Venice Tours

cruiser willy

I would like to say that there is no one day see everything tour available. The reason is that many of the places take several hours to go through. The Doges palace needs a few hours, as does the Galleria dell'Accademia and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection can eat up hours as well. we have not even taken into consideration any of the churches, St. Marks, Galleria dell'Accademia just to name two. Then of course there are the outer islands, Murano, Burano, again to mention just two.

All that and the only way around in Venice is by foot or by water. So, a "see everything in one day tour" offering would be a lie. LOL

I suggest you get do a walk about the first day, get a feel of the place. Then get a 48 hour vaporetto pass which allows you transportation to the other islands and spend some time there. In the end, you may not have seen everything but you will surely have an appreciation of this little village in the lagoon.

http://www.timeout.com/venice/features/382/20-great-things-to-do-in-venice

http://goitaly.about.com/od/thingstoseeanddo/tp/venice-attractions.htm

or, if you want a tour, I have used Viator often and have had good experiences with them. They are a one stop re-seller of tours.

http://www.viator.com/Venice-tours/d522-ttd?pref=02&aid=g2414

Can anyone recommend a good private tour guide / itinerary for Venice? We'll be staying 3 nights pre-cruise, but would like to find someone to show my family of 4 everything important to see in one intensive day of land/sea touring. Thanks!

As Pete from Canada has noted, there are lots of options in Venice. To be honest, much can be done fairly easily on your own without needing a guide. Since you have three pre-cruise nights there, it raises the question of how much to do in Venice versus nearby. Or, do you even farther to some interesting towns, scenic sights, etc.

Tell us more on your specific interests, past Europe travel experiences, etc. How much for history, culture, architecture, food, shopping, etc.?? Below are a few of my suggested highlights to see and do.

Don't miss the spectacular sail-out in Venice!!

Check out this posting that I did with many, many pictures from earlier trips on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

Also, here's a good resource, Venice Tourism Office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,225 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In Venice, here is a view the roof of St. Mark’s from the Campanile Tower. This 323’ high tower offer lots of great views in all directions. The tower is topped by a pyramidal spire with a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902. The tower was originally used as a watch tower for the dock. It is now one of Venice’s most famous symbols. The original Campanile inspired the designs of other towers worldwide.. Next is a tight shot on some of the spectacular art on the front of St. Marks and a unique framing of the Tower from an arch of the Doge’s Palace.:

VeniceStMarksRoomFromTower.jpg

VeniceStMarksTightArt.jpg

VeniceTowerArchFraming.jpg

This is a mask shop hidden on the back-streets of Venice. We had discovered this great place in 1999 and were lucky to find it again as we explored a little off of the typical tourist streets of Venice. They have such delightful and creative designs serving more of a professional customer base. It is not just a tourist place with imported “stuff”. These are the “real” deal that made this art famous in Venice. It is called Tragi comica. Their web address is http://www.tragicomica.it. :

VeniceMaskShopFound.jpg

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

Here is a view of the Grand Canal. It makes a large S-shape through Venice over its 3,800-meter-long distance. The Grand Canal is 30–90 meters wide, with an average depth of 16.5 feet. This view is looking southwest from near the Rialto Bridge showing a variety of boats on this canal.:

VeniceGrCanalBluePostsBoat.jpg

I certainly didn't expect so many great responses.....especially so quickly!!

The pics were AMAZING!!!! Thank you!

To answer a question that one of you asked....

We've been to Europ several times, but never before to Venice. We LOVED the Amalfi coast and Capri. We also loved Santorini and Mykonos. We don't tend to spend alot of time in churches (though we are Catholic) but of course toured all the important churches in Rome, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, etc.

My wife will want to shop. My college kids will want to visit pubs. I will want some great dinner. I was just curious about what sites MUST be seen while in Venice, and how best to see them. We don't mind RUNNING in order to cover alot of territory in a little time. For example, we did Rome in a day! Got off the bus at St. Peter's (Pope saying mass outdoors by sheer coincidence); ran into the Basilica and did a quick self-tour of main floor and the basement, the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel; then bolted out to find the Colosseum, Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. I know we likely missed alot, but were pretty impressed with everything we saw! Similarly, if there are important things to see in Venice, I'd love a systematic list of sites....listed in an efficient order to enable coverage. I certainly don't mind the idea of a self tour, but we tried that at Pompeii and really had no idea what we were looking at!

