Can now pre-reserve restaurants on the jewel

Diamond60

I am also concerned about pre-booking Dining reservations. I am a suites Passenger and the Concierge always took care of the Reservations once I was aboard. I could change my mind and have the Concierge change it to another Resturant. So now my perk is Cagneys for Breakfast and Lunch and early Disembaring. So will the Concierge hold back some Dining times for the Suites. I agree with NCL that it will be alot easier for most people to know when they will dine but it does take away from the Free Style concept.:cool:

I am also concerned about pre-booking Dining reservations. I am a suites Passenger and the Concierge always took care of the Reservations once I was aboard. I could change my mind and have the Concierge change it to another Resturant. So now my perk is Cagneys for Breakfast and Lunch and early Disembaring. So will the Concierge hold back some Dining times for the Suites. I agree with NCL that it will be alot easier for most people to know when they will dine but it does take away from the Free Style concept.:cool:

I am sure the concierge will still take care of everyone the same way they have before. They always leave some of the prime reservation spots open for those in suites.

We have done numerous cruises with NCL and only eat in the specialty restaurants and have never needed or see the reason to have to pre book let alone be charged in advance. We are also non suite passengers.

The worse that's happened is that I've had to move the resy 1/2 hour ahead or behind.

Reserve restaurant and prepay. Wouldn't this mean the charge would go on your credit card when prebooking rather than using OBC if you wait until you board ship to book?

On the Epic you could previously reserve specialty restaurants in advance of sailing and payment was not required at time of reservation. OBC could then be used to pay once you were on board and the charge for dining actually went on your account. Seems to me this is same change as in prebooking excursions and I don't like it very much.

What I would really like is for OBC to be applied in advance to advance booking of excursions and restaurants.

Reserve restaurant and prepay. Wouldn't this mean the charge would go on your credit card when prebooking rather than using OBC if you wait until you board ship to book?

On the Epic you could previously reserve specialty restaurants in advance of sailing and payment was not required at time of reservation. OBC could then be used to pay once you were on board and the charge for dining actually went on your account. Seems to me this is same change as in prebooking excursions and I don't like it very much.

What I would really like is for OBC to be applied in advance to advance booking of excursions and restaurants.

Policy changed several weeks back. You are now charged at the time of booking.

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

We just recently announced that guests now have the opportunity to pre-book their reservations before they cruise. With the introduction of a fleet-wide dining reservations system, guests cruising within 45 days on any Norwegian ship can plan and pre-pay for their specialty dining choices in advance by visiting http://www.ncl.com/myncl.

Happy Cruising!

Best Regards,

Norwegian Public Relations

Thank you. As a frequent RCCL cruiser that jumped ship to try a quick Sky getaway and just booked the Breakaway I am happy to have the option of booking my speciality restaurants beforehand. It is one less thing I have to think about or run to do once I board the ship.

Do you think that spa appointments will be able to be prebooked in the future? How about wine plans or soda cards? The more I can prepay, the better.

It is wondeful having these items that can run up costs prepaid before getting on the ship and not feeling stressed that I have to run here/there or split up with my dh/family to get exactly what I want for a specific date.

Thank you. As a frequent RCCL cruiser that jumped ship to try a quick Sky getaway and just booked the Breakaway I am happy to have the option of booking my speciality restaurants beforehand. It is one less thing I have to think about or run to do once I board the ship.

Do you think that spa appointments will be able to be prebooked in the future? How about wine plans or soda cards? The more I can prepay, the better.

It is wondeful having these items that can run up costs prepaid before getting on the ship and not feeling stressed that I have to run here/there or split up with my dh/family to get exactly what I want for a specific date.

I have already pre-paid the sodas, restaurants, and excursions. Can be done. I plans ahead. Enjoy your cruise!

I made my dinner reservations today for Cagney's, La Cucina and Le Bistro on the Gem April 1st sailing, did not have to prepay. But I do have some OBC. Thinking that is the difference.

It does appear that people on this sailing are taking advantage of the pre-booking option as the earliest dining times on several nights were already unavailable. The earliest reservation available on sea days was 8:30PM for Le Bistro. Either that or they are holding some earlier times back for on board reservations.

I made my dinner reservations today for Cagney's, La Cucina and Le Bistro on the Gem April 1st sailing, did not have to prepay. But I do have some OBC. Thinking that is the difference.

It does appear that people on this sailing are taking advantage of the pre-booking option as the earliest dining times on several nights were already unavailable. The earliest reservation available on sea days was 8:30PM for Le Bistro. Either that or they are holding some earlier times back for on board reservations.

I have $150 OBC and still had to supply a Credit Card number to make my reservation on the STAR 4/15 cruise for Moderno.........hopefully the restaurant is up and running before our cruise....or I'll have to wait for the $40 credit card refund to be processed.

I have $150 OBC and still had to supply a Credit Card number to make my reservation on the STAR 4/15 cruise for Moderno.........hopefully the restaurant is up and running before our cruise....or I'll have to wait for the $40 credit card refund to be processed.

Well, so much for theories :D

Just booked 7:15pm for tepanyaki and 7 pm at lebistro for april cruise. I'm in a sute but still wanted these reseaturants on sea days. I had to pay when booking. My concern is this will cause a problem when tryng to book on board...

Still looking for a common denominator as to why prepaid or not.

So facts about my booking:

I booked through a TA, in June 2011

I'm in a CAT SF suite

I have $200 OBC - $150 from NCL, $50 from TA

April 1st Sailing aboard the Gem NYC-FL and Bahamas

I am Latitudes Bronze.

