Split

ClaudiaF

Hey Claudia,

I guess my information from July 1977 (on a private road trip) is a bit too old to help! But I WILL say that we hired a guide at the main square who gave us a fabulous tour. I still remember it well. I wish I had the name of the agency but back then I didn't even have a laptop.

No idea, of course, as to how easy it is to get to the central area from the port since we had a car.

But we really enjoyed Split when we were there ... of course, the whole area has changed since then.

Mura

I think Split is certainly a port you can do on your own. The most important sight is Diocletian's Palace which is about a ten or fifteen minute walk from the pier. You can walk through this on your own or hire a local guide.

Okay..now I need some expert advice on Split. Keep reading about Trogir..too..any thoughts.. esp. want to know about private tours or on own. ( thanx)

I suggest you go to the Other Med Ports message board and search for both Split and Trogir. Trogir is a little medieval jewel, worthwhile if you love medieval buildings. Depends on your interests and your time in port.

I read there is a free Diocletionsl Palace Tour from the metal model of town on river promenade they meet 13.00 to 18.00 Mon to Saturday. And that Trojir was worth a visit too. We will be there 11th August so will be glad to see your review cheers

We were there in July 2011 on an Azamara cruise & did a ship's tour to Trogir in the morning.The guide was very good giving a commentary on the country,the way of life etc on the drive there.Then after a guided tour of the main sights in Trogir we had free time for about 30-45mins .It was really lovely & much prefered it to Split , most probably because it was cooler & less crowded and in someways untouched with narrow alleyways ,no cars & a lot of original stone buildings. Split is very easy to do on our own as the ship is docked in easy walking distance of the Dioletians Palace. Spilt is also a very busy ferry port for the outlying islands & it was great fun watching the comings & goings of the cars & people. We also enjoyed walking around a small market very close to the dock. I really enjoyed Split, but was delighted by Trogir its not to be missed

Archived