IF Carnival stops PV, what other ports available?

cdamion

If Carnival does decide to cancel Puerto Vallarta, what other Mexican Riviera ports are viable for a 7-day MR itinerary?

Cabo/Cabo/Cabo would suck.

Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada (which Princess did) would suck.

Catalina/Cabo/Cabo would suck

Are there other ports that would be considered safe enough for Carnival?

Acapulco is out due to crime.

Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo is out due to crime

Manzanillo? Not the most exciting port, but something different, but can it get there on a 7 day cruise? No crime issues are there?

Mazatlan? Looks like other lines are adding this port again, might Carnival?

La Paz? Isn't crime here ok? Pretty close to Cabo.

Any other options?

Unfortunately they seem alwaya add Ensenada which isn't a good substitute at all. I'd rather have an extra sea day.

Catalina island would be fun.

Catalina isn't bad, but the problem for me is that I've been there plenty.

Also the idea of Catalina as a port call on a cruise is that you can easily get there in less than an hour on any of the numerous boats from LA, Long Beach, and Orange County. Also, 3500+ extra people in Avalon would jam pack it.

Catalina isn't bad, but the problem for me is that I've been there plenty.

Also the idea of Catalina as a port call on a cruise is that you can easily get there in less than an hour on any of the numerous boats from LA, Long Beach, and Orange County. Also, 3500+ extra people in Avalon would jam pack it.

That's true, but it still beats Ensenada. I've been there on a cruise ship and thought it was fun.

For all of us West Coasters, it may not seem like a great idea, but for those who fly in, it offers something different. :)

All I know is,,if they pull out before I go they better add somewhere we can zipline without having to repel or my wife will throw me overboard.

And I pray it isn't Ensenada or Catalina because as a Los Angeles resident,,been there too many times.

And I am zip lining in Nogalito too and not on a sponserd tour. Gues I better make out a will.

I would really enjoy an extra sea day. I don't like porting. I like cruising. I wish they would do more and longer "cruises to nowhere" from San Diego or LA.

I very much enjoy ports. Hopefully we will still make PV on my upcoming Splendor cruise. If not we will still have fun. If we port in Catalina or Ensenada I will stay on board for the first time ever and enjoy the empty ship.

If they are done with PV without an interesting replacement, I am done with MR cruises. Not worth the cost at all.

I hope Carnival does not have a knee jerk reaction and cancel PV. Hopefully they will wait and see how the PV officials handle the situation and if they can prevent something similar from occurring in the future.

It is very frustrating that a group of thugs may end up costing PV millions of dollars in tourist money.

Since the Miracle will only be in California part of the year, I wonder if the Carnival Miracle will do 5/4 day cruises for the MR, when it isn't doing Hawaii?

The Miracle is taking over the Splendor itinerary, 7 day Cabo, Whatever, Whatever. Schedules are already out for 2013.

What happened in Zihaut????

Nothing, it' just got lumped into a travel warning because of it's location. From the recent 02/08/12 warning:

Guerrero: Acapulco, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo and Taxco are the major cities/travel destinations in Guerrero -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: You should defer non-essential travel to the northwestern and southern portions of the state (the area west and south of the town of Arcelia on the border with Estado de Mexico in the north and the town of Tlapa near the border with Oaxaca), except for the cities of Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Ixtapa. In those cities, you should exercise caution and stay within tourist areas. You should also exercise caution and travel only during daylight hours on highway 95D (cuota/toll road) between Mexico City and Acapulco and highway 200 between Acapulco and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. In Acapulco, defer non-essential travel to areas further than 2 blocks inland of the Costera Miguel Aleman Boulevard, which parallels the popular beach areas. In general, the popular tourist area of Diamante, just south of the city, has been less affected by violence. Flying into the coastal cities in southern Guerrero remains the preferred method of travel. You should also exercise caution in the northern region of Guerrero (the area north of the town of Arcelia on the border with Estado de Mexico in the north and the town of Tlapa near the border with Oaxaca). The state of Guerrero has seen an increase in violence among rival criminal organizations. Acapulco's murder rates increased dramatically since 2009; in response, the Government of Mexico has sent additional military and federal police to the state to assist State security forces in implementing operation “Guerrero Seguro” (Secure Guerrero) that focuses on combating organized crime and returning security to the environs of popular tourist areas.

