"What sank the Titanic"

e150club

Bruce Ismay was not the captain. He was the White Star lines Chairman and the captains boss who supposedly ordered the captain to forget about the icebergs and go full speed ahead.

After the disaster, Ismay was savaged by both the American and the British press for deserting the ship while women and children were still on board. Some papers called him the "Coward Of The Titanic" or "J. Brute Ismay" and suggested that the White Star flag be changed to a yellow liver. Some ran negative cartoons depicting him deserting the ship.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO tallyho8: First, Captain Smith was warned about the iceberg. Second, he sped up to get past the danger. In 1912 that was a common thing to do about danger. Get away from it as fast as you are able.

Third, many of the lifeboats went down not full. If you saw a lifeboat going down and you thought you could get in I'm sure you would too.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO tallyho8: First, Captain Smith was warned about the iceberg. Second, he sped up to get past the danger. In 1912 that was a common thing to do about danger. Get away from it as fast as you are able.

Third, many of the lifeboats went down not full. If you saw a lifeboat going down and you thought you could get in I'm sure you would too.

By your comments I see that you think it was OK for Captain Schettino to abandon the Concordia. I think many on this forum would disagree with you.

The decendents of Mr. Ismay objected BIG TIME to the portrayal of him in the movie. They claim he never gave the captain any instructions to speed up or to ignore the iceburg warnings.

Most of us would object if our relatives were portrayed in an unfavorable view in a movie but that wouldn't make us right. Witnesses on both sides made claims of whether he did or didn't, but with the captain dead there is only one person who can tell their own side of the story.

By your comments I see that you think it was OK for Captain Schettino to abandon the Concordia. I think many on this forum would disagree with you.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO tallyho8: It is the Captain's duty to stay with the ship until all persons passengers and crewmen are accounted for. He is the commander of the ship. Everyone's life is his responsibility.

The decendents of Mr. Ismay objected BIG TIME to the portrayal of him in the movie. They claim he never gave the captain any instructions to speed up or to ignore the iceburg warnings.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO jwalk03: Captain Smith got a telegraph from another ship warning of an iceberg. In 1912 it was common when hearing of a potential danger to speed up to get past the potential danger. Captain Smith did not do anything unusual. He was not going for the Blue Riband or any other prize. This was supposed to be his last cruise before he retired. He was a very experienced seaman.

I saw a documentary a few years ago on the History channel. The ship hit the iceberg. However, they discovered that the rivets used to build the ship were cheap and froze up in the freezing water. When they hit the iceberg, the ship broke in half. This is because all of the rivets/bolts snapped and caused the ship to break in half. If the steel used was a much better quality than what was used, the rivets wouldn't have snapped so the ship wouldn't have broken in half, saving many more people. It all boiled down to saving money.

Archived