taxidermy" looks pretty interesting

this is also where the yukon huskies are...we get to pet and play with the pups, see sleds , etc....

for $37 extra we can ride on the dog cart

our whole excursion including lunch is $99 thru Trail of 98;.which is the top rated tour on Trip Advisor

Michelle and Tom have been so prompt with emails and calls to me, just great. I have the owner (TOM) as our tour guide...we have a 14 person van booked just for us. One thing I have learned on these boards is that with private tours you need to make sure you get the best tour guide. When companies get "popular" they tend to farm out their tours.

I am very excited as I get to do everything I wanted to do in Skagway . IF you want to add the train you can for $83 but I don't really care bout the train

They said we might want to add the "suspension bridge" in the Yukon IF they have coupons/1/2 off LOL

It is a pretty long tour but we have a long day in Skagway

Seeing the Pups is gonna be so much fun I can't wait

We did the one in Carcross and it was fun. A good experience although as noted it is a day trip (either on your own or with one of the package tours). There are some closer to Skagway, if you search "sled dogs skagway", they'll show up.

There are some pictures at this link, as well as a short video of our trip.

I am going on the Pearl in July. One port we're visiting is Skagway. I booked Frontier Excursions on my own. It includes a trip to the Yukon and a musher camp by van. Hope this helps.

We did this as well! Sounds like our trip exactly. And we are getting the cart ride! I thought it was a great price compared to the ship's and you get lunch too!

TexasMommy, we will be doing this excursion in June, I will post when we get back to let you know how it went.

Archived