Alaska.... For the Gents

sail7seas

Do most of the men wear jeans on their tours in Alaska?

They are heavy to pack and dry slow so I'm not sure that is what I want to pack for DH. I know we can send them out to the laundry (included in the price of our cabin) but it could take a day or two for them to bring them back.

Thanks for suggestions what the 'guys' wear. :

It generally only takes 1 day for laundry...send them today, get it back tomorrow! You're right, tho...jeans are quite heavy to pack, if weight is any issue at all. Thinner materials, with perhaps, longjohns, would be quite warm (if it's that cold!) and certainly would weigh less!

You'll see lots of men in jeans, Sail. I've finally converted my DH to a couple of pairs of lightweight nylon pants (REI, Cabellas, The North Face) in addition to one pair of jeans. He is now a big fan of them -- lightweight, easy to pack, easy to wash, quick drying. They can be layered over a light base layer/long johns if the weather is chilly. And my DH does NOT adopt any kind of "new-fangled" clothing easily :)

We lived in jeans on our two Alaska cruises. Wear one pair of jeans onto the ship. Pack another pair and rotate them.

You'll see lots of men in jeans, Sail. I've finally converted my DH to a couple of pairs of lightweight nylon pants (REI, Cabellas, The North Face) in addition to one pair of jeans. He is now a big fan of them -- lightweight, easy to pack, easy to wash, quick drying. They can be layered over a light base layer/long johns if the weather is chilly. And my DH does NOT adopt any kind of "new-fangled" clothing easily :)

He never flies in jeans, nor do I, so they have to be packed. If he has two pair, I'll be able to 'juggle' sending the laundry out. We walk regularly for exercise at home and he has a collection of nylon blend walking pants. I think I'll bring one of them as they are lightweight, dry quickly and pack easily.

I ordered him long johns from wintersilks.com this week (he doesn't know yet) and I suspect he'll thank me for them.

I also was looking at REI and saw some pants but that is why I came here to ask. I couldn't decide which would be more comfortable and warm enough yet not too warm if the temperature goes up while he's out and busy for the day.

Thanks. :)

Judy, do check the weather before you go. The summer (June) we were there they had a weather alert. It was 90 degrees in every port for the two weeks we were there. I had a pair of shorts for the gym and wore them a lot. While this was very unusual, you never know. The only place it was cool was up on the glaciers where I wore a fleece and hat and gloves.

Archived