Legend Under the Bridge?

hollster8

I'm a cruise newbie (only sailed once) and a Carnival virgin :rolleyes:. My family and I are sailing on the Legend this Thanksgiving so I've been perusing the boards, naturally.

I keep seeing people talking about going under the bridge while leaving the Tampa port, and I'm not sure what they're talking about. What is this? What makes it so exciting? I'm *very* curious. It sounds like quite the show, whatever it is!

it is the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

People talk about it because as you go under it, it really looks like the whale tale of the ship is going to crash into the bridge. as you pass under it, visually it looks like you have only a foot or two of clearance, although, i'm sure it's probably more like 20-50 feet, i have no measuremnts, so if someone knows, please share, but it sure does look close. it's very cool and usually the captain or the CD will make some announcement that they are nearing the bridge so you can go up to the top deck and watch. if i recall correctly, you near the bridge a couple of hours after you leave the port.

It is really so cool to go up to the highest deck and watch as you pass under the bridge. It is also a great photo op. You get great photos as you approach the bridge as well. Yes, about 2 hours after sailaway. We always took the early seating for dinner, so we were always in the dining room and never saw it from deck, this time we had Anytime dining, so we went to dinner after we passed under the bridge.

We did the Legend last dec. The bridge is all lit up when you go under it. It does appear to be very close to the whale tail. As pp stated, it is about 2-2.5 hrs after sailaway. You need to be on the highest deck to get a good view/ pic opportunity. It was awesome.

Cool! I'm glad I asked. We have the later dinner assignment, does that mean we'll miss it? I would change to anytime (especially since we'll have DD with us who will be 18 months) but we're going for a family reunion so I don't think that would go over well to opt out of the "family dinners". :)

The Sunshine Skyway bridge is a highlight of the cruise. You will pass under it about 2hrs after departure, but sailing in November it will be dark out when you reach it. Returning it will also be dark. If you have early dining it starts just as you pass the bridge. Many people skip the MDR and eat at the buffett so they can see the bridge.

100_0050.jpg.aab01ab2431880923b9aef1392d01ed6.jpg

I guess it is worth seeing once. Kind of "been there, done that" type of experience for me. But warning: When we did it we were on the same deck as the whale's tail and as you go under the bridge the captain blows the horn a few times. Very very loud. So if you loud horns or noises bother you, dont go to the top deck.

Enjoy your cruise. The Legend is a great ship.

My sister and I are going on the Legend in September and I really want to see this but we have early dinner so I have to decide if its worth it being late for dinner but there is always the buffet even though I love the dining room experience.....

We were scheduled for Mexico a couple years back when the swine flu broke out. RCCL changed our trip to the north and we went to San Francisco. Going under the Golden Gate was a tremendous experience. There were people stopped on the bridge as the ship passed under. A great time

It is very cool. Go up on the highest deck you can toward the front and you will get some great views of the tail before and after the ship goes under. It's about 2 hours after sailaway so you'll be good with late seating. Last time, there was a cop up on the bridge waving to us!

Archived