Disney Magic Self Service Laundry???

Terrence Richards

i was on the Wonder a few weeks ago, i expect the magic to be the same since they are sister ships. self service laundry is 1$ per load per wash, and $1 per load for drying. They also have vending machines for detergent and softener.

From http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guest-services/

Laundry Services

Take advantage of full-service laundry and dry cleaning, available with pickup from your stateroom for next-day return or sooner. 24-hour self-service laundry areas located on Deck 2, 6 and 7, Midship also provide coin-operated washers and dryers on the Disney Wonder and cashless washers and dryers on the Disney magic—along with detergent, fabric softener and ironing equipment.

Laundrettes are not free. Like PP said, they cost a couple bucks, total.

But they do have them. That's one of the reasons we like DCL. Many cruise-lines don't have laundrettes. [Did a 14-day Med with no laundrette. We had hand-washed clothes hanging everywhere.:D]

The use of the laundry costs a whole lot more than you might imagine.

Figure out how much your cruise costs you per waking hour, then figure out how much time you will spend in the laundry. That is how much your laundry will cost.

Then ask yourself if you really wanted to spend money on a cruise so that you could spend the time in the laundry. I can just as easily spend an hour at my local laundry without spending money on a cruise.

Putting this all together, giving the laundry to the ship services allows you to enjoy your vacation.

Figure out how much your cruise costs you per waking hour, then figure out how much time you will spend in the laundry. That is how much your laundry will cost.

Then ask yourself if you really wanted to spend money on a cruise so that you could spend the time in the laundry. I can just as easily spend an hour at my local laundry without spending money on a cruise.

Putting this all together, giving the laundry to the ship services allows you to enjoy your vacation.

Doing the laundry has been some of my most enjoyable time on the cruises. I take my book and go to the laundry room. I get to meet lots of people and have great conversations. I still trade emails with people that I met on the Disney Trans-Atlantic Cruise doing laundry together. Just because you are doing laundry does not mean the cruise has to end... enjoy the company of the people there.

We will be on a Disney ship, the Magic, for the first time this coming May 2012.

Are there free launderettes available for the guests? If so, on what decks are they?

Thanks for any assistance.

Terrence

There are self-serve laundries on deck 2 (across from room 2096); deck 6 (across from room 6588); and deck 7 (across from room 7590).

The machines use your KTTW (no cash). On the Magic the cost of the washers & dryers is $2.00 per load. You can purchase detergent and softener from a machine there for $1.00.

When you swipe your card, there is a bit of a delay for the information to transfer to the ships computer, so don't expect immediate action from the machine. The machine also have a timer, please be aware of the time and don't leave your things in them. There are only a few machines in each room. Each laundry room has an iron & and ironing board for guest use.

Biggest tip I can give you, don't try to utilize the laundry on formal/semi-formal nights! It can take up to an hour (or more) to get in just to press one shirt.

:)

Laundrettes are not free. Like PP said, they cost a couple bucks, total.

But they do have them. That's one of the reasons we like DCL. Many cruise-lines don't have laundrettes. [Did a 14-day Med with no laundrette. We had hand-washed clothes hanging everywhere.:D]

Thanks for the response.

As you can see from my list of past voyages, I am accustomed with Cunard ships that have free launderettes available on several decks. On the Queen Mary 2 there are four washers and dryers with two steam irons available in the launderettes. Detergent is provided.

I could not locate the launderettes on the deck plans of the Disney Magic, that is why I posted to question.

Terrence

Doing the laundry has been some of my most enjoyable time on the cruises. I take my book and go to the laundry room. I get to meet lots of people and have great conversations. I still trade emails with people that I met on the Disney Trans-Atlantic Cruise doing laundry together. Just because you are doing laundry does not mean the cruise has to end... enjoy the company of the people there.

Sorry, I think I'll wait up on deck to meet people when they are done with their laundry, or at the pool, or the bar, or.........nah, not down in the laundry.

I'm going to use your post as an excuse to get out of "laundry duty" with my DW when we get onboard the Fantasy this fall as we are doing B2B so definitely will need to do some laundry ...

... ah ... who am I kidding ... if she wants something done, I'm the "man" ... I'll guess I'll be seeing MikeAndNick down in the laundrette ;)

Once again, thanks to all of you for your responses.

