pre-cruise hotel

silkman

If you decline the free one night pre-cruise hotel offer , will Oceania give you a credit for the un-used night?

It is not really FREE you have paid for it in the fare

as Mura stated there is a refund or credit

I did not think they were still offering that deal :confused:

They did offer it to us for our August 2012 Black Sea cruise, Lyn. But we declined it since we could get a very nice room for a lot less than $500!

Originally we were thinking of using O's air so we thought that we might accept the hotel room in Athens, but that became impossible so since we are doing our own air, we are also doing our own hotel.

Silkman, don't forget that the hotel packages provided by cruise lines are always severely overpriced. You do get a transfer to the ship included. And they are very nice hotels.

I checked the Athens hotel early on just to see what it would cost if we were booking it on our own, and it would have been about half the amount of O's credit. But they also had a very restrictive cancellation policy.

Mura

They did offer it to us for our August 2012 Black Sea cruise, Lyn. But we declined it since we could get a very nice room for a lot less than $500!

Originally we were thinking of using O's air so we thought that we might accept the hotel room in Athens, but that became impossible so since we are doing our own air, we are also doing our own hotel.

Silkman, don't forget that the hotel packages provided by cruise lines are always severely overpriced. You do get a transfer to the ship included. And they are very nice hotels.

I checked the Athens hotel early on just to see what it would cost if we were booking it on our own, and it would have been about half the amount of O's credit. But they also had a very restrictive cancellation policy.

Mura

The transfer to the ship is not included...That costs $198 , which we of course refused as we can do it for less.(plus we are not using the pre-cruise hotel)

Correct me if I am wrong, but taking the Oceania hotel price at $500 for two seems very high, but then deduct the fact that you can fly in a day early and NOT pay air-deviation and it seems doubling a $250 room to $500. . . . you should break even :rolleyes:

The transfer to the ship is not included...That costs $198 , which we of course refused as we can do it for less.(plus we are not using the pre-cruise hotel)

That's interesting. We were told one of the transfers WOULD be included! I forget which one, was thinking it was hotel to ship but it might have been airport to hotel.

We have never accepted a ship's paid transfer! The prices are as outrageous as the hotel costs. Last October we paid a private company something like €25 for the transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia ... MUCH less than what the ship would have charged.

I was surprised when the hotel (with one free transfer) was included with the Black Sea cruise because we'd been told months before that they had been of a very limited duration and were no more.

And yes, we were considering using the "free" hotel when we calculated the cost of a deviation in addition to one included transfer! But then we couldn't get an upgradeable economy fare because of Oceania's contract wth Delta, and so we used FF miles instead.

Mura

That's interesting. We were told one of the transfers WOULD be included! I forget which one, was thinking it was hotel to ship but it might have been airport to hotel.

We have never accepted a ship's paid transfer! The prices are as outrageous as the hotel costs. Last October we paid a private company something like €25 for the transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia ... MUCH less than what the ship would have charged.

I was surprised when the hotel (with one free transfer) was included with the Black Sea cruise because we'd been told months before that they had been of a very limited duration and were no more.

And yes, we were considering using the "free" hotel when we calculated the cost of a deviation in addition to one included transfer! But then we couldn't get an upgradeable economy fare because of Oceania's contract wth Delta, and so we used FF miles instead.

Mura

Do you happen to remember the name of the private transport to Civi for25 Euro?

My memory seems to have been a bit "off"!

In checking my records I see we used Rome Cabs (info@romecabs.com) for the transfer from the Airport to our hotel. Originally we were going to be able to share with 1-2 other couples but our flight time got changed so we were by ourselves. That fare was €55 but if we'd been able to share it would have been half that. (Their fare to Civitavecchia for 2 people is €130.)

We used Facile Taxi (info@faciletaxi.com) for the Rome-Civitavecchia transfer and that cost €140 for six of us in a very comfortable van. That broke down to a little less than €25pp. (For two people the price is €120 -- I just checked. So not quite €25!)

Both companies did an excellent job and I highly recommend them.

Mura

My memory seems to have been a bit "off"!

In checking my records I see we used Rome Cabs (info@romecabs.com) for the transfer from the Airport to our hotel. Originally we were going to be able to share with 1-2 other couples but our flight time got changed so we were by ourselves. That fare was €55 but if we'd been able to share it would have been half that. (Their fare to Civitavecchia for 2 people is €130.)

We used Facile Taxi (info@faciletaxi.com) for the Rome-Civitavecchia transfer and that cost €140 for six of us in a very comfortable van. That broke down to a little less than €25pp. (For two people the price is €120 -- I just checked. So not quite €25!)

Both companies did an excellent job and I highly recommend them.

Mura

Thanks much..I had been looking at Rome Cabs.

Archived