Norwegian Epic - penalising solo passengers?

April_2000

The more the merrier!!

When I went to meet people in the Studio lounge I could have cared less who was in a studio vs a balcony room.

The only time one needs to be in the studio lounge is 5:15-6:37.

To the original poster, you will be more than welcome in the gathering at 5:30 everyday.

Other than that it is empty.

Everyone here saying that balcony people shouldn't have access is overreacting.

OP, if you're still checking this thread, you've probably noticed that there are a lot of people who've never been in a studio telling you what solo travelers in studios should want. And there are about a half dozen of us, including Howard and me, who've stayed in studios and know what the situation is.

So I'll tell you, ignore all those people who tell you can't go in the crew area and can't go on their balcony, so you can't visit the studios during the solo get-together. You are not only invited--you are welcome--to come in during the studio open house for solo travelers. You'll notice we haven't heard from any studio travelers who've told you to stay away.

Please visit the studio during the open hours. The cruise director's rep, currently Sol, will welcome you along with the rest of us. And you'll be welcome at the dinners, lunch and ice bar session that Sol sets up.

Please listen to those who know and not those who don't, including some NCL phone bank person.

The more the merrier!!

When I went to meet people in the Studio lounge I could have cared less who was in a studio vs a balcony room.

The only time one needs to be in the studio lounge is 5:15-6:37.

And guess what, sometimes people would knock on the glass door! Oh my!!

And guess what I did, I opened it and said "Hello, and smiled"

Then sometimes the people would even talk with us and even eat dinner!!!

To the original poster, you will be more than welcome in the gathering at 5:30 everyday.

Other than that it is empty.

Everyone here saying that balcony people shouldn't have access is overreacting.

I encourage you to keep your balcony and show up at the lounge 5:18 everyday.

I met a great group of people and am still in contact with them.

OP, if you're still checking this thread, you've probably noticed that there are a lot of people who've never been in a studio telling you what solo travelers in studios should want. And there are about a half dozen of us, including Howard and me, who've stayed in studios and know what the situation is.

So I'll tell you, ignore all those people who tell you can't go in the crew area and can't go on their balcony, so you can't visit the studios during the solo get-together. You are not only invited--you are welcome--to come in during the studio open house for solo travelers. You'll notice we haven't heard from any studio travelers who've told you to stay away.

Please visit the studio during the open hours. The cruise director's rep, currently Sol, will welcome you along with the rest of us. And you'll be welcome at the dinners, lunch and ice bar session that Sol sets up.

Please listen to those who know and not those who don't, including some NCL phone bank person.

Actually if you read the original post you will see it was NCL that told the OP that she was not eligible to go to the studio lounge. Others for the most part were trying to explain why NCL would designate that as studio only the majority of the time. The get together as explained was like any other get together that the ship itself puts on "solo get together" "friends of whoever" and it just happened to be held in the studio lounge and was open to solo cruisers and would make the most sense to be held in that particular venue. I'm sure the references to private balconies, havens etc was just a way to show the OP some places are designated only and not done to give bad customer service or to penalize anyone.

No I haven't been on the Epic or in a solo cabin. But neither have I been in a Haven designated cabin only. That doesn't mean I don't understand the concept. Gee I've never been to a Legion meeting either but I can understand how that may not be open to me either.

The bottom line is the OP got better information here than the 1-800-NCL-EPIC number she dialed with someone on the other end who was never likely on the EPIC. Kudos to this board for alleviation of stress. The OP can now stay on the Epic and not worry about being excluded from the gathering.

Also, Sol is an excellent host and was gracious to the Stray Dogs.

The bottom line is the OP got better information here than the 1-800-NCL-EPIC number she dialed with someone on the other end who was never likely on the EPIC. Kudos to this board for alleviation of stress. The OP can now stay on the Epic and not worry about being excluded from the gathering.

Also, Sol is an excellent host and was gracious to the Stray Dogs.

Another vote for Sol as an excellent host ... coming from a single pax who was not in a studio. She made me feel very welcome when I showed up during happy hour a few times:D.

OP, have a great cruise and enjoy the lounge. The ship is fantastic!

sorry, but this appears to be part of the "take care of ME" society we have become.

The crew lounge is reserved for the crew.

The officer lounge is reserved for the officers.

The haven lounge/courtyard is reserved for those designated guests.

The Studio lounge is reserved for those booked in a studio.

Sure it would be nice if it was available for solo travelers. It is not. Why someone would call this bad customer service is beyond me.

But I believe I deserve to use the Haven, even though I am in a balcony....

I am just as good as those people but I happen to be in another part of the ship....

;)

I, too, have traveled in an Epic studio twice, and will again next year. I pay the higher studio price for the minuscule room because I enjoy the amenity of the studio lounge and the limited access. I'd love to enjoy the Haven, but itS not the cabin and amenities I've paid for....many others have made clearer, more succinct points than I have, but just wanted to add my two cents....

The bottom line is the OP got better information here than the 1-800-NCL-EPIC number she dialed with someone on the other end who was never likely on the EPIC. Kudos to this board for alleviation of stress.

Hear hear! (I contacted the UK office though not the US one. Maybe the UK staff have less knowledge than the US ones?)

