toursbylocals.com

wannaberetired

Hello All,

Looking to book a tour in Marseilles/Le Baux/Arles and came across toursbylocals.com. Is anyone familiar with them or used them? Trip Advisor reviews seem OK but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with them. Also, any ideas on private tour companies in that are would be helpful. Thanks!

Hello All,

Looking to book a tour in Marseilles/Le Baux/Arles and came across toursbylocals.com. Is anyone familiar with them or used them? Trip Advisor reviews seem OK but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with them. Also, any ideas on private tour companies in that are would be helpful. Thanks!

We've used them twice in that area of France but probably won't again because they are too hit and miss.

The first time, we were assigned a retired cleric from (coincidentally) Arles who was fantastic. He was smart, beautifully spoken, enthusiastic and friendly, we were thrilled.

Two years later we used TBL again and, got a woman guide who -we now joke- must have been a retired member of the Marseilles Chamber of Commerce. Wherever we were on our Tour, she talked about how that city was older, cleaner, more historic, had better views, the climate was better, and how Charles De Gaulle just loved it.

After a while this became a running joke, and to her credit, she did laugh with us, but she NEVER STOPPED.

I Googled tours in Ponta Delgada with them & clicked through to the tour & guide I wanted, I also saw this guide featured on Trip Advisor, where he had his direct contact details/website listed, so I contacted him direct.....

Toursbylocals.com $312

Direct with the guide €180

Same itinerary/driver/car......but definitely NOT the same price!!!!!

Tours by Locals takes their bite out of the price, hence the markup. It's the same principle as with book the ship's excursions -- you are paying the middleman.

That said, I did use Tours by Locals for a tour in Israel and it was really terrific. The guide also mentioned to me the same thing -- that I would've been better off to go to him directly. Unfortunately, I didn't run across his personal information when I was searching. Next time, I'll try a little harder to do so....

I usually find a guide I like on the web site for Tours by Locals then do a google search for the guide I like and go direct. The web site charges about a 15 to 20% Sur-charge. The advantage is if something does go wrong, guide doesn't show etc. you can work something out with Tours by Locals rather then the tour guide directly. I have never used this before as I book direct with the guides.

Tours by Locals is a good source to find and research guides so is Tripadvisor, look at the forum of the city etc. and type in the name of guide and you may find a direct link.

Hope this helps,

Capt. Ron

• 2 months later...

We used Tours By Locals in Montevideo and would highly recommend them. Our guide was very professional and friendly. She was the wife of a retired architect and knew so much about the buildings there. She was a delight. Good luck.

Archived