Can now pre-reserve restaurants on the jewel

Diamond60

I'm on the Sky on 4-2 and just got an email today to reserve at the 3 specialty restaurants.

Thanks so much! Have you make final payment yet?

We make final payment on March 21, so I would think I can book after Final Payment?

This is great news.

On RCCL you can also prebook spa appointments. Does NCL have this option yet?

Thanks again Shelly for letting me know about the Sky. I really appreciate it.

I received an email today for the Spirit sailingthis Sunday saying I could book dining now. Trouble is, when you go to the designated page it shows "0 choices available at this time". Huh?

Will keep an eye on it throughout the week in case the webmaster wakes up.

Last time we sailed there was a rep in the VIP lounge making reservations, so if the online option poops out, I guess we can do it then.

You're right, our beloved NCL does not get a gold star in consistency.

We have sailed many, many NCL ships. Never had an issue getting into any surcharge restaurant we wanted. The only exception is Teppanyaki. They just have such limited seating you must get a reservation with them. We actually don't even make reservations for the other restaurants anymore. We walk up when we want to and have gotten right in everytime.

They recently changed the conditions on reservations. Unless you cancel a full 24 hours before your reserved time, you lose the surcharge. Ridiculous in my opinion. Simple solution, either don't make a reservation or do it last minute. We have never had an issue. The surcharge restaurants are not nearly as busy as they want you to believe.

I just pre-booked our Le Bistro dinner on the Sky. We didn't have a problem getting a table last time but with this pre-booking I'm afraid that might change. We already knew which day on the cruise we wanted to eat there so this worked out great for us.

For cruises beyond 45 days, you have to call NCL to pre-book your reservations. Yes, I was very excited to book my reservations yesterday. But when I called back to reserve another, they got an error message. I think the system was overloaded with people making reservations to avoid being left out or long lines later.

It seems that booking dining without the benefit of a) not knowing what is being served in the MDR, and b) not having the Freestyle Daily to know if there is a specific activity that you don't want to miss, is going to be less than easy.

Additionally...this is another thing where pre-payment is required. By the time we're done with all of the pre-paying, there will be nothing left to spend OBC on. This is just going to make OBC a less valuable incentive for some people.

What NCL needs to do...especially with the Excursions, Dining, and Entertainment, is to let people who pre-book use their applicable OBC to pay for it.

Well seashark we don't agree on much. But this time I am right there with you on this.

These are the exact points I brought up months ago when NCL rep came on these boards and stated that this was going fleet wide.

I just hope once it's in for a while that there are still most times open to book once on board for those that do not want designated dining times pre-arranged and still want the freestyle feel of waiting until the day you wish to book after you've seen the MDR and your dailes for that day.

I can understand where SeaSh.. and che....is coming from. But I do it for the convenience of time and not worrying about my account being charged with things I know I want to do anyway. It's nice to leave the ship stress-free, with a pocket full of money and all your bills paid. Great feeling!

I can understand where SeaSh.. and che....is coming from. But I do it for the convenience of time and not worrying about my account being charged with things I know I want to do anyway. It's nice to leave the ship stress-free, with a pocket full of money and all your bills paid. Great feeling!

Oh I like that part too but for that you have two other options without cutting into that freestyle feel. I used my CC to check in but then went and put so much cash (in travelers checks) down when I got on board. I had $3.21 that NCL gave me back before I left the ship. Friends of ours just purchased refundable OBC before they left, they came away with something like having to pay $20.

So you can still have that "great feeling" upon leaving the ship.

My biggest problem is, are there going to be available times for us who choose to wait. I'm assuming we will get the unpopular times. I don't mind making a reservation the morning I want it, I like that because it gave everyone a level playing field except those who booked suites who paid for the privelege of booking ahead. I don't even know at home what I feel like for dinner until at least noon and after. That is one of the reasons I choose NCL is because I don't have to schedule ahead, don't have to know ahead (early or late). I can choose to eat at any of their 16-20 dining options and not have to plan weeks in advance.

They had a good thing going (freestyle), so much so that all the other lines picked up the concept (my time dining, any time dining), and now they are going backwards. Plan and pay everything ahead, excursions, meals. It's just too bad.

Che... I hope my personal decisions don't have a profound effect on your's or anyone elses cruise experience. But I'm a plan ahead person and always have been. It is not my intention on diminishing the freestyle concept by any means. I definitely understand where you're coming from. But we all have to do whats best for us without hurting anyone in the process.