I think where Zihaut lost out is that it is so far south, it takes too long to get there. I did the Spirit itinerary several times that included Zihaut and it was my favorite stop. That was an 8 day cruise, 2 days to Acapulco and 2 days back to San Diego from Manzanillo.

If Carnival does decide to cancel Puerto Vallarta, what other Mexican Riviera ports are viable for a 7-day MR itinerary?

Acapulco is out due to crime.

Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo is out due to crime

Manzanillo? Not the most exciting port, but something different, but can it get there on a 7 day cruise? No crime issues are there?

Mazatlan? Looks like other lines are adding this port again, might Carnival?

La Paz? Isn't crime here ok? Pretty close to Cabo

Any other options?

Sadly that's it for a MR cruise. Although other port options for the Splendor would be Catalina and Ensenad, the same ports the Inspiration calls on. That's the problem with the MR, not much options. IMO the days of MR cruises are very numbered.:(

My guess would be a cabo/cabo/la paz itinerary if PV does get pulled. But I can't imagine PV getting pulled over this one event, only if crimes like this continue.

Sadly that's it for a MR cruise. Although other port options for the Splendor would be Catalina and Ensenad, the same ports the Inspiration calls on. That's the problem with the MR, not much options. IMO the days of MR cruises are very numbered.:(

My guess would be a cabo/cabo/la paz itinerary if PV does get pulled. But I can't imagine PV getting pulled over this one event, only if crimes like this continue.

I agree, I think the days in the MR are numbered. We sailed the Splendor in 2010 and had a really nice time, loved Mazatlan and that is gone..My husband Is stationed at Camp Pendleton in San Diego so the MR is easy for us, and now Mexico is off limits to the Marines stationed in Ca. DH husband is finally retiring after 21 years in September and we are going to have a cruise celebration. We opted for the Carribean..

We love La Paz! We went there on a Spirit cruise last year. I would rather do one day Cabo, one day La Paz, and one day wherever else they decide to go if they have to make a change. Since it is so close to Cabo, it sure would help with Carnival's fuel costs.

I will take a wait-and-see attitude. Yes we Californians are not too thrilled about Catalina and Ensenada, but for others it might not be so bad. I'm just so sad to see the Splendor go....

We love La Paz! We went there on a Spirit cruise last year. I would rather do one day Cabo, one day La Paz, and one day wherever else they decide to go if they have to make a change. Since it is so close to Cabo, it sure would help with Carnival's fuel costs.

I will take a wait-and-see attitude. Yes we Californians are not too thrilled about Catalina and Ensenada, but for others it might not be so bad. I'm just so sad to see the Splendor go....

The thing about that is, it's not like those 2 ports are not offered. If "others" want to see Catalina/Ensenada then they will just book on the Inspiration. A 7 day cruise to Cat/Ens is a complete waste. I wouldn't mind La paz since we have never been there, also like you said it would benefit Carnival with the fuel costs since they will only continue to rise.

I think where Zihaut lost out is that it is so far south, it takes too long to get there. I did the Spirit itinerary several times that included Zihaut and it was my favorite stop. That was an 8 day cruise, 2 days to Acapulco and 2 days back to San Diego from Manzanillo.

Zihaut is my favorite port and have been there several times. My sis would go for weeks

When CCL wanted to build a pier in the bay and the town/Mexico said NO! is when things started to change.

CCL is still going to Manzanillo

Not much longer. Once the Spirit leaves for good, no other cruises are calling there as far as I know.

Wow that sucks and it looks like your right but they could do a 6day 8day rotation.

The Miracle is faster and better on fuel than the Splendor I think

That would give Socal still a decent cruise option

Archived