Hotel in San Padro

idee

I was looking at DoubleTree, they have a package, pick up LAX to hotel, than take to ship. Anyone used this?

I had read somewhere on here (posted in 06) that a taxie from LAX to San Padro was around $70.00. Then I wasn't sure how many people.

Other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I was looking at DoubleTree, they have a package, pick up LAX to hotel, than take to ship. Anyone used this?

I had read somewhere on here (posted in 06) that a taxie from LAX to San Padro was around $70.00. Then I wasn't sure how many people.

I have never used that option but we stay there with a park/stay package at the Doubletree. Another option is the Crown Plaza in San Pedro which is actually closer to the pier. Some passengers on our upcoming cruise from San Pedro used Priceline and were able to get rates of only about $70 which was a big discount.

I couldn't find the Princess embarkation port guides which included approximate prices from airports to the pier. There are also several shuttle services from LAX to San Pedro which maybe another option.

Thanks again. I will be cking on your suggestions. I just started researching this. This is our first cruise out of San Pedro. Trying to get a feel of the area.

I liked the looks of the Doubletree w/ balcony to watch the harbor. But will ck out the others.

We don't like to take shuttles with others and have to wait...hehe, we're in a hurry. LOL.

Thanks again. I will be cking on your suggestions. I just started researching this. This is our first cruise out of San Pedro. Trying to get a feel of the area.

I liked the looks of the Doubletree w/ balcony to watch the harbor. But will ck out the others.

We don't like to take shuttles with others and have to wait...hehe, we're in a hurry. LOL.

Hope you'll find the best option for your pre-cruise stay at a hotel.

We enjoyed the tranquility of a room at the Doubletree overlooking the small boat Harbor & as I recall you may be able to use their shuttle to go to places nearby to eat. The Crown Plaza is in downtown San Pedro so you can walk to some restaurants and stores. We enjoyed our stay at the Doubletree & have read comments from others who also enjoyed the Crown Plaza.

At the Doubletree you have to get your name on the list for the shuttle bus the next morning & do that early if you want to catch an early shuttle. After the cruise shuttles back to the hotel were crowded so we missed a couple of them before getting back to the hotel.

Its been 4 years but we took a taxi to the Double tree from LAX..it was about $50 plus tip.

We liked the Doubletree... good hotel overlooking the marina..a short walk to some reaturants/bars on a nearby pier. If I recall, the hotel had a free shuttle to the embarkation pier which was only minutes away.

We stayed at the Doubletree in January. The location is a scenic marina but remote, if you want to do anything off property. The staff are very cordial and accomodating. The restaurant was good, too. The room could have been better. It was small and worn. The desk chair had a large piece of leather ripped off the front, and the bathroom door was a pocket door that had some mold on it and didn't close properly or completely.

We rented a car from Enterprise (which is located at the Holdiay Inn) and returned the keys to the front desk...very easy.

The shuttle service to the pier was great and they ran two shuttles simultaneously. We signed up as soon as we checked in. With luggage, they were only taking 8-10 passengers, tops per trip.

We took a private shuttle to the hotel from LAX ($45 for the first passenger and $5 for each additional, which for us was $50) which included the tip, but we tipped extra as well.

We drove over to Long Beach which has a large entertainment complex, shops, restaurants, aquarium and harbour tours and whale watching tours. The Queen Mary is open for tours and the former home of the Spruce Goose is now the boarding facility for Carnival.

San Pedro museums and aquarium are closed on Monday, but there seems to be more to do on Thursday/Friday.

Some folks on our cruise also stayed at the Holiday Inn, and said they weren't wild about it, except for the location.

If you are just looking for a place to sleep, either hotel is ok, but if you are planning to spend more time there, check out what you want to do, first.

BTW, there is another Doubletree in Long Beach but it does NOT offer free shuttle service to San Pedro Pier, so make sure you book in San Pedro!

Prior to our sailing on the Golden to Hawaii, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Like the Doubletree, the rooms are slightly worn, but very clean. The Crowne is walking distance to the pier and neighboring restaurants. In the morning, we drove our bags over to the pier, dropped them off and then parked back at the hotel using their park and stay option. This worked very well because the shuttle buses are very packed and on the smallish side. The human que in the lobby was long. We were at the pier well before the second shuttle bus left the hotel. Also, we were able to watch the Golden sail in around 6:20am and then enjoy a buffet breakfast downstairs for a reasonable price. I would stay there again!

Prior to our sailing on the Golden to Hawaii, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Like the Doubletree, the rooms are slightly worn, but very clean. The Crowne is walking distance to the pier and neighboring restaurants. In the morning, we drove our bags over to the pier, dropped them off and then parked back at the hotel using their park and stay option. This worked very well because the shuttle buses are very packed and on the smallish side. The human que in the lobby was long. We were at the pier well before the second shuttle bus left the hotel. Also, we were able to watch the Golden sail in around 6:20am and then enjoy a buffet breakfast downstairs for a reasonable price. I would stay there again!

There were the same long lines at the Doubletree so my wife took me to the pier with the luggage, drove back for the free parking of our car & she took the shuttle later to meet me onboard. If I did it again, at the end of the cruise with the shuttles so full with people & luggage resulting in waiting to get on the shuttle, one of us would take the shuttle to the hotel to get our car & then return to the pier to pick up the other one & our luggage.

\This worked very well because the shuttle buses are very packed and on the smallish side. The human que in the lobby was long. quote]

Do you know there was a first come sign up for the shuttle?

At the Doubletree we got to the hotel about 3:00 the day before & immediately got on the list which already had many names on it. As I recall, check-in time was at 4:00 but if we do it again we would get there earlier to get on the shuttle list for an earlier shuttle to the pier which started around 10:30-ish?

It will be nice when the battleship USS Iowa is in San Pedro for touring. They hope to have it open by July 2012 & hopefully it won't be like my old carrier the Midway going to SD which was delayed years due to bureaucratic red tape. :(

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/

We sailed on the Golden Feb 1. Bid $65 and got a room at the Crowne Plaza. Arrived early the day before the cruise; called from the airport and they allowed early check-in. Walked to Ports of Call on the channel for lunch and sightseeing. Had a leisurely day; walked to Porky's (great little Bar-B-Que place)for "dinner". Stopped at the 7 Days convenience store for onboard goodies (they sell wind and beer too, and it's about a block away from the hotel). Prime Time Shuttle was $17 per person to the hotel. We got a group of 8 together on the Roll Call and got an exclusive van for return to the aiport - no waiting (we had an 11:15 flight) - $85 for 9 passengers. The shuttle from the hotel was first come... - there was no waiting. We got to the cruise terminal early and sat around there for at least an hour and a half.

But that was just our experience.

From LAX to San Pedro for a cruise, we always use Craig's limo town car. It is $55 dollars, and if you want them to meet and greet at baggage, add another $15. For us, we always elect the meet and greet, let them handle the baggage while we enjoy our vacation.

Here is a link to their website.

http://craigslimo.com/rates.html

Enjoy:):)

Archived