Thanks again to all for your points of view. As long as I can attend the get togethers in the studio lounge I'm happy. :)

Avril

Hear hear! (I contacted the UK office though not the US one. Maybe the UK staff have less knowledge than the US ones?)

Thanks again to all for your points of view. As long as I can attend the get togethers in the studio lounge I'm happy. :)

Avril

They are probably just as much landlubbers as their US counterparts.;)

Can someone tell me what happens when you book shore excursions with NCL please? Can you pay for them as you book, or do you pay for them onboard?

I'd like to plan my itinerary and book and pay for all shore excursions as I book them so I don't have a huge bill onboard.

Many Thanks.

Can someone tell me what happens when you book shore excursions with NCL please? Can you pay for them as you book, or do you pay for them onboard?

I'd like to plan my itinerary and book and pay for all shore excursions as I book them so I don't have a huge bill onboard.

Many Thanks.

This would be called hijacking the thread.

It's frowned upon.

But you can book your excursions online before sailing. Enjoy.

How about just get out there and talking to people. There are thousands who want to mingle with others whether they are solo or not. Everyone is there for fun (or at least should be). A large company must keep some rules as they are set otherwise you would have complete chaos with everyone thinking they are more important or special than the next. If I choose to book a smaller room I do not fault NCL for not allowing me in to Posh or Haven area. Same if I book a regular room I will not feel penalized for not being allowed in to the studio lounge.

How about just get out there and talking to people. There are thousands who want to mingle with others whether they are solo or not.

I agree and much easier to meet people who have the same interests as you. If you love trivia, go to the trivia games and meet others with that interest. Join in, in CD activities. Hop in the hottub, if thats your thing. Friends of our met some people in the hottub (solos and couples) that they all ended up spending the rest of the cruise with and staying in touch after. Chit chat with people on your roll call, you may find people that enjoy the same things that you can hook up with once on board.

The only thing you have in common in the studio get together is you are traveling alone, not a lot of common interest there.

Does it really matter if that person is traveling solo that they find another solo to eat with. Many couples will also invite you to join them for a meal if you find you hit it off in other places on the ship.

I'm just hoping that the OP is not setting herself up for a disappointment. Since this is ship organized, it could be pulled anytime. For example if it is not popular, they may not run it on the sail she is on.

This would be called hijacking the thread.

It's frowned upon.

But you can book your excursions online before sailing. Enjoy.

Ooops. Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread.

Still, it'll stop all the handbags at dawn over the Singles (Solos) Lounge.............................:)

I agree and much easier to meet people who have the same interests as you. If you love trivia, go to the trivia games and meet others with that interest. Join in, in CD activities. Hop in the hottub, if thats your thing. Friends of our met some people in the hottub (solos and couples) that they all ended up spending the rest of the cruise with and staying in touch after. Chit chat with people on your roll call, you may find people that enjoy the same things that you can hook up with once on board.

The only thing you have in common in the studio get together is you are traveling alone, not a lot of common interest there.

Does it really matter if that person is traveling solo that they find another solo to eat with. Many couples will also invite you to join them for a meal if you find you hit it off in other places on the ship.

I'm just hoping that the OP is not setting herself up for a disappointment. Since this is ship organized, it could be pulled anytime. For example if it is not popular, they may not run it on the sail she is on.

I had to read that over again.................................;)

Many Thanks.

I paid for them ahead of time, it did keep my onboard bill down.

Be careful of the sea & see in nassau. the bus tour ended up dumping us off a t a straw market for 45 minutes while the bus left.

i am sailing single/solo on the epic in a studio cabin and i would love ALL single or solo cruisers to come to the lounge for the 530 get togethers no matter what cabin they are in. just sayin !!

They are invited as long as this "activity" does not change.

There are only 2 reasons I could see the CD wll quit organizing it and that would be either because it wasn't popular, which the one poster pointed at on their sail there was a bout 50-60 people or because studio passengers complained.

As long as it stays well attended I'm sure it will continue.

I paid for them ahead of time, it did keep my onboard bill down.

Be careful of the sea & see in nassau. the bus tour ended up dumping us off a t a straw market for 45 minutes while the bus left.

I don't plan on being anywhere near Nassau on a Meditteranean cruise. :)

I don't plan on being anywhere near Nassau on a Meditteranean cruise. :)

If you end up in Nassau on a Med Cruise. I seriously think you would have bigger worries than an hour at a straw market :eek: :D :D

Hi Guys

Wow that was lively!

My friend has also decided to go on this cruise and has also booked a solo as the price of 2 connecting solos v 1 double inside cabin for the both of us was the same. We decided on the 2 solos so we had 2 bathrooms and the "perk" of the lounge and could keep the adjoining door between the cabins open as she's a nervous traveller.

As such Im not realy traveling "solo" but still looking forward to the 5:30s to meet others who are and share their experiences of previous solo travels as its something I hope to be doing a lot more of in the future.

Heres to the cookies and hot choccie!:)

Another vote for Sol as an excellent host ... coming from a single pax who was not in a studio. She made me feel very welcome when I showed up during happy hour a few times:D.

OP, have a great cruise and enjoy the lounge. The ship is fantastic!

She is welcoming to those not in a studio as it should be. However, I thought she did a terrible job in general. Her predecessor, Natalie, did a far superior job.

Archived