Thanks so much for all your great advice! We're renting a GREAT 3 bedroom apartment right next to St. Mark's....so close we can practically touch the statuary atop the walls from our terrace! If someone has any thoughts about an order to best cover the main sites...especially the secret places that might otherwise be missed, I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks again!

I certainly didn't expect so many great responses.....especially so quickly!!

The pics were AMAZING!!!! Thank you!

To answer a question that one of you asked....

We've been to Europ several times, but never before to Venice. We LOVED the Amalfi coast and Capri. We also loved Santorini and Mykonos. We don't tend to spend alot of time in churches (though we are Catholic) but of course toured all the important churches in Rome, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, etc.

My wife will want to shop. My college kids will want to visit pubs. I will want some great dinner. I was just curious about what sites MUST be seen while in Venice, and how best to see them. We don't mind RUNNING in order to cover alot of territory in a little time. For example, we did Rome in a day! Got off the bus at St. Peter's (Pope saying mass outdoors by sheer coincidence); ran into the Basilica and did a quick self-tour of main floor and the basement, the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel; then bolted out to find the Colosseum, Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. I know we likely missed alot, but were pretty impressed with everything we saw! Similarly, if there are important things to see in Venice, I'd love a systematic list of sites....listed in an efficient order to enable coverage. I certainly don't mind the idea of a self tour, but we tried that at Pompeii and really had no idea what we were looking at!

Thanks so much for all your great advice! We're renting a GREAT 3 bedroom apartment right next to St. Mark's....so close we can practically touch the statuary atop the walls from our terrace! If someone has any thoughts about an order to best cover the main sites...especially the secret places that might otherwise be missed, I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks again!

Well, the things to see, in my opinion, are of course the Doges Palace by taking the Secret Itineraries tour, St Marks Sq, Rialto Bridge and, the rest is really by getting "lost" in the streets of Venice. Murano is nice as is Burano.

While you wandering the streets, you can shop till you drop. Venice is almost exclusively a tourist area so selling to the tourist is the reason for it being there LOL.

As far as the kids looking for pubs, well, there are restaurants everywhere and they all serve beverages. Not "pub's" per se but lots of places to sit and have a drink.

The whole key to Venice is to walk and look. There is something interesting around every corner from a Gucci store to a Ferrari store to small stalls selling trinkets or street people selling knock offs.

After wandering about for a while, pick a spot and take a gondola ride. You can take them from many places not just the main squares or bridge crossings. Pick a gondola that looks good to you. Make sure it is clean, in good condition, nice upholstery, make sure the gondolier is dressed well etc.

Restaurants, well, they all have menus posted at the entrance, some even have displays so picking something is difficult. So many to choose from. Everyone has a favorite restaurant for their own reasons, personal, had a good time, had good food on that special day or night so, you will have to find one for your special day or evening.

Finally, I really think that your visit to Venice will be yours if you don't make too many plans. Visit the major spots and let Venice be what it is for your time there, a special little part of the World

One more suggestion...

Venice is easy to do on your own. We enhanced our experience by using Rick Steves Audio Europe.

http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

We used the Streetwise Venice map and the Rick Steves Audio Europe, too.

The Grand Canal and the St. Mark's Square tours were great.

We used one iPod with a splitter and two earphones. As long as you stay close together, it works really well. I also have a cord winder that keeps everything neat and easy to place in my purse.

Have fun!

IMHO Venice is one of the few places in Europe where a little pre read in a guide book and a few sheets of paper and walking will get you 99.9% of everything it has to offer.

hylasgirl: I agree... I think just being in Venice and wandering around' date=' is touring Venice. It's a magical place and it's so unique. [/quote']

hylasgirl: Great photos Terry!

Super excellent summary by Chipmaster (and the seconding of this key tip/point by hylasgirl). Venice is relatively small and perfect for walking around' date=' discovering some new, interesting little spots, shops, sights and historic places, etc.

