Norwegian Epic - penalising solo passengers?

April_2000

I am travelling on the Epic on 25 April 2012 and I emailed NCL just to check that it would be OK for me, as a solo passenger, to use the solo's studio lounge for the early evening get togethers etc. and the reply was,

"Unfortunately the studio lounge is only for the passengers with studio cabins, you will not too able to access it."

It seems really odd that NCL is penalising solos who have booked a more expensive class of stateroom (in my case a balcony stateroom) for their cruise. It's as if they are encouraging folk to spend less money (and book a studio stateroom) in order to receive the perks of the solos lounge/activities.

I booked the balcony because I liked the idea of having the private outdoor space to sit, but I am still cruising solo, and on my very first cruise too. I thought the solos lounge would be a good place to meet other solos.

After emailing NCL again to say I was very discouraged by this, I haven't even received a response. I'm really disappointed by this poor customer service and am now re-considering booking the Caribbean route on the Epic for Winter 2012.

:(

Avril

So cabins with single people in their balcony, oceanview, suite etc are also being penalized?

I think you gave the answer right in your post

"Unfortunately the studio lounge is only for the passengers with studio cabins, you will not too able to access it."

"I thought the solos lounge would be a good place to meet other solos."

It's the "studio lounge" for studio cabins, just like the haven suites are for haven cabins. It's not the "solos lounge".

Correct me if I am wrong, but I know that someone wrote about their experience on the Epic. Similar scenario.

When he/she got on the ship they went right to Guest Services and explained the situation. I believe they were able to give the person a key to the Studio Lounge so they could meet other people traveling solo.

Thanks for your comments Che, but the point I am trying to make is that the concept of the lounge (whether you call it the 'studio lounge' or the 'solos lounge' or even the 'living room') is that it's a meeting place for passengers who are crusing solo.

There may be passengers who are not cruising solo who have booked into in the studios (for example a party of folks who are travelling together but wished to book individual cabins for more space). These folk would likely not require to use the lounge because they already have other folks to mix and mingle with.

The whole idea of such a meeting place, with organised early evening get togethers, is to make solo passengers feel more at home and less isolated. In which case why is the perk not available to all solo passengers and not just studio occupants, some of which may not be solo travellers?

cheers

Avril

Thanks for your response Smiley. This gives me hope that it may just have been one unhelpful member of NCL staff who answered my query. I will certainly speak to guest services onboard and hopefully they will be more enlightened. :)

cheers

Avril

The Studio's are not for solo's, they actually are for up to two people and several/many have posted here about using them as a couple. To small for me, but many do it. They do have a function on board for singles and that is the appropriate place to meet others. The concept here, as posted by someone else, is this is a place for the studio guests to hang out, not a singles lounge.

Can't have it both ways, either balcony or studio, not half and half. Sorry.:eek:

I am travelling on the Epic on 25 April 2012 and I emailed NCL just to check that it would be OK for me, as a solo passenger, to use the solo's studio lounge for the early evening get togethers etc. and the reply was,

It seems really odd that NCL is penalising solos who have booked a more expensive class of stateroom (in my case a balcony stateroom) for their cruise. It's as if they are encouraging folk to spend less money (and book a studio stateroom) in order to receive the perks of the solos lounge/activities.

I booked the balcony because I liked the idea of having the private outdoor space to sit, but I am still cruising solo, and on my very first cruise too. I thought the solos lounge would be a good place to meet other solos.

After emailing NCL again to say I was very discouraged by this, I haven't even received a response. I'm really disappointed by this poor customer service and am now re-considering booking the Caribbean route on the Epic for Winter 2012.

Avril

Im not a NCL cheerleader - but I can't agree with you on this. The lounge is specifically for the use of those in the studio cabins - regardless of what "class" of cabin you booked :rolleyes:

What you were told is absolutely not true. I've sailed in a studio room three times now with the latest being six weeks ago. Yes, the studio lounge is a perk for travelers in the studio cabins to use 24 hours a day. However, the solo travelers gathering is in the lounge at 5:30 each day and all solo travelers regardless of class of stateroom are welcome DURING THAT TIME ONLY. The gathering is even published in the daily events paper.

On my last cruise the glass door entrance to the lounge on deck 11 was open at 5:30. If it isn't merely knock.

So, there you go. The solo gathering is a fun way to meet other solo travelers. Have fun.

What you were told is absolutely not true. I've sailed in a studio room three times now with the latest being six weeks ago. Yes, the studio lounge is a perk for travelers in the studio cabins to use 24 hours a day. However, the solo travelers gathering is in the lounge at 5:30 each day and all solo travelers regardless of class of stateroom are welcome DURING THAT TIME ONLY. The gathering is even published in the daily events paper.

On my last cruise the glass door entrance to the lounge on deck 11 was open at 5:30. If it isn't merely knock.

So, there you go. The solo gathering is a fun way to meet other solo travelers. Have fun.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that what she was told is absolutely not true. Since you state yourself they do no have access except to attend a function put on there daily. Which is what rvSullivan stated "They do have a function on board for singles". I'm assuming these get togethers are not something set down by NCL company (where her info came from) but by those on board that arrange activities like the cruise director staff.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that what she was told is absolutely not true. Since you state yourself they do no have access except to attend a function put on there daily. Which is what rvSullivan stated "They do have a function on board for singles". I'm assuming these get togethers are not something set down by NCL company (where her info came from) but by those on board that arrange activities like the cruise director staff.

Edited by Colin.

sorry, but this appears to be part of the "take care of ME" society we have become.

The crew lounge is reserved for the crew.

The officer lounge is reserved for the officers.

The haven lounge/courtyard is reserved for those designated guests.

The Studio lounge is reserved for those booked in a studio.

