Seabourn Spirit... Service Standards?

Hello everyone !

I'm considering one of the 10 nighters out of Venice, aboard the SB Spirit... my thoughts are below.

Number 1- it would seem that, like any specialized business to expand so quickly, SB has had some issues to iron out over the last year or two in terms of service, especially on the smaller sisters... Has that been rectified... how severe, if at all has the decline been ? Are they starting to treat pax like numbers, not individuals?

Number 2- how formal are the smaller sisters?

Number 3- what cutbacks have SB been making that are more pronounced?

Number 4- In the Med in June/July/August, should I book a french balcony suite? I do realize it is not a full balcony, which is what I like about it- just like a large patio BUT is the whether in the Med at that time good enough for using the balcony at times and not ruining the climate in the suite (i.e. stuffy + humid).

Thank you !

Hello everyone !

I'm considering one of the 10 nighters out of Venice, aboard the SB Spirit... my thoughts are below.

Number 1- it would seem that, like any specialized business to expand so quickly, SB has had some issues to iron out over the last year or two in terms of service, especially on the smaller sisters... Has that been rectified... how severe, if at all has the decline been ? Are they starting to treat pax like numbers, not individuals?

Number 2- how formal are the smaller sisters?

Number 3- what cutbacks have SB been making that are more pronounced?

Number 4- In the Med in June/July/August, should I book a french balcony suite? I do realize it is not a full balcony, which is what I like about it- just like a large patio BUT is the whether in the Med at that time good enough for using the balcony at times and not ruining the climate in the suite (i.e. stuffy + humid).

Thank you !

IMO, staffing standards have gone down very little, and passengers are still definitely treated as individuals.

Not very formal - you would probably have one 'formal optional' night when a jacket, preferably with tie, would suffice, but a jacket will also be required without tie on some other evenings in the dining room.

There did seem to be a falling off in wine standards, but most agree that this has now improved - maybe due to CCers complaining?

A so-called balcony would be very nice in this area at this time of year, BUT it is by no means a patio; bear in mind it is just a floor to ceiling opening window with room outside to just stand if your feet are not too big! But to have the full views and fresh air is good.

Do try; it is a good length of cruise with nice ports. Personally I would try to do June - slightly less hot, and less likelihood of children on board.:)

I was recently on the Spirit in the Caribbean and it was wonderful, full service and amenities, fabulous crew and staff. And with >300 days I am in a position to be able to evaluate.

Just got off the Spirit for a Caribbean cruise and the service is excellent. Loved getting an invitation to the "hosted" dinners and meeting new people. The food was very good and the portions appropriate. My only complaint was "not enough chocolate desserts". But- one of the asst maitre d's had the chef make me a chocolate flourless cake that was absolutely delicious. Good service indeed!

Thanks,

Kathy

Wripro,

I must admit that prior to my recent holiday cruise on the Quest this was am major concern. However, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised to find the service on the Quest every bit as personal and attentive as on our many small Seabourn ship cruises.Obviously I this observation is only based on my experience.I do feel that just the simple act of remembering a crew member's name and using it when addressing them goes far in terms of receiving good service.

DH and I were on the Spirit in February. We found the service to be excellent, actually a step better than on a cruise in 2011 where there were several issues with service in the restaurants. The staff was attentive and when there were minor blips, fixed the issues very quickly. The vacation was very relaxing. I would not hesitate to book again. :)

I certainly agree that the service on the larger ships is excellent too. This could be just my feeling but I prefer the intimacy of the relationship between staff and passenger on the triplets.

We have found the attitude of staff to be just as friendly and personable on Sojourn and Quest as on Pride and Legend. I agree that taking an interest in the staff, and remembering their names, makes a big difference. We all like to be recognised, and have an interest taken in us, and Seabourn staff and crew are no different to the rest of us.

Archived