Suggestions In Booking A Sold Out Cruise

chellekell

We have a small group booked on the Freedom sailing on March 10th, 2012....only 10 days from now. A friend had things in her life "line up" that she decided to join us spontaneously. She decided in an evening this week and till morning there were no longer cabins available. We're assuming it is impossible for her to join us now, but I thought I'd put it to the wonderful people on Cruise Critic for suggestions. Is it possible that people cancel at such a late date and cabins open? We have had our travel agent try to no avail also. Please feel free to email me at chellekell@hotmail.com

I was also going to suggest the possibility of a 3 or 4 person cabin. You might be able to bump out somebody where there is only 2 people in a 4 person if there is something for them to switch to. Or, if someone in your party is in a cabin that will fit more.

This same situation just happened to my parents on our last cruise in November. Their TA waited too long to book them and the trip sold out!! The problem was it was my DH & my 10 year anniversary and we were renewing our vows on the cruise with our Dads officiating... he HAD to be there!!

What we ended up doing was putting in a "wait list" deposit with two different Carnival PVP's it made it so my parent's name was on the wait list twice and we had two different agents working on our behalf. We also watched the Carnival site for openings which just appear without notice. The "wait list" won't guarantee them the next available cabin if there PVP doesn't see it and snatch it up for them so it can fall between the cracks. Then we just cancelled our wait list with the PVP that did not get us a cabin and the money was refunded.

We FINALLY got them on board with less than a week before we sailed.

So don't give up, it is possible but stressful (for sure).

We do have a cabin that she could be added to as the 3rd person. My agent has tried, but Carnival claims it's only a 2 person cabin and won't budge. Any way around this?

On newr ships like the Freedom, you cannot add rollaways or such beyond the designated capacity of the cabin.

You might have some luck bumping someone who is booked 2 PAX in a 3 or 4 PAX Cabin, especially if that Cabin is equal or lower Category than yours (so they'd be moving them to same or higher category) - your TA or PVP would have to explore this with Carnival.

ken

We have a small group booked on the Freedom sailing on March 10th, 2012....only 10 days from now. A friend had things in her life "line up" that she decided to join us spontaneously. She decided in an evening this week and till morning there were no longer cabins available. We're assuming it is impossible for her to join us now, but I thought I'd put it to the wonderful people on Cruise Critic for suggestions. Is it possible that people cancel at such a late date and cabins open? We have had our travel agent try to no avail also. Please feel free to email me at chellekell@hotmail.com

Have her call a aPvP. They always find rooms that dont show on the main booking page.

Problem is at this point they are showing NO cabins available. No possibility of going up a category. Keep the ideas coming everyone. All your help is greatly appreciated!!

Um, pray? As a lapsed Catholic, I'd tell you that since the cruise is in 10 days, you have just enough time for a 9-day novena. :D

On a more down-to-earth note, those who've said to get on the waiting list, and check availability several times a day, are spot on. I've seen cabins open up in the final week due to cancellations.

Good luck!

Problem is at this point they are showing NO cabins available. No possibility of going up a category. Keep the ideas coming everyone. All your help is greatly appreciated!!

Did you try a PvP yet? Web page may show none available but last year I called my PvP adnd they got me a 4j when the online booking thing said there were none.

I would have my PVP watching for any cancellations. Pro active, not waiting for someone to contact you.

You too can watch and pretend to book, which is the only way to grab a last minute cabin.

Firefly is correct.

My PVP got us on a sold out cruise on Tuesday...it left on Thursday because someone cancelled.

There will be someone who will cancel this sailing!! Definetly put your name on a waitlist.. and keep checking. I know I had to cancel in January with only 4 days prior to sailing.. someone booked my cabin! Ship sailed full!! Btw.. your on my sailing 3/10/12! If you haven't joined our roll call please do!

Sue

We were going with some friends on a cruise last week, the morning that we were leaving......they CANCELLED! (The husband had the flu.) So you may even find out the day of that there is a cancellation, tell your friend to have bags packed and ready to go in an instant! Good luck.

I have a FB group & one of our members posted this!

Hello,

ALABOARD on our thread posted this in our FB group!

We are booked on the Carnival Freedom leaving from Port Everglades on March 10, 2012 but one of us cant go now. I can do a name change for $650. Is anyone interested in bringing another person? This is a GREAT price and the person would get the cabin to themself! we are losing money on this but single rate is RIDICULOUS!! I hope someone out there snags this up. If you are a platinum card holder, i will also throw in some drink coupons for saving us from having to stand in line. Thanks! See you onboard :-)

Just reply here & she will be checking to see if anyone wants this cabin! It's a sweet deal! Inside cabin with 2 bunks all to yourself!

Sue

I also gave them your post with your email address! Hope you connect!

This same situation just happened to my parents on our last cruise in November. Their TA waited too long to book them and the trip sold out!! The problem was it was my DH & my 10 year anniversary and we were renewing our vows on the cruise with our Dads officiating... he HAD to be there!!

What we ended up doing was putting in a "wait list" deposit with two different Carnival PVP's it made it so my parent's name was on the wait list twice and we had two different agents working on our behalf. We also watched the Carnival site for openings which just appear without notice. The "wait list" won't guarantee them the next available cabin if there PVP doesn't see it and snatch it up for them so it can fall between the cracks. Then we just cancelled our wait list with the PVP that did not get us a cabin and the money was refunded.

Which renewal package did you use on the ship and was it worth it. We are doing it in Nov.,2012 on the Fascination. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

.... and yes, I know I changed the subject but not much else on CC from someone that already did it, so please do not be mad. I need to know.

We FINALLY got them on board with less than a week before we sailed.

So don't give up, it is possible but stressful (for sure).

Cruisegirl, you'd better postr a bump or something to get that post count off of what it is now! :eek: ;) :D

Not sure what you mean?? Confused...

I've passed along the info to the person looking to fill the cabin. Hopefully they will connect...

Sue

Thanks Sue so much! You have been an awesome help. Disappointed,though, that the person who had the open cabin and I didn't connect soon enough. She'd already done a name change. Just putting it out there if there's an open cabin (or bunk:)) for one person please contact me at chellekell@hotmail.com. I realize time's just about run out.

Not sure what you mean?? Confused...

I've passed along the info to the person looking to fill the cabin. Hopefully they will connect...

Sue

LOL . . . probably was referring to your post count being at 666 at that time. :D

I would hit as many online sites as I can . . . I have a bunch of them.:D Frequently when a ship is shown as SOLD OUT by Carnival, other travel agents that buy or reserve blocks of cabins for a particular cruise still have some UNSOLD.

I hope you put this out to your roll call. I am in the opposite situation on the sailing on the 17th. We had someone cancel in our suite and had to each fork out $260 to keep the cabin. I would love to have someone looking :D If you are willing to have the friend bunk in your cabin on your couch, maybe someone in a cabin that can hold 3 could add them "on paper" to their cabin. We do this all the time when we have a big group sailing with us. Works especially well when someone has 2 children and can only snag a cabin for 3. Someone else adds their child to their booking, gets a cabin for 3 but in reality only has 2 people in it, the child stays with the parents.

Archived