Reservations were not charged in advance, no CC required.

Reservations were added to my e-docs.

Or is it just an inconsistent new booking system?

Just booked 7:15pm for tepanyaki and 7 pm at lebistro for april cruise. I'm in a sute but still wanted these reseaturants on sea days. I had to pay when booking. My concern is this will cause a problem when tryng to book on board...

Why do you think there would be a problem? You have the days and times that you wanted, right? If you need to switch, just talk to your concierge.

Still looking for a common denominator as to why prepaid or not.

So facts about my booking:

I booked through a TA, in June 2011

I'm in a CAT SF suite

I have $200 OBC - $150 from NCL, $50 from TA

April 1st Sailing aboard the Gem NYC-FL and Bahamas

I am Latitudes Bronze.

Reservations were not charged in advance, no CC required.

Reservations were added to my e-docs.

Or is it just an inconsistent new booking system?

I booked directly with NCL, using an awsome PCC... booked at least 18 mos ago.

We're only in a balcony for this cruise

I have $150 OBC from various NCL promotions

April 15th sailing on the STAR

I have been Platinum for several years

Required a CC to reserve, and reservations were added to my e-docs and confirmations were emailed.

Why do you think there would be a problem? You have the days and times that you wanted, right? If you need to switch, just talk to your concierge.

There will be a problem if everyone books online and there are no reservations left! I am nott really concerned because im in a suite, but others may have a problen...

Tapanyaki, probably but from my understanding even if everyone booked on board, it is more difficult to get a spot. Le Bistro, not necessarily it may or may not be an issue to get the time someone may wish to dine, depending on how well received booking ahead is.

Only time will tell how this will play out.

Let me know when you launch. I will book an aft suite.

Is it possible NCL is putting a number, let's say half of the specialty dining on reservation in advance? I can't imagine they would book 100% and have nothing available for suite pax and late bookers.

It is my understanding that not all excurions are sold in advance, that some are held for on-board sales.

For myself, personally, and I book suites I see the need to secure a res for Teppenyaki and Moderno. If the others are full I can order. To re eive in my suite.

When I first read this I could see the benefit of people celebrating a special event on board being able to know they can reserve that special time and place in advance and not have to worry.

I predict a good amount of switching reservations once pax board.

Hey you aren't a policy maker for NCL (or at least I'm guessing that). So by all means if that is what they are putting in place, enjoy it. I certainly wouldn't be blaming any other passengers for choosing to book ahead if they like that option and want to run with it.

My only wish would be that NCL keep 25% of bookings of all things like shows/specialty dining etc for those who would like to do this once on board. I know that is a pipe dream and won't happen, but it would be nice to think that they could.

As stated above this was told to CC that it was going fleet wide, months ago, so it came as no surprise when it was implemented. A few of us voiced our opinions at that time. Obviously either the option to book ahead was more popular with their guests or they didn't care. Either way we had our say, they decided this was the way to go. So people like me do have options: We can either accept it as is because it is not a make or break of our vacation. Or we can choose another vacation if it is. For me I don't think it would be a make or break issue, just an inconvenience.

But it is in place and nothing anyone can do about it now. So all those that like this option, great. What to heck, when I get rich and famous and purchase my own cruise line I can make my own policies then ;) :D

I am nott really concerned because im in a suite, but others may have a problen...

Still a problem, a suite doesn't guarantee you a reservation.

It USED to allow you to book in advance when others could only book 24 hours in advance.

If all venues are booked solid prior to the trip, the only way you can get a table is last min. when someone is a no show or cancels.

Still a problem, a suite doesn't guarantee you a reservation.

It USED to allow you to book in advance when others could only book 24 hours in advance.

If all venues are booked solid prior to the trip, the only way you can get a table is last min. when someone is a no show or cancels.

I know- we were "bounced" from out teppanyaki reseravtion from a large roudy group with big bucks 2 years ago. Our concierge apologized profusely and gave us a free reservation at another restaurant. I'm a planner and at this point I am giving our concierge the list of times for the entire week on night one. I dont want any nonsense or suprises when paying suite prices!

I know- we were "bounced" from out teppanyaki reseravtion from a large roudy group with big bucks 2 years ago. Our concierge apologized profusely and gave us a free reservation at another restaurant. I'm a planner and at this point I am giving our concierge the list of times for the entire week on night one. I dont want any nonsense or suprises when paying suite prices!

HOLD UP, you are in contact with your concierge already? Im leaving in just over a month, I have no names or contact info! Do tell, please!

HOLD UP, you are in contact with your concierge already? Im leaving in just over a month, I have no names or contact info! Do tell, please!

No- that was our last "suite" experience 2 years ago.

I'm a planner and at this point I am giving our concierge the list of times for the entire week on night one. I dont want any nonsense or suprises when paying suite prices!

I plan on doing the same thing, in a few weeks, when we meet the concierge at check-in.

I don't want to risk not getting a seat at Moderno and Teppanyaki.

I'm not booking online b/c we have $500 obc that I'm planning on using for dinners and excursions.

I was on the Jewel in October and we really wanted to go to Teppanyaki. We were VIP's, and were invited to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch every day. If you want a nice time at Teppanyaki, my advise for everyone is to book the 5:30 on a port day. We were the only people in the entire restaurant! All of the servers and chefs were tending to our every whim. Our 4 year old daughter felt like a princess and we felt like the King and Queen. It was one of the highlights of our cruise! She still talks about it 6 months later.:D

Archived