Norwegian Epic - penalising solo passengers?

April_2000

She is welcoming to those not in a studio as it should be. However, I thought she did a terrible job in general. Her predecessor, Natalie, did a far superior job.

I wouldn't say that Sol did a terrible job but I will agree that Natalie was a much better hostess.

the more the merrier!!

When i went to meet people in the studio lounge i could have cared less who was in a studio vs a balcony room.

The only time one needs to be in the studio lounge is 5:15-6:37.

And guess what, sometimes people would knock on the glass door! Oh my!!

And guess what i did, i opened it and said "hello, and smiled"

then sometimes the people would even talk with us and even eat dinner!!!

To the original poster, you will be more than welcome in the gathering at 5:30 everyday.

Other than that it is empty.

Everyone here saying that balcony people shouldn't have access is overreacting.

I encourage you to keep your balcony and show up at the lounge 5:18 everyday.

I met a great group of people and am still in contact with them.

:) ** applause ** :)

Which drinks are included in the studio lounge happy hour? I heard wines and beers were - could I get cocktails?

Our cabin was right around the corner from the studios so we peeked in one day and saw the bar/lounge/living room area. It looked like a regular bar and a bartender was working so I assume you can get whatever you want.

Just to be clear -- I do think you have to pay for your drinks, right?

The speciality coffee machine is free and usual other complementary drinks. although at the daily meet up (5:30) Happy hour = 2 4 1 drinks from the bar. I think that excludes beer and wine though... I'll soon find out.

The speciality coffee machine is free and usual other complementary drinks. although at the daily meet up (5:30) Happy hour = 2 4 1 drinks from the bar. I think that excludes beer and wine though... I'll soon find out.

They haven't done the two for one drinks for quite a while now in the Studio Lounge, unfortunately. It is a full bar setup. Beer, wine, cocktails. (with very generous pours on the liquor) :D

Our cabin was right around the corner from the studios so we peeked in one day and saw the bar/lounge/living room area. It looked like a regular bar and a bartender was working so I assume you can get whatever you want.

Just to be clear -- I do think you have to pay for your drinks, right?

Phewf Linda thanks for clarifying that, I was just about to say I was starting to feel penalized for not traveling solo to get free booze. ;) :D

They haven't done the two for one drinks for quite a while now in the Studio Lounge, unfortunately. It is a full bar setup. Beer, wine, cocktails. (with very generous pours on the liquor) :D

Oh well - cocktail of the day then... I know someone in the studios got 241's on EPIC back in January, so maybe its just certain cruises??? They definately had 2 4 1 in the med last year (on our cruise anyhow!)

I'm starting to think its only certain 'speciality cruises' getting the deals now, ours was the last med cruise of the season and there were loads of offers all over the ship, and it was early january my friend cruised i believe, so potentially their deal may have been tied into new year or something :(

I am travelling on the Epic on 25 April 2012 and I emailed NCL just to check that it would be OK for me, as a solo passenger, to use the solo's studio lounge for the early evening get togethers etc. and the reply was,

"Unfortunately the studio lounge is only for the passengers with studio cabins, you will not too able to access it."

It seems really odd that NCL is penalising solos who have booked a more expensive class of stateroom (in my case a balcony stateroom) for their cruise. It's as if they are encouraging folk to spend less money (and book a studio stateroom) in order to receive the perks of the solos lounge/activities.

I booked the balcony because I liked the idea of having the private outdoor space to sit, but I am still cruising solo, and on my very first cruise too. I thought the solos lounge would be a good place to meet other solos.

After emailing NCL again to say I was very discouraged by this, I haven't even received a response. I'm really disappointed by this poor customer service and am now re-considering booking the Caribbean route on the Epic for Winter 2012.

:(

Avril

I was on the Epic in October for 20 days. For the 7 days Western Med I was in a Studio and the 13 day TA I was in a balcony. I was able to attend the solo gathering every day! While in a Studio I had 24 hour access to the Studio Living Room and while in a balcony only for the Solo gathering. Every Freestyle daily had the following entry "Solo Travelers Gathering in the Living Room". On the Western Med. it was from 6 - 7 pm and on the TA it was from 5:30 - 6:30 pm. The CD crew member (Natalie) and the bartender (Joyce) came in only for the Solo Gathering.

John

Don't fret, you won't have a hard time finding other solo people. There are other events and ways to do it without infringing on one of the benefits of getting such a cramped suite. And you can always write in advance of your trip and request to host a solo's lunch or happy hour.

And if there is an LGBT/FOD meetup on board, go to those! You don't have to be one to enjoy them. They'll know who on board is solo and they're a fun/spirited group of people! I met a lot of great people that way on my last cruise, and they were both straight and gay!