Sure it would be nice if it was available for solo travelers. It is not. Why someone would call this bad customer service is beyond me.

The studio lounge door will be propped open daily from 530 to 630pm.meet up with some studio guests,sign up for the various gatherings on the easel board in the lounge.in my experience on the epic 3 times(only once in the studio)people can request access at guest services but I rarely used the lounge except for the gathering.the many entrances to the studios were often left open anyway.

sorry, but this appears to be part of the "take care of ME" society we have become.

The crew lounge is reserved for the crew.

The officer lounge is reserved for the officers.

The haven lounge/courtyard is reserved for those designated guests.

The Studio lounge is reserved for those booked in a studio.

Sure it would be nice if it was available for solo travelers. It is not. Why someone would call this bad customer service is beyond me.

Your post is just far too sensible...

That's why I like it.

So tired of people trying to tell NCL how to run their cruiseline.

The studio lounge was originally called the "living room," which reflects its other purpose - a space for people staying in 100-square-foot cabins to sit, relax, read, etc. The only place to sit in a studio is the bed. I'm sure NCL's thinking was that a lounge would make the studios more attractive and win over potential passengers fearing claustrophobia. Your cabin has a private balcony plus a sitting area.

The 5:30 get-togethers were originally just for studio passengers, but I've read other posts as well confirming that they are now open to all solo travelers. So that should address your main concern about meeting and planning with other singles.

A staff member oversees those get-togethers. If the unstaffed lounge was open to all solos all the time, it would be difficult to manage who actually goes in there and could get crowded.

Frankly, as a solo - not single - traveler, the lounge appeals to me as a "living room" and would be less appealing as a "singles bar."

I think NCL created the best of both worlds by opening up the get-togethers and restricting the space the rest of the time.

I'm confused, but mainly because I have never been on Epic...

As I see it, studio cabins, whether there are two passengers or one passenger, have access to the Studio lounge(s) exclusively, except for when there is a ship sanctioned activity there geared for solo passengers.

Solo passengers not in the studio cabin category, whether they book the Garden Villa, or any other higher priced category do not by default get access to this lounge, except as mentioned above.

Seems to me all is as it should be...

Not sure I am able to see how a solo passenger in a higher category like a balcony cabin is being penalized? If you value the balcony over the lounge access, then you have made that choice...

Frankly - I really don't 'get' the OP's post.

How is NCL "penalizing" single passengers? If she wanted access to the Studio Lounge, she should have booked a studio. But she wanted a balcony, so she booked a balcony but wants access to an area that "belongs" to studio passengers. Her being a single is irrelevent.

The studio passengers got their cabins with an understanding that the studio lounge was for THEIR use - not anyone else who wants access. It would be extremely unfair to them to give access to THEIR lounge to anyone else who wanted it.

I think NCL has gone out of it's way by apparently opening the lounge for a limited period to other people on board and frankly I think even that is much more than a passenger in another type of cabin should reasonably expect. I hope NCL respects the privilages of Studio passengers and does not allow unlimited access for other passengers to this lounge.

This whole issue has NOTHING to do with customer service and everything to do with excessive misplaced feelings of "entitlement" to things one is absolutely NOT entitled to. Only those truly entitled to access to the Studio Lounge (booked in Studio cabins) should reasonably expect to get that access.

Could space limitations be the reason that they don't allow those solo travelers not in studio occomodations to come and go as they please? If too many non-studio passengers come to the lounge, possibly their studio passengers would not be able to enjoy one of their perks.

I've been on the Epic twice now (most recently last month) and I can tell you that if you show up at the lounge around 5:30, either the door will be unlocked or someone will let you in, regardless of what you might hear from NCL.

Solo travelers view the get-togethers as an opportunity to meet and talk to others traveling alone who might be looking to attend shows, go to dinner or whatever. It's the same as the solo gatherings they have at a bar on all the other ships, except that people actually go to this and you will meet people.

And there's little likelihood of it getting too crowded. Even though the studios are full, a large number of occupants are relatives or friends of people in non-studio cabins, and they spend their time with those people and not at the living room gathering.

There are going to be events for solo travelers, usually held on the first day and several other times. Join your roll call and meet others. What is the big deal? I completely agree with the poster who said crew areas are reserved for crew, The Haven for Haven guests. Maybe NCL should sell a daily/weekly pass for the Studio?

Avril

I can understand your predicament, but what happens if studio guests can't get a seat, or a decent level of service in the Studio Lounge due to others from outwith the studios using it?

Thanks to all for their comments.

However, the solo travelers gathering is in the lounge at 5:30 each day and all solo travelers regardless of class of stateroom are welcome DURING THAT TIME ONLY. The gathering is even published in the daily events paper.

This is what I wanted to hear. I would only want to be in the lounge in order to partake in the early evening get-togethers, so problem solved. I guess the NCL staff member wasn't aware of this and that would be why she didn't advise me of it.

Thanks again. :)

Avril

Thanks to all for their comments.

This is what I wanted to hear. I would only want to be in the lounge in order to partake in the early evening get-togethers, so problem solved. I guess the NCL staff member wasn't aware of this and that would be why she didn't advise me of it.

Thanks again. :)

Avril

You have to keep in mind that most of the customer service reps wouldn't know an NCL ship and what goes on onboard unless it fell on them;). They only have the info they are given to go by.

You obviously have a more attractive cabin with a balcony. So why are you so afraid of not getting even more perks? Are you going to forsake your balcony just to hang out in a lounge for those booked in the studio cabins? I imagine like many solo travelers, myself included, you will certainly have many, many opportunities to meet and great other solo travelers, and probably a few that you'd wished you hadn't. Would you be this upset on Cunard when you couldn't eat in the Princess or Queen's Grilles because you weren't booked in a particular cabin class? Lighten up and enjoy life.

Archived