Che... I hope my personal decisions don't have a profound effect on your's or anyone elses cruise experience. But I'm a plan ahead person and always have been. It is not my intention on diminishing the freestyle concept by any means. I definitely understand where you're coming from. But we all have to do whats best for us without hurting anyone in the process.

Hey you aren't a policy maker for NCL (or at least I'm guessing that). So by all means if that is what they are putting in place, enjoy it. I certainly wouldn't be blaming any other passengers for choosing to book ahead if they like that option and want to run with it.

My only wish would be that NCL keep 25% of bookings of all things like shows/specialty dining etc for those who would like to do this once on board. I know that is a pipe dream and won't happen, but it would be nice to think that they could.

As stated above this was told to CC that it was going fleet wide, months ago, so it came as no surprise when it was implemented. A few of us voiced our opinions at that time. Obviously either the option to book ahead was more popular with their guests or they didn't care. Either way we had our say, they decided this was the way to go. So people like me do have options: We can either accept it as is because it is not a make or break of our vacation. Or we can choose another vacation if it is. For me I don't think it would be a make or break issue, just an inconvenience.

But it is in place and nothing anyone can do about it now. So all those that like this option, great. What to heck, when I get rich and famous and purchase my own cruise line I can make my own policies then ;) :D

Food for thought

I've read a few threads that state that NCL has offered discounts on certain days for specialty restaurants in their dailies. So if you have to cancel 24 hours in advance you would not get the benefit of that discount with booking ahead?

I'm assuming they offer this when they don't figure that that particular restaurant is selling well enough for that day. Hmmmm I wonder if the ones that book ahead will be eligible for the discount since they have already booked. I highly doubt it.

Oooooh I can see a lot of angry upcoming threads in my crystal ball :eek: :D

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

We just recently announced that guests now have the opportunity to pre-book their reservations before they cruise. With the introduction of a fleet-wide dining reservations system, guests cruising within 45 days on any Norwegian ship can plan and pre-pay for their specialty dining choices in advance by visiting http://www.ncl.com/myncl.

Happy Cruising!

Best Regards,

Norwegian Public Relations

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

We just recently announced that guests now have the opportunity to pre-book their reservations before they cruise. With the introduction of a fleet-wide dining reservations system, guests cruising within 45 days on any Norwegian ship can plan and pre-pay for their specialty dining choices in advance by visiting www.ncl.com/myncl.

Happy Cruising!

Best Regards,

Norwegian Public Relations

Yay! Thanks, NCL for providing the information first hand!

Thanks NCL, love to see you pop in every now and then to verify and/or correct information. Even if it isn't something I personally wanted to hear. :(

I love that about NCL that they care enough to monitor a site that their passengers frequent. Keep up the good customer service. :)

Rhanks NCL for straight information

FYI. I called today since the web link referred me to the call center, to book our platinum freebie meals in le bistro. Was told these can only be done on board. No biggie and I understand why they would do it but thought I would save some of you a phone cal

Enjoy!

Food for thought

I've read a few threads that state that NCL has offered discounts on certain days for specialty restaurants in their dailies. So if you have to cancel 24 hours in advance you would not get the benefit of that discount with booking ahead?

I'm assuming they offer this when they don't figure that that particular restaurant is selling well enough for that day. Hmmmm I wonder if the ones that book ahead will be eligible for the discount since they have already booked. I highly doubt it.

Oooooh I can see a lot of angry upcoming threads in my crystal ball :eek: :D

I think that is a good point and something to consider. I just may wait to book reservations when I get on the ship at the end of March, just in case discounts are offered. I doubt you would be elegible if you pre-booked, also.

I think that is a good point and something to consider. I just may wait to book reservations when I get on the ship at the end of March, just in case discounts are offered. I doubt you would be elegible if you pre-booked, also.

Well I really wasn't trying to discourage anyone from booking ahead. Nor have I seen personally any discounts in our dailies. But I have read on CC by posters that a few sailings have had them. Whether it's true or not I can't speak to.

But I just noticed it was mentioned on another thread and it got me thinking.

Well I really wasn't trying to discourage anyone from booking ahead. Nor have I seen personally any discounts in our dailies. But I have read on CC by posters that a few sailings have had them. Whether it's true or not I can't speak to.

But I just noticed it was mentioned on another thread and it got me thinking.

I actually heard that prior to your post about possible discounts on certain nights. From what I understand it doesn't appear that people have difficulty making reservations or just showing up for up-charge restaurants, with the exception of Teppyanyaki. We might just take our chances. My DD and husband are currently on the Gem. I will ask them if discounts were offered for any nights on their sailing.

Archived