Cruise director Willie Aames

Cruiser Jane

You never know who the CD or anyone else including the officers are until you actually get on board. After 10 cruises I don't think the advance brochure has been right more than 2-3 times.

It must be a nightmare for a cruise line to manage personnel and also publish information 2-3 months beforehand. We just enjoy whoever is on board.

If I recall correctly, when I spoke with Willie on our Christmas Regatta cruise, he told me he was on his way back to Regent after February 22nd.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

Hi candyapple - it was good to meet you at the M&G on the Christmas cruise. Hope you are doing well. Laura

Hi candyapple - it was good to meet you at the M&G on the Christmas cruise. Hope you are doing well. Laura

Hi Laura...it was great to chat with you and your mother. At that time, this upcoming back to back ( March 19 Miami to Rome) was not even a thought...you inspired me with all your cruises!! LOL

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
According to a post on Regent, Willie is on the Regent Seven Seas Voyager (as of to-day)

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

:( Oceania's loss is Regent's gain...

We had Willie as a CD on Nautica last year when we cruised from Istanbul to Venice. I must admit I was a bit taken aback when we first met him as he is larger than life (albiet 5ft nothing of him!!) but we soon figured him out!! What a delight!! Willie made our cruise so much better than past cruises. What a shame he's no longer at Oceania :(

:( Oceania's loss is Regent's gain...

We had Willie as a CD on Nautica last year when we cruised from Istanbul to Venice. I must admit I was a bit taken aback when we first met him as he is larger than life (albiet 5ft nothing of him!!) but we soon figured him out!! What a delight!! Willie made our cruise so much better than past cruises. What a shame he's no longer at Oceania :(

It's fairly certain he'll be back on Oceania...Prestige Cruise Holdings is the parent company of both Oceania and Regent, and staff is often rotated between the cruise lines.

It's fairly certain he'll be back on Oceania...Prestige Cruise Holdings is the parent company of both Oceania and Regent, and staff is often rotated between the cruise lines.

We hope he will be on at least 1 of the 4 cruises we have booked with oeania for thi year and next,

~Doris~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Drifting a little here, but does anyone know if ex Silversea CD Ray Solaire is still at sea or has he finally retired??

I know he did move over to Regent after Silversea & that he has done a voyage of so with "O".

Ray is very old school & was the consummate professional on every cruise I took with him on board.

• 4 months later...
We just returned from the South Pacific cruise and had Willie Aames as our CD. I had my reserves about him, but loved him! He did everything he could to make our cruise more memorable. He was great to our Cruise Critics. This cruise was very difficult to get to so half of the ship didn't arrive till 10pm. We stayed in a hotel in Papeete so we were there at 11am. I found the Concierge, Diago, and told him I was arranging some CC group get togethers. He was a tremendous help -"let me call Willie to come meet you". Willis was so accommodating. I told him I had arranged with the group to meet for dinner the second night in the MDR. I also told the DR Mgr. of our plan. He was no help. I invited Willie to join us and he did! He even bought several bottles of wine for all of us to share! He sat next to me and I had an opportunity to get to know him. He is a remarkable guy and appears to be making a strong comeback. He typed up my invitation for our M&G which I decided to have on the 4th day (first sea day) in the evening. He suggested since nothing was going on in the Regatta lounge that we could have it there. He couldn't show up but the GM, Rafael Cinque joined us. I was offered a mic and asked each couple to come up and introduce themselves. The GM talked first! We really got to know each other better. This was the best CC Meet and Greet we've ever had because there were no interruptions - we had the whole lounge to ourselves.

Willis also put in some extra shows which were great! He asked the entertainers if they would be willing to do an extra event. He let them sing anything they wanted to so they were able to sing their best songs which they enjoyed doing. Willie also sings very well and sang for us! He really is quite the actor and entertainer! He also arranged for an afternoon show which was a repeat of the best show the entertainers did. We enjoyed it the second time as well. He is a very smart CD and works his job hard. He was everywhere on the ship. I also ran into our General Manager and Captain Brajcic (whom I love) several times on board.

If you have Willie, do attend some of the extra shows! They will change your mind about onboard entertainment on Oceania. And be sure to introduce yourself and let him know you are a CC member!

Cheers,

Jan

when you talk about willie aames, are you talking "eight is enough willie aames"? If so i would love to get a msg to him. He and i met and became very good friends in portland oregon when we both worked for pamplin. Its been ten years since i have talked to him and i would love to get back in touch with him... can anyone help me?

april

April,

We are leaving on October 7 to Istanbul to join October 12 cruise and Willie is our CD. I would be happy to give him message from you. lynne.skerratt@telus.net I also have a fax or can print an attachment letter from you.

quote=springflowerart;35543349]when you talk about willie aames, are you talking "eight is enough willie aames"? If so i would love to get a msg to him. He and i met and became very good friends in portland oregon when we both worked for pamplin. Its been ten years since i have talked to him and i would love to get back in touch with him... can anyone help me?

april

willie was our cd on our trip in the south pacific in january, 2012. he was the BEST!!! we are hoping that he is doing well and that he will be the cruise director on one of our next oceania cruises.

marina in february, 2014....please, willie, be there!!!

We've been on three O cruises with either Mr. Ames or with Leslie Jon as CD. They are very different, but both are very outgoing, "hands on" people who enjoy meeting and serving others. They are both very efficient, and I don't know how they carry the details in their minds they do. Both are high energy folks and seem to be everywhere at one time. All this on top of the number of people they coordinate and supervise? These are pretty impressive folks!

I've read about two other O CD's here on CC, and people seem to really enjoy them too. This makes me believe O is just really good at picking, training and retaining (this may be the hardest part when you have really capable employees) these folks.

Does this really surprise anyone? :)