Carnival vs. Other cruise Lines

mzmartinez

I agree with the other people. Give them a try. Different cruise ships have different perks. The most conservative trip we took was last year on the Celebrity. It could be that it was during schooltime and the itinerary. Another one was going to Alaska. Oh Canada was a different cruise too.

The rest have been warm weather related. I think it is a difference in what people like.

I've never been on it, but from reading the boards, I don't get the impression that NCL is stuffy at all- that would be my next choice. However, I really don't like the idea of paying for meals (and shows?)

RCCL doesn't seem stuffy either, but it doesn't interest me.

Celebrity seems more formal, but not stuffy.

I think HAL, Cunard, and Princess seem stuffy.

The next cruise we book will be Celebrity, but only because they are the only option for the ports. We cruise for ports, and Carnival takes us to the same ones- until the service REALLY drops, I'm not spending more money for a ride to the same places.

EVERY mainstream line has fee based restaurants in addition to the MDR. The ONLY show I know of that has a fee on NCL is Cirque on the Epic.

You are right about one thing....NCL is not stuffy at all....the Epic so far has been my favorite and most fun cruise....

EVERY mainstream line has fee based restaurants in addition to the MDR. The ONLY show I know of that has a fee on NCL is Cirque on the Epic.

You are right about one thing....NCL is not stuffy at all....the Epic so far has been my favorite and most fun cruise....

I just get the feeling that those fee based places are much more a "part" of the experience of NCL (or even Celebrity and RCCL) than they are of Carnival. Like I'd be missing something by only eating in the MDR.

I read a CC article today about a New York to Bermuda cruise, and I thought it was NCL- they mentioned a fee based show. I thought it was for a comedian. Maybe it was out of date information.

I've been lurking on a lot of other boards, because we are wanting to try something new. I'm trying to get a feeling of the line that is best for me.

Your opinions aren't based on experience. You have no clue whether Princess is stuffy.

They are not based on experience on the ship, but they are based on experience interacting/observing the behavior of Princess passengers on message boards. If I were to sail on Princess, and found that it was not at all true, or if the message board topics change and my opinion changes, I'm not stuck on that opinion. However, my experience on cruise critic tells me I'd be more likely to enjoy lines other than Princess. "I think they seem stuffy" is not the same thing as "Princess is definitely stuffy". I also have experience with Princess, Celebrity, NCL, and RCCL passengers on our excursions in ports (we book through local companies, not the ship). Can I not form opinions of those passengers?

You're welcome to not agree with my opinions, but I still get to have them. If we can't form opinions based on experience on the boards, what the heck is the purpose being on the boards?

I just get the feeling that those fee based places are much more a "part" of the experience of NCL (or even Celebrity and RCCL) than they are of Carnival. Like I'd be missing something by only eating in the MDR.

I read a CC article today about a New York to Bermuda cruise, and I thought it was NCL- they mentioned a fee based show. I thought it was for a comedian. Maybe it was out of date information.

I've been lurking on a lot of other boards, because we are wanting to try something new. I'm trying to get a feeling of the line that is best for me.

My last cruise was on the Epic and it was my favorite to date. The only fee based restaurant we went to was Cirque Dreams and it was well worth the cost for the entertainment provided during the meal. We had no need or desire to go to any of the other fee restaurants. We ate in Taste 3 nights, Manhattan Room 1 night, Cirque 1 night and O'Sheehan's the other 2 nights. The food in the MDRs was good. We loved O'Sheehan's and their buffet and pizza is great (much better than CCL IMHO). IMHO having more fee restaurants does not mean than NCL is "nickel and diming" you...it just means they are giving you more "choices" which you do not need to choose if you do not want to. They have just as many, if not more, included restaurants as any other line. On top of that...we love Freestyle.

All the shows we went to (besides Cirque Dreams) were included with cruise and they were, in our opinion, amazing. Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams, and Howl at the Moon were some of the best shows we have seen on a cruise. You are right that NCL is not stuffy. In fact, IMHO, it is more casual than CCL.

OP...my suggestion is to look at "ships" not "cruise lines" that will meet what you want out of a vacation and ignore any "opinions" that are based on subjective things such food, service, and entertainment as the person giving their "opinion" may have very different likes/dislikes than you do.

We find ourselves in this same position. We have enjoyed Carnival and I like how "familiar" it is but there are a few areas that I feel are lacking.

We aren't "drinkers" and we aren't "sun worshipers". During the day, there is a lot left to be desired on a Carnival ship for us. We usually watch a movie in the cabin, take a nap or head to the spa facilities ( if it's a cloud9 spa). I just wish Carnival would have more activities for people during the day whether it's pottery, showing a newly released movie in the theater with popcorn, having a show of some sort... something. The other thing we enjoyed was the Cloud 9 spa amenities but they're available on 3 ships, 1 that we've already cruised and the other 2 are pretty far away from us (We live in Ohio).

We really liked the Oasis & Allure of the Seas. They have great entertainment options and it appears they have a decent spa but the price is an issue. An inside will cost more than a balcony on Carnival. We checked out the Freedom of the Seas and it's still more expensive, but it doesn't appear to have any special spa facilities but it does have ice skating shows.

We looked at the Epic for obvious reasons but found that it's not available during the time we're going anywhere in the US and when it's in the US it goes to the same places we've recently been.

We want a flexibility as far as the shows go. We thought ice skating shows, murder mystery shows, acrobatic shows etc. sound very interesting and...NEW. I wish Carnival would at least introduce one of these types of shows similar to what other lines provide. I also wish Carnival would update their spa facilities because the Cloud9 spa is great and I'm sure they make a ton of money since the passes always sell out.

On Carnival we're looking at the Liberty because it has the 2.0 upgrades but they seem to have forgotten something important to people who want to relax... an updated spa! Now that Carnival is doing away with adults only pool areas we don't get in the pool. The thalasso pool provides and alternative for us.

I'm really confused about what line I'm going to book. Everything is up in the air at this point. The other option is to book the Dream again, but we've been to the Western ports as well :o

My last cruise was on the Epic and it was my favorite to date. The only fee based restaurant we went to was Cirque Dreams and it was well worth the cost for the entertainment provided during the meal. We had no need or desire to go to any of the other fee restaurants. We ate in Taste 3 nights, Manhattan Room 1 night, Cirque 1 night and O'Sheehan's the other 2 nights. The food in the MDRs was good. We loved O'Sheehan's and their buffet and pizza is great (much better than CCL IMHO). IMHO having more fee restaurants does not mean than NCL is "nickel and diming" you...it just means they are giving you more "choices" which you do not need to choose if you do not want to. They have just as many, if not more, included restaurants as any other line. On top of that...we love Freestyle.

All the shows we went to (besides Cirque Dreams) were included with cruise and they were, in our opinion, amazing. Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams, and Howl at the Moon were some of the best shows we have seen on a cruise. You are right that NCL is not stuffy. In fact, IMHO, it is more casual than CCL.

OP...my suggestion is to look at "ships" not "cruise lines" that will meet what you want out of a vacation and ignore any "opinions" that are based on subjective things such food, service, and entertainment as the person giving their "opinion" may have very different likes/dislikes than you do.

I agree with you. NCL buffet blows Carnivals buffet out of the water!!

Archived