Shipboard Credit

2geezers

I was told these credits are up to the ship to provide. I always thought they were complimentary from the travel agent. We have gotten nothing on our cruise leaving this Sunday on the Solstice. It seems we have always gotten something on previous cruises.

Cruise lines provide some OBC and TA's also provide it. Generally, neither is required to give any. For instance, RCI and Carnival Corp give OBC to shareholders of their company. Some lines (Princess and Cunard that I know of) give OBC to military veterans who meet the requirements. Others give discounts to veterans. Princess gives OBC on every cruise starting with your 21st on. Many give OBC for booking online or putting an open deposit on a future cruise.

It varies. Some cruises have no OBC; usually it's a cruise that is selling so well that there is no incentive for the cruise lines or TA's to sweeten the deal.

Sometimes the cruise line offers OBC for a certain cruise or cabin type. Sometimes a TA does. Sometimes you can get OBC from both the cruise line and a TA--always a yahoo! moment.

You do have to look at the bottom line as well. A more expensive cabin with OBC might not be as good a deal as a less expensive cabin with no OBC. You also have to compare apples to apples, that is, the same type of cabin on the same ship.

It's confusing and sometimes frustrating trying to figure all this out as offers vary and change so much.

And be very careful as some of the OBC cannot be used to pay the DSC.

I'm not sure about Celebrity, but we just did an NCL cruise and the OBC from our TA and NCL could not be used for the DSC.

What id DSD?

Archived