I think it is really really funny that most of those who think that the studio lounge should only be for studios are NOT single/solo cruisers LOL

some even have pictures of couples in their sig/double names

IMHO whichever cruise line really addresses the needs of single/solo travelers will get their business

NCL has attempted this with the "studio" concept...but it would be nice if they extended it to those with a balcony etc or at least made the policy more clear

Having a hosted singles event there nightly is another good idea

Frankly the "freestyle" dining is NOT that great for solos/singles...unless they can meet up with others

On other cruise lines that offer "traditional" dining singles and solos can request to be seated with other singles.....and most maitre d's make every effort to do this in advance anyhow

The "whiteboard" in the "lounge" area is a great idea

To the OP : have a great cruise, hopefully you can meet up with others in the lounge, and sit with them at dinner. JMO talk with the solos "host/hostess" and try to get dinner times with the other singles....have fun

I think it is really really funny that most of those who think that the studio lounge should only be for studios are NOT single/solo cruisers LOL

some even have pictures of couples in their sig/double names

Actually, I am one of a couple. But I'm a solo cruiser - please note that "solo" is NOT synonymous with "single." My husband doesn't like to travel as much as I do, so when he's not available, I go alone. And I am much more likely to travel on the Epic because of the solo studios, and the lounge.

It is often true that those who purchase a higher "category" of something get all the rights of the lower categories plus some. But not always. In this case, those in a "lower" inside studio category get something that those in higher categories don't get.

No one is being penalized. Each knows what he or she is buying. You just don't necessarily get everything you want.

Actually, I am one of a couple. But I'm a solo cruiser - please note that "solo" is NOT synonymous with "single." My husband doesn't like to travel as much as I do, so when he's not available, I go alone. And I am much more likely to travel on the Epic because of the solo studios, and the lounge.

It is often true that those who purchase a higher "category" of something get all the rights of the lower categories plus some. But not always. In this case, those in a "lower" inside studio category get something that those in higher categories don't get.

No one is being penalized. Each knows what he or she is buying. You just don't necessarily get everything you want.

I completely agree. Wish there was a thanks button! :)

NCL has attempted this with the "studio" concept...but it would be nice if they extended it to those with a balcony etc or at least made the policy more clear

Frankly the "freestyle" dining is NOT that great for solos/singles...unless they can meet up with others

On other cruise lines that offer "traditional" dining singles and solos can request to be seated with other singles.....and most maitre d's make every effort to do this in advance anyhow

The "whiteboard" in the "lounge" area is a great idea

I often travel solo and I definitely think that the studio should be for studio passengers only. I really feel uncomfortable with the idea of the whole ship basically having access to the area, but at least I have the option to skip the living room and the events altogether.

I'm sure different people travel for different reasons, but if I wanted to be forced to eat with others I'd travel another cruise line or visit a school cafeteria. Freestyle dining was what brought both DH and myself to Norwegian and as an oft solo traveler I hope it stays this way. Traveling solo doesn't mean being lonely. While not everyone does, some people really do enjoy being by themselves. :)

• 1 month later...

Just updating on my original post to say I had a blast on my cruise and had no problem accessing the studio lounge even though I was in a balcony cabin (thanks NCL!) Once it was known that I was travelling solo the NCL crew were great. It was fun to meet so many folks also travelling solo and to have such fun company to see shows with and dine alongside. Can't wait until next time!! :)

Avril

Just updating on my original post to say I had a blast on my cruise and had no problem accessing the studio lounge even though I was in a balcony cabin (thanks NCL!) Once it was known that I was travelling solo the NCL crew were great. It was fun to meet so many folks also travelling solo and to have such fun company to see shows with and dine alongside. Can't wait until next time!! :)

Avril

Glad you have a great time! Thanks for coming back and telling us how your experience went.

I booked a Solo Studio for my cruise in December and the Studio Lounge and limited access to the Studios was my main reason why. The Studios are NOT cheap. In reality, I could probably book a nicer stateroom, pay the single supplement and still pay less. I'm paying for the controlled access to the rooms, and the perks of access to the Studio Lounge. It will be a nice, quiet place for me to go and read or check my email. I love the idea of the daily gathering and the white board. I'm perfectly comfortable dining alone, but to do that for a week would get old -- so I'm looking forward to meeting some new people for conversation, hanging out, going to shows, excursions, etc. I like the idea of having our own bartender as well. So many times a single woman in a bar, on her own, is viewed as solely being there in search of a hookup. I think that this environment will be much more relaxing if I just want to enjoy a cocktail.

If the same perks were extended to passengers from all staterooms, my incentive for booking a Solo Studio would be greatly decreased.

I booked a Solo Studio for my cruise in December and the Studio Lounge and limited access to the Studios was my main reason why. The Studios are NOT cheap. In reality, I could probably book a nicer stateroom, pay the single supplement and still pay less. I'm paying for the controlled access to the rooms, and the perks of access to the Studio Lounge. It will be a nice, quiet place for me to go and read or check my email. I love the idea of the daily gathering and the white board. I'm perfectly comfortable dining alone, but to do that for a week would get old -- so I'm looking forward to meeting some new people for conversation, hanging out, going to shows, excursions, etc. I like the idea of having our own bartender as well. So many times a single woman in a bar, on her own, is viewed as solely being there in search of a hookup. I think that this environment will be much more relaxing if I just want to enjoy a cocktail.

If the same perks were extended to passengers from all staterooms, my incentive for booking a Solo Studio would be greatly decreased.

Your totally right here. The studio is also open to ALL solo passengers during the 5:30 meet up, but often the other passengers not in studios don't realise it is on despite it being in the freestyle daily. I would also pay the inflated price for the lounge, totally worth it for nice coffee and quiet space in my opinion. Yes, I prefer the lounge to remain for studio guests only, its what I would pay extra for.

Archived