Appreciate the kind and nice comments by hylasgirl on my photos. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make such comments.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,454 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

To the OP: I really don't think you NEED an itinerary. The major sites are very close to you, St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace are right there. From your description, your family may not be interested in seeing the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (essentially a museum in her house). I think you are trying to overplan. Venice is not like Rome with many "must sees". Venice itself is the must-see. Be sure to take the vaporetto ride (or a gondola if your pockets are overflowing) up the Grand Canal, easily done with the #1 vaporetto. Venice is VERY small--you can walk the entire island, and believe me, we have walked to nearly every part of it. We just like to meander and see where we find ourselves--as stated you cannot get too lost!

OP, if you really want tours or ideas of tours offered (to give you an idea of whats available) go to viator dot com and put in Venice.

We did a ghost walking tour at night (which would have been great, IF IT WASN'T POURING RAIN) no refund for bad weather. Then we did an afternoon walking tour with a gondola ride at the end just at dusk. We enjoyed both greatly.

You don't have to book a tour, once you see what is offered, you can decide whether to do it on your own or book it.

We did get a vaporetto pass for the 3 days we were in Venice post-cruise. It was great to ride as much as you wanted. We went to Murano and Lido, but alas with the wind and rain, the trips to Burano were cancelled. (Think a bus on the water), the mode of transportation in Venice.

Rialto Bridge, Bridge of Sighs, St. Lucia Train Station and the fairly new pedestrian bridge, Piazzale Roma, San Marco Piazza, The Bell Tower at San Marco are just a few of things we enjoyed while there.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruiser Willy, Venice indeed is a town which can be done by walking on your own if you just want to catch some of the atmosphere and view the fantastic facades, as I did myself during several visits. So far I would agree with some of the above.

But since I live in Venice myself now, I have discovered that on your own you will most likely neither find the really remote places nor the Venice of Venetians, where the real magic goes on. That of course is just my personal view.

To really get the most out of it I usually recommend both, visiting the main sights by your own (maybe with an audio guide), strolling around a bit on your own and hiring a real life guide for a day taking you off the beaten path. Otherwise you might just scratch the surface.

If you are in town several days you might consider visiting the islands in the lagoon, too, each showing up with their very own character. It definitely is worth a half-day to one day trip.

I've written a long entry on my blog with information for first time visitors (http://gintenreiter-photography.com/blog/venice-travel-tips). Reading your posts above, for an island tour I'd suggest to leave your kids sleeping, dropping your wife in Murano for intense glass shopping, and head on yourself to the beautiful islands of Burano an Torcello for some relaxed hours :))

I wish you a very nice stay in town and a wonderful cruise!

Thanks all for the great info. I have two and a half days in Venice before taking the train to Rome. I pretty much planned on "wandering" in Venice and the pictures and info shared here are wonderful.

My college kids will want to visit pubs.

Will your college kids be willing to drink wine instead of beer? If so, it's a very fun and Venetian thing to do to move from wine bar to bar drinking and eating little bar snacks called chicetti. If this sounds like the Venetian version of a tapas crawl, you're on the right track.

I was just curious about what sites MUST be seen while in Venice, and how best to see them. We don't mind RUNNING in order to cover alot of territory in a little time.

The appeal of Venice is in the over-all atmosphere rather than discrete sites. The LIST can actually be as short as two: the Doge's Palace and the Basilica San Marco. If you like art, consider visiting the Peggy Guggenheim Museum for contemporary art and for traditional art visit the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, a building whose walls and ceiling are covered with paintings by Tintoretto or visit Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari for art by a who's who of Venetian artists. If you want to see the huge variety of fish and seafood that ends up on your dinner plate, head early, early, early to the Rialto Fish Market. If you are interested in the place where the word "ghetto" first came into existence, head to the original in Cannaregio. Incidentally, this is a place that must be visited via a tour given by the Jewish authorities. (A commercial tour company can walk around the area but cannot take you inside the three synagogues). The tour is purchased in the Museum in the Ghetto.

I'll close by respectfully adding that Venice is not a place to run through. It's a place of small details like seeing how people conduct daily life with no cars and "streets" filled with water. It's a place to stop at the top of even the most anonymous bridge and see charming sights up and down the canal. It's a place to wander around with no particular destination and every confidence that your spirit of adventure will be rewarded. (NB: All comments apply to the area removed from San Marco!!! That's a place of tourist gridlock.)

Archived