Chops Grill. Ugh I have no chance!

Tim Cruise

One thing to mention, IMHO, the portion sizes in Chops are huge! Even my husband, who has a very healthy appetite, struggles to make it through appetizer, entree and dessert there. In less you have a really big appetite, I would recommend going to Chops twiced instead of ordering a second entree. The portion sizes there are definitely much bigger than the typical MDR portion sizes!

We both had the porterhouse because we love that strong steak flavor and wanted a bone in steak. There was no consistency in quality... mine was very tough and my husbands was mediocre, they were both the same temperature (medium rare). As a steak lover I was shocked to find they pushed sauces onto everyone and didn't like to no as an answer. A good steak needs no sauce, I now know why they kept trying to get us to use one. :) The sides we had were great though. We had the mushrooms with leeks and the potatoes with prosciutto.

As for the desert, we had the creme brulee and the consistency was off. They hadn't let the custard set and it was more like a very very soft pudding with some sugar caramelized on top of it.

The appetizers were great though. I had the tuna and he had the mushroom soup. We shared the crab and shrimp cake which paled far in comparison to the jumbo lump crab cake the night before at 150 Central Park and also wasn't as good as the one we had in the MDR.

This was a free meal for us as well so no love was lost, but had I paid my own money for it I would have been far more upset with the food.

Thanks! I will just order filet mignon as usual. :D

Agree as well, the hubby is a huge steak lover, and of the same mind that a truly excellent steak can be cooked and served with no sauce required. Just the flavor of the meat and spices used is enough to enjoy your steak. Ribeyes are his favorite cut and I've seen here that Chops may not be the best place to order one due to the high likelihood that it's a huge disappointment???

Was thinking of possibly scheduling a reservation on our upcoming cruise for a speciality dining venue. Now I'm not so sure it should be Chops, heard great things about the other one. Can you still order any steak that is served at Chops if you go to the other specialty restaurant on Liberty of the Seas, or is that only available in the MDR where you can order a simple filet for $15?

The 16 oz bone in ribeye was taken off the menu sometime last year but IMHO, it was NOT a disappointment and I consider myself a steak lover. It was VERY good and cooked perfectly! It has been reported that some ships will still have the ribeye if you request it though. That is likely very hit or miss.

Portofino (the "other" specialty restaurant") offers a filet and you can also order a Chops Filet in the MDR for $14.95

The big thing to remember is, no matter if its the 14.95 filet in the MDR, a Chops steak or the filet in Portofino, they are NOT USDA Prime cuts. They ARE however USDA Choice and thats good enough for me.

If your husband is use to eating in high end steakhouses that offer dry aged Prime cuts, he will likely be disappointed in any steak on board a RCI ship. Hf he is ok with Choice cuts then he will be very pleased IMO

We went to Chops on the Oasis and enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. We both had filet mignon and it was delicious. I had the mushroom soup and my DH had the shrimp cocktail. We had three sides and we each had the chocolate mud pie for dessert. We were so stuffed we could hardly walk back to our cabin!

By the way, we had a bride and groom sitting next to us. The bride was still in her wedding dress, so Chops is a great place for a honeymoon dinner! Enjoy!!

I have dined at Chops at least a dozen time and have never had a bad meal until last month on the Allure. Just wasn't as good but we will be back to Chops again on the Jewel. I have had other entree's besides the filet and they were very good. I do like a Bernaise sauce on my filet. A good steak may not need a sauce but that doesn't mean you can't have it.:)

As far as having two entree's, not sure how a person could. There is so much food.

Archived