I did not want to start a discussion on the pro and cons of doing laundry while on board a ship. All that depends on the amount of clothing one must pack to get through the entire voyage and the amount of money one can spend for the laundry service provided for a fee.

I have been on twenty-two cruises, all on Cunard ships, and have been able to do my own laundry in the free launderettes provided on all their ships. This was usually done after breakfast while at sea.

Terrence

Sorry, I think I'll wait up on deck to meet people when they are done with their laundry, or at the pool, or the bar, or.........nah, not down in the laundry.

It is a better class of people you will find in the laundry room. For some reason you cannot be stuck up and be doing the laundry... or scrubbing toilets.:eek:

I had a great time doing laundry on the TA too! I found that if I got up at 6am (which was really 7am as we were going westbound) then I could get there with all the machines free and get a head start before breakfast.

Regarding the earlier post as to why we bother, I wouldn't if I was on a 4 day cruise and probably wouldn't on a 7 day either, but both previous Disney cruises (12 day Med and 14 day TA) were longer. They are easy to use but the main bottleneck tended to be the driers.

OP, there are several laundry rooms on the Magic. I tend to use the one on deck 6(?) but there are I think one or two others as well.

I used the laundry on Deck 6. There is an equal number of washers and dryers, I think maybe 8 each? However the issue is that the dryers aren't very good. Even on the "high heat" setting I still had to run the cycle twice. Which is why there can be a back up waiting for dryers.

On a 7 day cruise we had to do laundry once because the kids ran out of clothes. I was up at 12:30 am waiting for the dryer. I'm not sure if I'd say it's a great place to make conversation, I guess to me I would characterize it as a shared sympathy that you are all there doing laundry at midnight when you could be having a drink, or sleeping, or whatnot.

I guess you meet all kinds of people in the laundry just like you do all over the ship. I had a conversation with a young mom (about 25 years old) who told me she had to do laundry because her 7 year old got a hair in her mouth and threw up all over herself and the table at dinner. She said the family they were sharing a table with were appalled. I guess she didn't really think it was because of the actual vomit. She said they were appalled because they are older, they were in their 40s and not used to dealing with younger children since their child was 9. And because they are from Canada, since it's really different up there and they have different customs. I found the whole conversation hilarious, because I am Canadian and around 40. I didn't tell her that part.

I used the laundry on Deck 6. There is an equal number of washers and dryers, I think maybe 8 each? However the issue is that the dryers aren't very good. Even on the "high heat" setting I still had to run the cycle twice. Which is why there can be a back up waiting for dryers.

On a 7 day cruise we had to do laundry once because the kids ran out of clothes. I was up at 12:30 am waiting for the dryer. I'm not sure if I'd say it's a great place to make conversation, I guess to me I would characterize it as a shared sympathy that you are all there doing laundry at midnight when you could be having a drink, or sleeping, or whatnot.

I guess you meet all kinds of people in the laundry just like you do all over the ship. I had a conversation with a young mom (about 25 years old) who told me she had to do laundry because her 7 year old got a hair in her mouth and threw up all over herself and the table at dinner. She said the family they were sharing a table with were appalled. I guess she didn't really think it was because of the actual vomit. She said they were appalled because they are older, they were in their 40s and not used to dealing with younger children since their child was 9. And because they are from Canada, since it's really different up there and they have different customs. I found the whole conversation hilarious, because I am Canadian and around 40. I didn't tell her that part.

Different eh ? ;)

Apparently that's not the case with all laundry rooms. From our Cruise Critic UK sister site:

We’ve heard of deck chair hogging rage and smoking rage… but is laundry rage the new rage?

At busy times, people queue up for the very small number of machines, eyeing one another suspiciously. You can’t just dump your bag of washing and make that count as ‘holding your place’ in the line. And heaven forbid you’re not there the minute your machine finishes. As
on the Cruise Critic forums: “Most people seem to get angry when a machine has finished and no one is there to empty it. If there is a line up of people waiting to use them, someone
will
take your clothes out and throw them on the floor.”

Laundry rage can even lead to fisticuffs....

Read the rest here:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/?p=5181

Archived